GT-001 foot switch and use in a live setting

Started by adagosto, December 24, 2014, 08:51:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adagosto

Hello all, Happy Holidays.

Question about the GT-001 use with foot switches (FS-6).  First, can the foot switch be programmed in a way that I can have switch "A" control the clean and dirty tones and switch "B" could be used to turn on/off modulation?  This is just an example,  but this would be a good start.  Basically I'm trying to determine if the GT-001 can be used on the fly, meaning in the middle of a song I need to be able to change the guitar tone and control the effects without stopping to press a button.  With the FS-6, can this be done effectively?

This leads to the next question, what are your thoughts on using the GT-001 live?  Presumably, the user would program all the patches of tone to complete a set list and just call up that number for each song.  You could probably get several songs out of one patch, but anyway, is this a gig-able live tool? 

I know some of you are saying,  just get the GT-100.  That's fair,  but the primary purpose of this unit is to record and provide amp modeling and multi effects.   This gigging ability is what would let this unit stand out from other competing units I'm looking at.

One other question.  Can you simultaneously record your voice and guitar and have each voice get recorded onto is own recording track in the software?

Thanks all,

gumtown

Quote from: adagosto on December 24, 2014, 08:51:48 AM
Question about the GT-001 use with foot switches (FS-6).  First, can the foot switch be programmed in a way that I can have switch "A" control the clean and dirty tones and switch "B" could be used to turn on/off modulation?  This is just an example,  but this would be a good start.  Basically I'm trying to determine if the GT-001 can be used on the fly, meaning in the middle of a song I need to be able to change the guitar tone and control the effects without stopping to press a button.  With the FS-6, can this be done effectively?
Yes it can do that and more, you get a pedal function for each FS (A&B) and also eight "Assigns" to use between them which you can switch any 8 GT-001 parameters at the same time. These are set per patch so each patch can control up to 10 parameters between the 2 foot switch pedals.

This leads to the next question, what are your thoughts on using the GT-001 live?  Presumably, the user would program all the patches of tone to complete a set list and just call up that number for each song.  You could probably get several songs out of one patch, but anyway, is this a gig-able live tool? 
I don't have the GT-001 but know it's specs well, I have a GT-100. The GT-001 is very limited on live control, you have the FS-6 pedals, and the front panel has the 4 favourite patch selections, but really needs midi control to add an expression pedal and patch change pedals. The only way to do that (for lack of a generic midi port) is to use an interfacing computer via USB to connect external midi control.

I know some of you are saying,  just get the GT-100.  That's fair,  but the primary purpose of this unit is to record and provide amp modeling and multi effects.   This gigging ability is what would let this unit stand out from other competing units I'm looking at.
The GT-100 can do the same as the GT-001 for USB recording and re-amping and USB effects.

One other question.  Can you simultaneously record your voice and guitar and have each voice get recorded onto is own recording track in the software?
No, the XLR and jack inputs are selectable by either one, but not both, you will need another USB audio interface to do that.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

adagosto

Thank you so much for the very thorough response.  Nice job.

I must say, I'm on the fence with this unit.   It seems like a more capable unit than the Line 6 Studio UX2, but I know that will do everything I need.

Thank you again!

teleholic

Hi gumtown, I'm interested in using the gt-001 in a live context as I'm putting together a boss only board and was thinking of using the gt-001 much like a line 6 m9 or möbius.. Could u please elaborate on the limited control of the ctl/exp jack? If I connect an fs-6 , would I be able to change patches?

Alt scenario, what could I control if I connected an ev-5 to it? Is there a filter effect where I can set min and max values to fake a wah with the ev-5? Also, could any amp sims be bypassed as i'll likely be using an od-1 and sd-1 for dirt.. Thanks!

Ps : just read on boss site that one could connect up to 2 footswitches? How would I go about doing that? Thanks again!

Elantric

Just a FWIW - The Boss GP-10 shares the same "lack of 5 pin MIDI I/O ports as the GT-001.

The GT-001 has a robust MIDI implementation and supports User Control Assignments mapped to MIDi CC# events.

While I do not own a GT-001 - I lay good odds that the $35 Raspberry Pi will work for the GT-001 ( same as it does for the GP-10) to provide a hardware path to true 5 pin MIDI I/O ports  - to allow a typical MIDI foot pedal to control the GT-001   

Read
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=12067.0
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11998.0

and the PrimovaSound MIDX-10 is confirmed to work as a method to add the missing 5 pin DIN MIDI I/O jacks to Boss GT-001
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15758.0

gumtown

What Elantric recommends is the best path for realtime control over the GT-001.

The external footswitch/EXP pedal only gives you either one EXPression pedal or 2 x footswitches (1 x FS-6 dual switch, or 2 x FS-5 single switch), but not both at the same time.

with midi control the GT-001 can control more than 9 items per patch.
The most handiest controls are EXPression pedal which you can use the GT-001 provided input allowing realtime control over Foot volume or Wah and effect mixing, and with either a Raspberry Pi USB midi host device or laptop, with a small midi patch changer pedal.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

teleholic

Thanks guys for the replies! I'm trying to keep things simple as i'll likely be using the gt-001 for the occasional effect that i don't have in a boss compact which means the favorite switches would prolly suffice.. I'm more interested in what an exp pedal can (or can't) control..is one limited only to vol/wah/pitch bend? can any parameter of any of the od/comp/delay/fx1/fx2 block be assigned to the exp pedal? Thanks again!

gumtown

Any parameter can be controlled with the EXP pedal, up to 9 at a time, 1 parameter with the pedal function menu, and 8 parameters with the 8 Assigns.
You can do some pretty complex/slick effects with the EXP pedal and the assigns also can be controlled with input level and built in LFO's (wave pedal) and event triggering (internal pedal).

teleholic

wow thanks gumtown, think i'm pretty much sold..now to hunt for one..no one seems to be selling them used, seems the sales for the gt-001 are pretty poor..

gumtown

They are still quite new, only been out on sale for a few months,
everyone that has one seems to like it,
so I guess none are being sold used yet.

I guess that is better than seeing the used market flooded with them.

teleholic

Hey you're right, for some reason I thought they've been out over a year.. Must've associated it with the gt-100 launch..

teleholic

Hey Gumtown, sorry but i've gt another question about the gt-001 and i figured who better to ask than the floorboard designer himself!
Can an expression pedal turn assigns on/off in patches? much like how i used the pedal on the GR-55 to switch effects or turn an assign on/off? I figured since there's only one jack for exp/ctl it'd be cool if an exp pedal could be used this way so i can turn on/off effects and use it as an exp pedal if so assigned..thanks!

gumtown

A pedal can't turn Assigns themselves on/off,
but can use Assigns to turn effects or parameters on/off.
So (yes) using an external EXP pedal can be used to switch effects, even over part of it's travel,
and using the rest of it's travel to control other parameters.

teleholic

Ah sorry that was what i meant, using the exp pedal to control the assigns...that's great news that an exp pedal can do that..thanks once again Gumtown!

neilwillford

so how would i turn the expression pedal off if the value is 0
and on if the value is greater than 0

Elantric

Quoteso how would i turn the expression pedal off if the value is 0
and on if the value is greater than 0

review the Expression Pedal Active Range Min / Range Max settings

(Like most Roland / Boss Gear as described in documentation below

Programming Roland/Boss COSM FX
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=88.0