GT-10 - Controlling GR55 with GT10 via midi

Started by EDIDPRO, March 25, 2011, 01:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EDIDPRO

Hi everyone. I have a pretty simple question most likely. What's the easiest way to control patch changes on the GR55 from my GT10?
Thanks.

gumtown

with a 5 pin midi cable plugged from the GT-10 midi-out to the GR-55 midi-in.
Ensure the GT-10 "PC out" setting is 'enabled' (System midi stuff).
You may need to disable the "EXP pedal midi" from sending cc# data which will control the GR-55 volume, set it from cc#20 to "off" (system midi stuff in the GT-10).
You can also have the GR-55 and the GK S1/S2 switches change patch on the GT-10 also, by connecting another midi cable from the GR-55 midi-out to the GT-10 midi-in. And same again on the GR-55, you want to disable the EXP pedal from sending data which will interfere with the GT-10 settings.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

EDIDPRO

Thanks Gumtown. Can you give me an example of the cc messages I would need to implement? ie. mapping GT10 10-2 to GR55 LEAD 02-1...Sorry if this is a newbie question.
Great job on the editor by the way. I haven't downloaded the GR yet but I use your GT10 editor all the time.
Thanks,
Ed

gumtown

The GR-55 midi program table is rather complex to program and very time consuming.
The GR-55 and GT-10 will track the same patches by default, so patch U1:1 on the GT-10 will set patch U01:1 on the GR-55.
If you want patches on the GR-55 to match the patch changes on the GT-10, i would recommend using the Roland Librarian to re-arrange the GR-55 patches to match the GT-10 patch changes, and leave the midi program tables alone.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

EDIDPRO

Thanks! Exactly the info I was looking for.

guitarnstuff

You could also use Forte plus Ehco software on a netbook or laptop to have custom patches controllers and even additional VST synth sounds.  Use it with the VG99 and it allows my to save patches to song names and then songs to setlists. Very powerful but might be more then you are looking for. 

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

samandlyn

Hi , I am new to this and am interested in this thread as I have the GT10 and have ordered the GR55.
So how does one use the two units together live?
Guitar into GT10 or GR 55?

The outs of the GR 55 into PA?

Sorry for newbie question

BeebGoldtone

Since the GT-10 outputs can't drive the input on the GR-55, as you must use te 13 pin cable for that, you would have to drive the GT-10 guitar input from the guitar out jack coming from the back of the GR-55.
There are many other options using these two units together but this is the simplest way to run one unit into the other.
The best sound quality for me running these devises has always been to use a mixer, power amp and stereo speaker cab. I personally use a self contained 2x10 combo that I built years ago for a nice portable stage set-up. It has a 1/2 rack Boss micro mixer and a stewart power amp built in. I also have an extra 2x10 cabinet for added volume when necessary. If I need more volume I can run a direct line from the above rig to a PA system. Works great!!!

I posted a photo of the above described 2x10 stereo combo perched atop some Mesa Boogies.
PRS Custom Signature, Zion T-top, Zion w/internal GK p-up, Mesa MK IV, Mesa Simul-satellite,Custom made 2x10 stereo cabs.,Roland GR-1, GR-55, VG-99. Korg A3. Boss RC-50 Looper,Behringer V-Amp pro.

BeebGoldtone

Guess I need to further clarify myself here. My previous post was based on simplicity rather than running down the midi programing rabbit hole which is far from simple. I know that running these boxes together via midi is a wonderful exercise in the miracle of technological complexity but in spite of the awesome complexity of these devices I try to abstain from too much dependance on overcomplicated programing vs outcome expectations which can sometimes be a letdown in the end.

I find that in most live situations the majority of players usually use a handful of presets by and by doing so keeps things smoother, less stressful and less prone to problems.

PRS Custom Signature, Zion T-top, Zion w/internal GK p-up, Mesa MK IV, Mesa Simul-satellite,Custom made 2x10 stereo cabs.,Roland GR-1, GR-55, VG-99. Korg A3. Boss RC-50 Looper,Behringer V-Amp pro.

