SY-300 - How to get stereo thru guitar cables?

Started by anlwpi, January 25, 2018, 06:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anlwpi

Some of the patches have stereo sound, which sounds good thru my headphones plugged into the phones jack of the SY.

But when I try to plug it into Ableton thru my Focusrite 2-channel, it doesn't sound good. It's a mono signal. I tried plugging two cables in - one from each r and l of the SY going into the 2 channels of my focusrite, but that doesn't produce the stereo sound either.

How can I get that stereo sound into my recording?

gumtown

your recording will be stereo if you are recording something like Left to track 1 and right to track 2.
It is the playback, you need to pan your track 1 hard to the left, track 2 hard to the right.

Depends on how you set up your recording tracks, but it sounds like you have 2 mono tracks,
one with SY-300 left and the other with SY-300 right.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

anlwpi

Ok, I tried dialing full left and full right for my 2 channels on my focusrite interface, and plugged those into every combination of the 4 outs on the SY. I can get some kind of stereo-ish sound, but its vastly different from the stereo sound that I get if I plug my headphones into the L/phones on the SY (which sounds great).

How is the stereo sound of the SY meant to be recorded? Any other ideas on getting it into Ableton somehow?

Brak(E)man

Use SY300 as a usb soundcard , easiest and to get the best sound.

(and a cable from left and right out on SY into focusrite should produce a stereo image.
If you're using direct monitoring on focusrite then pan the inputs.
If you're using ableton to listen to the SY pan the channels or use a stereo channel)
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

Kevin M

Normally audio interfaces let you group 2 inputs as a single stereo signal. You should connect the SY300 main out L to one input of the Focusrite and SY300 main out R to the other input of the Focusrite. Then verify that these two inputs can be grouped as a stereo signal - either in Ableton, or whatever mix utility the Focusrite comes with.

anlwpi

From trying today, I don't think these things work. I might be doing something wrong though.

I set the SY as the interface (in which case I plug in my monitor phones into the SY), and it records the processed guitar from the SY into Ableton fine. But upon playback, it doesn't sound at all like the stereo from the headphones again.

I have also tried Kevin M's solution, but without trying to group them - instead, I recorded the SY L out to one track, panned one way, and the SY R to another track, panned the other way. You get a kind of stereo, but it's not the stereo you get from headphones in the SY (which is a really nice bouncing around sound between the two headphones). In other words, what I'm seeing is that the L/phones has a great stereo sound of the SY, which is put into mono if you pipe it into a DAW, while the other 3 outs produce something less than all the sounds you hear in the L/phones jack (while they do produce 2 different sounds, the sounds combined don't have all the sounds you hear in the L/phones.)

From these tests, I'm thinking SY is not capable of putting its internal stereo sound out into a DAW (unless I'm doing something wrong). I have ordered a Y-slitter to split the L/phones into left and right, which I'll plug into the 2 ins on my Focusrite and record 2 channels of audio in Ableton. However, it would be better if this wasn't necessary.

Kevin M

My guess is that you may be doing something incorrect.  That's not meant as an insult, but as advice to keep trying. I record with my SY300 - both through usb, and also by plugging its audio output jacks in to the input of other audio interfaces with zero issues with the stereo signal.  When you use the 300 as the audio interface for recording, what are you using to monitor the sound and how are those connections made?

anlwpi

Yeah, I get it. Hope I am doing something wrong and the SY is capable.

I just use it the same way as my Focusrite. Select it as the in in ableton, and then hit record on the channels. Since its being the sound card when I do this, I monitor the sound through its L/phones, both when live recording and then for playback. Connections are the USB from the SY to to my computer, and 1/4 inch from my guitar to my SY.

If you want to reproduce what I'm seeing, the key would be a patch that has bouncy stereo sound (like a ping-pong delay type). I was using "Sputnik Dancer" from the library. Then monitor it through the L/phones. Then try to record it in your computer. What I hear in the computer is not that great sound (even though I can get R and L channels from the SY, they don't include all that L/phones stuff).