GT 10 AND LOOPER PEDAL QUESTION

Started by G-bo, June 21, 2016, 08:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G-bo

Hi folks,Like many of you I'm always learning something new about the gt10 and always have questions so good to know there are people keeping the knowledge sharing alive on this site.I'm trying to use a looper with my gt10 (guitar to gt input---gt output to looper input----looper output to amps effects return)The problem is after I create a loop with say a clean sound,I cannot switch to a distortion sound without it changing the sound of the loop I just made.Been rattling my pea brain but can't seem to find a way around it.Other than making a loop and saving it to a memory slot and switching sounds and then calling up that loop but I wanted to do it live all at once.Loop-- change sound--overdub--change sound--overdub again or solo ect. The looper is a nux loopcore (it's a cheap copy of the rc-3 and has the same functions)Other than springing for a more advanced looper does anyone know of workaround for this?Pretty sure on the looper demos they are changing sounds,can't seem to find much info on this tho just a lot of videos of people looping and no explanations.

Mrchevy

I saw this thread a few days ago but have been to busy to respond till now. The looper you are using seems to be a basic and strait forward looper. The signal chain you described should work as you say you need it to. Some info on the amp you are using might help. Basically, the looper should be the Last component in the signal chain before amplification. that way anything fed to the looper can be looped. The signal chain you describe sounds correct, but the problem you describe sounds like the looper output is being run into the GT10 and the recorded loop is being processed thru the GT10, hence the loop sound is changed when you change the patch or effects on that particular loop. I would suggest double checking the signal flow. Once that is verified correct, if you still have the issue, I would look at how you are working the features of the looper. Are you sure you are actually recording the loop (clean) the putting it in playback before changing to distortion. Check all above and maybe some more details of the equipment you are using, and we should be able to figure it out. It's probably a simple thing that is easily being overlooked.
     Also, a little description of the performance scenario may help to determine if the looper you are using is adequate or if you may need a more advanced looper. 
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

G-bo

Hey Mrchevy thanks for the reply.You're right about the looper being basic...it's a loopcore made by NUX and is a clone of a Boss rc-3.I'm just starting to get used to the looper and I have to say for a Chinese knockoff it does everything an rc-3 does seems to work very well.125 dollars delivered to my door so no complaints here.
Now down to business...I was able to get this sorted just today actually and was about to post back in case it helps someone else.I also thought the original signal chain should work but it does not.the answer is to run the looper into the send/return of the gt10.So that means guitar--input---gt10 left out---amp effects return.Then we have looper input ---gt10 send---and gt10 return ----to looper out.Now this is where you have to go into your gt10 and whichever patch you are using you must turn on the effects send/return in that patch.Once that is done you must now move that "send/return" to the very last position in your effects chain right before the amp.So once you've done this you can play and record a loop and on the next pass you can have something assigned to one of your control pedals such as distortion and you can play over the existing loop or you can record another overdub to your loop with the distorted sound without altering the original loop.So what about all the other patches that you would like to access for different tones?Well luckily all we have to do is turn on the send/return for that patch and make sure you place it right before the amp just as we originally did and you're good to go.FYI this also works if you have a prerecorded loop(you will be able to play over it with whichever sound you chose and not alter the loop.I would imagine that this is likely common knowledge to the more experienced out there but I had no idea till I f'd around for awhile so hopefully this may help someone else,Cheers.

Mrchevy

Here is a diagram of the signal flow I was talking about. Less complicated and no futzing with GT 10 effects loop. Anything from the GT 10 can be looped without worrying about the settings in the GT 10. This shows a MONO flow in BLACK or stereo flow in RED.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

Mrchevy

With my setup, I have a GT100, GR55, keyboard, and mic, going into a mixing board. The outputs of the mixing board go to the inputs of my looper (Boomerang III), then looper outputs to 2 powered monitors L and R for amplification, or into my computer audio interface for recording. With this setup, I can loop anything I want that goes into the mixing board (GT100, GR55, keyboard, or mic).
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

G-bo

Hey Mrchevy,
Well now this is strange,that is the exact way I first hooked it up and could not get it to work.
I will go back and try this again as it is a nicer setup with less cables and see if I can find out where I went wrong.
Can't try this out till later today so will post back then.Cheers.

G-bo

Hey Mrchevy,Was able to set this up for quick check before I go out and you're absolutely right.Works like a charm.
I have no idea what I did wrong the first time,but obviously something was amiss.Thanks man this setup is much better and easier.This is my first looper so I'm just learning to use it.Next time I'll spend more time with it before jumping to conclusions and posting :).Thanks again Bro appreciate ya helping me out,Cheers.

Mrchevy

I spent an hour once trying to figure out why I wasn't getting sound out of my amp. it was because I picked up the wrong cord end off the floor to plug into my guitar. the other end was not connected to anything (slap forehead here) ::).  have fun
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones