SY-300 - Suggestions for AMp combo for bass and SY-300

Started by bmmcwhirt, June 06, 2017, 08:55:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmmcwhirt

I'm going got get a SY-300 soon as I am fascinated with how it sounds. I recently bought a Bass and learning that but have not bought a Amp/Cab/Combo yet. (I'm just using an iRig and headphones right now to practice).

I'm wondering what would be a good combo amp or amp/cab setup for use with both Bass and the Bass through the SY-300 and using a Novation Circuit for my drum patterns. Ideally I would like to stay around the $600USD range for the amp setup with enough power for playing live in small hometown bar and coffee houses.

Most Bass combos don't list their frequency response and I know the SY-300 is going to have a wider range with more highs than a bass is going to have.

Thanks in advance for any advice suggestions.

Rhcole

Does it matter to you to have good high end for cymbals etc. from the drum machine? How loud will you be? Are you going to use MP3s or similar as well?

bmmcwhirt

Quote from: Rhcole on June 06, 2017, 11:33:41 AM
Does it matter to you to have good high end for cymbals etc. from the drum machine? How loud will you be? Are you going to use MP3s or similar as well?

Symbols are less important and there will be no mp3 but I don't want the SY-300 range to be muddy.

I'll be building loops with the bass and sy-300 as well as just the bass through a Zoom B3n.
This is the part that will be hard for some people to grasp, but hopefully far less here given the topic, but they style will be trance/psytrance.

Again no big venues so 250-500W should be adequate I would imagine.

admin

Consider a gently used Yamaha DXR-12 if you need loud

could try a Cube 120 bass amp
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=18359.msg130678#msg130678

bmmcwhirt

Quote from: admsustainiac on June 06, 2017, 12:07:13 PM
Consider a gently used Yamaha DXR-12 if you need loud

If at home, could try a Cube 120 bass amp

The Cube is defiantly too small. I have the Yamaha DXR and JBL Eon series in my list of units to listen too. I want as much dynamic range as possible with a good deal of tight crisp bass without having to have a separate sub so that I can cary everything as a one-man-band without too much effort. Ideally I'd have a sub and a loud speaker like the DXR but that is out of the question both financially and physically for the moment. Here is a rundown of the equipment list as it stands right now if that helps with any other suggestions.

Yamaha TRBX-304 Bass Guitar
Zoom B3n FX Pedal
Focusrite 18i8 Interface
Macbook Pro running Ableton Live + Focusrite Mixing Console (depending on what I need at the time) [I already have this but may replace the interface and computer with a hardware mixer later.]
Novation Circuit

The next purchase will be the SY-300 and Powered speaker or combo amp depending on what ends up working.

Fortunately I only live an hour from Sweetwater so I'll be able to try out speaker options there or at a Guitar Center or Sam Ash as both those are close as well. I'm not opposed to used gear either but I'm picky about how well gear has been treated.

Majiken

If you are turning down the Bass Cube 120 from specs and not listening, I would suggest you give it a try live- I have the predecessor Bass Cube 100, and it gets as loud as I need it, I have 3 and use them as stage monitors for bands at open airs. Can handle complex signals very well, plenty of bass, flexible DI out, holds its own against my RCF Art 710 with 750w RMS. When monitoring, I run a balanced signal into a Monacor adapter capable of switching between hi and lo impedance and have zero hum issues; what I have learned is that the matching of the output and input of connected devices has a bigger influence on the sound quality than eq or even gain. YMMV....
Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

bmmcwhirt

Quote from: Majiken on June 08, 2017, 01:42:26 AM
If you are turning down the Bass Cube 120 from specs and not listening, I would suggest you give it a try live- I have the predecessor Bass Cube 100, and it gets as loud as I need it, I have 3 and use them as stage monitors for bands at open airs. Can handle complex signals very well, plenty of bass, flexible DI out, holds its own against my RCF Art 710 with 750w RMS. When monitoring, I run a balanced signal into a Monacor adapter capable of switching between hi and lo impedance and have zero hum issues; what I have learned is that the matching of the output and input of connected devices has a bigger influence on the sound quality than eq or even gain. YMMV....

The bigger problem is that there is no listed freq response. It really bothers me that manufactures do not publish frequency response curves for cabinets even worse when they don't list a freq range at all.

Elantric

https://www.roland.com/global/products/cube-120xl_bass/specifications/
The Cube 120XL goes loud and  clear IMHO
12" with coaxial tweeter
Speaker30 cm (12 inches) + Tweeter (Coaxial, 2-way)

bmmcwhirt

Quote from: Elantric on June 08, 2017, 10:13:50 AM

https://www.roland.com/global/products/cube-120xl_bass/specifications/
The Cube 120XL goes loud and  clear IMHO
12" with coaxial tweeter
Speaker30 cm (12 inches) + Tweeter (Coaxial, 2-way)

Yea you will notice that the info they provide tells you nothing.  Take a look at something like http://www.jblpro.com/ProductAttachments/EON612_SpecSheet_4%2028%2015.pdf and you see you get a frequency response curve that tells you exactly how the speaker preforms across the spectrum.