SY-300- The blue box

Started by Brak(E)man, January 31, 2018, 08:37:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brak(E)man

Everytime I play or fiddle around with this little blue box I'm amazed.
It's by far the best guitar synth I've had or tried and also one of the better synths.
The seemless connection between guitar and osc , the fact that what you feed into it changes the sound drastic, the ease of bending or in my case sliding the fretless. All that makes it great and superb.
It's a keeper and will IMO be up there with Gr300.

The major flaw polytonaly aside , I've come to terms with the box.

Using it more and more with fretless both electric and acoustic.

Wish they would improve poly pitch or make a 13 pin

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=20024.0

swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

chrish

One strength of the sy300 is the ability to input any audio source.

One of the techniques I like to use is to feed a long wave sequence from an old Korg wavestation AD into the sy-300 in order to trigger the oscillators.

Feeding the analog GR 300 into the sy-300 extends  the sound palette of the GR300.

The sy-300 really handles complex wave forms well and inputting other synths results in some interesting atmospheric pads for ambient type music creation.

Brak(E)man

Quote from: chrish on January 31, 2018, 09:33:40 AM
One strength of the sy300 is the ability to input any audio source.

One of the techniques I like to use is to feed a long wave sequence from an old Korg wavestation AD into the sy-300 in order to trigger the oscillators.

Feeding the analog GR 300 into the sy-300 extends  the sound palette of the GR300.

The sy-300 really handles complex wave forms well and inputting other synths results in some interesting atmospheric pads for ambient type music creation.

I'd say it's both it's strength and it's Akille's heel. ;D

The problem with exchanging patches is that the SY won't sound the same with two different guitars nor even less with something completely different.

And it's great at lead sounds as well as ambient.
IMO it has one flaw other than that I'm a happy camper.

( that picture of yours makes me se double )

- Lydia Lunch

admin

Quote from: Brak(E)man on January 31, 2018, 09:56:56 AM

The problem with exchanging patches is that the SY won't sound the same with two different guitars nor even less with something completely different.

Exactly!

But we can still share our SY-300 patch creations  - just state what third party gear was used, and a demo MP3 of the SY-300 effected  sound

But IMHO this is NOT the box for creating authentic guitar modeling tones.

in other words if someone posts :

"here is my SY-300 patch that makes your Strat sound like a Les Paul"

Just know that others may not be able to get same results with their gear

Brak(E)man

Quote from: admsustainiac on January 31, 2018, 10:26:04 AM
Exactly!

But we can still share out SY-300 patch creations  - just state what third party gear was used, and a demo MP3 of the SY-300 effected  sound

But IMHO this is NOT the box for creating authentic guitar modeling tones.

in other words if someone posts :

"here is my SY-300 patch that makes your Strat sound like a Les Paul"

Just know that others may not be able to get same results with their gear

Also the input settings affect the sound enormously.

- Lydia Lunch

JiveTurkey

I just bought my second one a day ago. I am going to combine it with my GR33. 33 for instrument tones and the SY for 80s synth stuff. I have no lofty uses for it other than cover band territory but I know it will do great for what I want it to do. I am looking forward to getting it back on my board!

Rhcole

The SY-300 seems to hang in there no matter what configuration of gear I put together. It is - almost frustratingly - mandatory for my setup at this point.
EVEN WITH crappy poly sounds I have enough added boxes to minimize those flaws to the point of almost vanishing.

AND, I actually sold a Strymon Big Sky reverb because I can get better atmospheric sounds from the SY. I thought of posting an entire set of atmospheric verbs and echos on this site, but never got around to it.

I even thought of writing a post comparing the SY-300 to Dagobah, the planet Yoda is from in Star Wars. You know Dagobah... swampy, murky, foggy, and gooey with organic matter sprouting everywhere. That's how ambient patches on the SY sound to me!

Brak(E)man

I've come to realize that with fretless I can use chords that I can't with a fretted guitar.
I don't know why though, not yet anyway.

- Lydia Lunch

Elantric

QuoteAND, I actually sold a Strymon Big Sky reverb because I can get better atmospheric sounds from the SY. I thought of posting an entire set of atmospheric verbs and echos on this site, but never got around to it.

Please share!

But many former "Strymon Big Sky owners moved to the Boss RV-500

JiveTurkey

What @Elantric said; RHCole!

Do you find you can recreate some of the Synth9 stuff on the SY300, RHC? I had one for a day or two but it was defective. Ignoring the glaring no presets issue and the whole "listen to it cut out randomly and not work" part  :-X it did have some really neat sounds.

Rhcole

Many of the patches I have already posted, but there are certainly lurker patches that I make here and there for my own perverse enjoyment that somebody else might like, I suppose. The SY-300 can stand alone as a dark reverb and echo machine, there is nothing else that has quite the same sound. If you know how to use it right, it can sound like 5 different EarthQuaker pedals.

JT, as far as the Synth 9 sounds, I was just using it last night with the SY. You can copy many of the S9 bass sounds for sure, and you can one-up the S9 with vastly more control over the sounds. Where the S9 beats the SY is on its string patch, high-note pitch conversions and it's rubbery portamento patch. The S9 and the SY actually integrate better together than with the Mel9, because the S9 SOUNDS like it is an extension of the SY, whereas the Mel9 always sounds like a group of sounds patched in.

If the C9 didn't glitch so badly it would be on the same order- it sounds like an appendage to the SY when combined with it. But, I had to sell my C9 because the pitch shift technology from 3 years ago made me grit my teeth after awhile.

The Mel9 is the cutoff point to me. Everything before that is just not good enough to use.

aliensporebomb

I'd like to hear the better reverb/delay sounds on the SY.  Had I known!
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Rhcole

ASB, I'm amazed you never bought one of these. You and I both appreciate good ambient tools and the SY may be the most capable 1/4" "ambient-in-a-box" toy you can buy.  This is especially the case if you like your ambient tones to have some grit, grease and grime as opposed to shiny sweet new-age sounds. The SY is absolutely less Kitarro and more Robert Rich.

chrish

Quote from: aliensporebomb on January 31, 2018, 07:40:37 PM
I'd like to hear the better reverb/delay sounds on the SY.  Had I known!
I actually like the Reverb and delays through the analog input section of the Korg Triton rack.

To my ears they just sound better than the Sy 300.

We all know it's a matter of personal taste. Try before you buy.

After owning two boss sy-300, I heard your sounds through the VG 99 using just the highly effected guitar models and I purchased one of those for the cleanness of sound.

I haven't been able to provide a sound sample yet however I've mentioned before that I run some of your vg99 sounds through the sy-300 to trigger the oscillators and it's a very cool effect.

If only Roland had put a 13 pin  hex input on the Sy300 along with the quarter inch input.