Gastric

Just sharing a setup I've tried:

* GK pickup into GR-55
* GR-55 Guitar Out into GT-10B input
* GR-55 Left Main Out into GT-10B FX Return

I then have Guitar Out configured for Patch, then let the patch set COSM or Normal Pickup out.  I then use the GR-55 purely for PCM/synth sounds, the GT-10B for normal guitar sounds and effects, and can insert the synth tones wherever I want into the GT-10B signal chain, the GT-10B outputs to my mixer/PA/whatever.

I haven't used MIDI to control GR-55 parameters yet, but I'm assuming you can easy enough. The GT-10B foot switches and expression would be set to a hardcoded MIDI CC, then you'd simply use the GR-55 assigns to match that MIDI CC as needed, or not configure assigns if they're not. It's fairly straight forward.

To my knowledge the GT-10/GT-10B does not support MIDI THRU so you should be able to use the GR-55 to change patches and also set CTL to be tap tempo and configure the GR-55 to output MIDI Clock based on it's tap tempo, then feed that MIDI to the GT-10B. Then the GT-10B MIDI to the GR-55 for assigns. That way one box controls the patch changes and tempo for both boxes, and you use the multitude of GT-10 footswitches, expression (including external CTL/EXP) to control both the GT-10 and GR-55.

That's assuming the MIDI In/Out works as I believe it does and doesn't create some circular MIDI loop by connecting the in-out of both to each other which is entirely possible if the GT-10 also has MIDI THRU.

But really this setup solves the lack of CTRL/EXP in the GR-55, and bare bones normal pickup effect chain in the GR-55.

samandlyn

Quote from: BeebGoldtone on April 21, 2011, 01:24:45 AM
Guess I need to further clarify myself here. My previous post was based on simplicity rather than running down the midi programing rabbit hole which is far from simple. I know that running these boxes together via midi is a wonderful exercise in the miracle of technological complexity but in spite of the awesome complexity of these devices I try to abstain from too much dependance on overcomplicated programing vs outcome expectations which can sometimes be a letdown in the end.

I find that in most live situations the majority of players usually use a handful of presets by and by doing so keeps things smoother, less stressful and less prone to problems.

Hi , that's cool building your own rig like that.
So does that mean you have the COSM amp simulated preamp from the GR55 AND a second COSM simulated preamp provided by your GT10 before the sound goes out to your power amp and cab?  Or do you use only one COSM preamp sim at a time?

samandlyn

Quote from: Gastric on April 21, 2011, 01:25:47 PM
Just sharing a setup I've tried:

* GK pickup into GR-55
* GR-55 Guitar Out into GT-10B input
* GR-55 Left Main Out into GT-10B FX Return

I then have Guitar Out configured for Patch, then let the patch set COSM or Normal Pickup out.  I then use the GR-55 purely for PCM/synth sounds, the GT-10B for normal guitar sounds and effects, and can insert the synth tones wherever I want into the GT-10B signal chain, the GT-10B outputs to my mixer/PA/whatever.

But really this setup solves the lack of CTRL/EXP in the GR-55, and bare bones normal pickup effect chain in the GR-55.

Thanks Gastric,
that's brilliant and really helpful.
My brain is still buzzing trying to process all the info in your post!!
Using  midi to control stuff sounds too hard to me, so  I just use the old fashioned simple approach.
Your post suggests you can have a COSM preamp sim sound from the GR55 going into a second COSM preamp sim sound on your GT10.
Does that create the kind of interesting effects you can get from the VR99 or does it become a mish mash of bad sound?

Gastric

Quote from: samandlyn on April 21, 2011, 05:38:58 PM
Thanks Gastric,
that's brilliant and really helpful.
My brain is still buzzing trying to process all the info in your post!!
Using  midi to control stuff sounds too hard to me, so  I just use the old fashioned simple approach.
Your post suggests you can have a COSM preamp sim sound from the GR55 going into a second COSM preamp sim sound on your GT10.
Does that create the kind of interesting effects you can get from the VR99 or does it become a mish mash of bad sound?
MIDI out the GT10 into the GR55 isn't really any different than using assigns based on CTRL, S1, S2, etc.  The GT10 has a single global MIDI CC output with each CTRL and EXP. It doesn't change so it's easy and logical to understand which GT10 button, and thus which MIDI CC, to use as the source in your assigns on the GR55. The rest is pretty much the same.

And no, you cannot use any amp or FX in the GR55 out the Guitar Out. Only COSM instruments or Normal Pickup.