SY-300 - The Electric Piano Challenge

Started by Rhcole, July 05, 2016, 06:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhcole

Looks like were starting to get a few people interested in programming this box.
Finally...  ::)

Anyway, I have made and deleted a few electric pianos from my system. The problem as I see it is that you can get pretty good lead or mono voices, but the poly voices when set to an epiano sound tend to shred and sound bad. I presently have an epiano that just doesn't stand up well next to EHX's Key9. That's my standard of comparison.

Let's see what you can do. Post MP3s please.

JiveTurkey

No idea where to start in this challenge, though I am definitely interested in what people come up with. My patches are all hodge podges and kitchen sink approaches. My from scratch skills are not up to snuff.

Belewguitar

Sure they are JT! We'd love your contribution! Everyone has a unique perspective!

It's just FUN :)
;)
NO my guitar isn't broken, its just missing its head.

JiveTurkey

Quote from: Belewguitar on July 06, 2016, 09:42:43 AM
Sure they are JT! We'd love your contribution! Everyone has a unique perspective!

It's just FUN :)
;)
Most definitely! I am seriously digging on the upswing in the Patch Exchange!

Rhcole

You gotta' be able to play complex chords on this setting or it will be a useless patch.

I think the trick is to work 70% with the regular guitar sound using filters, compression, etc. That is necessary to preserve clean polyphony. Then, carefully blend in octaves with the Osc voices to give it some body.

My best attempt thus far sounds pretty good at first, but when you start playing jazzy voicings it breaks up too much.

I am a chordal/polyphonic sort of guy, and thus many of my synth patches are programmed to disguise the SY's inherent poly weaknesses.
I program like a stage magician, distract your attention over here while I perform slight-of-hand behind the scenes.

JiveTurkey

Quote from: Rhcole on July 06, 2016, 10:17:19 AM
You gotta' be able to play complex chords on this setting or it will be a useless patch.

I think the trick is to work 70% with the regular guitar sound using filters, compression, etc. That is necessary to preserve clean polyphony. Then, carefully blend in octaves with the Osc voices to give it some body.

My best attempt thus far sounds pretty good at first, but when you start playing jazzy voicings it breaks up too much.

I am a chordal/polyphonic sort of guy, and thus many of my synth patches are programmed to disguise the SY's inherent poly weaknesses.
I program like a stage magician, distract your attention over here while I perform slight-of-hand behind the scenes.

8) ;D

I'd give your patch a go. With no accompanying MP3, of course  :-[