Re: GP-10 - Installing on Win 10 installed unwanted Wajam Internet Enhancer.

Started by OBB, October 03, 2015, 10:48:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OBB

I'm not sure if this has happened to anyone else but just thought I would check...

This has happened to me twice now... When I upgraded to win10 2 months ago, as we all now you had to purge the #7 driver and install the new #10 driver once it became available. Well right after the fix came out I did it and I immediately noticed I was getting targeted socially targeted ads from something called Wajam. A quick Google Q&A session, found out what it was and removed the PUP. A few weeks later I decided I really didn't like win10 so pretty much and decided to revert to win7 with a complete clean install (not from image or clone but the hard way with 7U discs and 40 Dell drivers off the original factory discs) and a pair of brand new never opened SSD's to boot...

So I pretty much finished the rebuild last night but stopped just short of installing the Roland stuffs as I didn't feel like firing up the entire rig at 1am last night and finished it up earlier this morning and went and did some small errands. Then got back home about an hour ago I fired everything up to just kinda shake the leaves a little. While I was just randomly plucking at some incoherent chords to warm up while pa-rousing some of my favorite forums (this one included) I noticed I was getting the same damn Wajam ads in the header divisions at the top and in the sidebar divisions of every simple page I went to AGAIN! I instantly stowed the guitar and did a WTF! And went straight to programs in control panel and sure as sh** there it is again.. Wajam.

I should have taken a screen shot of this... I looked at the date and times of installations and and when I sorted the list by date & time Wajam was smack dab in the middle between installing the GP10's #7 Driver & BTS this morning. And when I removed it from Win 10 it was also listed just below the GP10 10's win-10 installation. So, I know it did not install with the MOTU package last night and when I had this same issue on the win10 upgrade as I didn't have to change anything on the MOTU end. And this is nothing anyone in their right mind would purposely install on their machine so it had to come from somewhere... and the only things that were downloaded last night & then installed first this morning was the Roland stuff, and again, were gotten directly from Roland.

So did Roland stick this junk in there or is someone hijacking their download...

I'm guessing the latter (but ya never know) and just thought I would pass it along...

slooky

In windows 10,  you just have to plug the gp-10  into the computer and it downloads drivers automatically. I never had anything of Wajam so I'm thinking you got it from before and it's in your registry on your computer.

Elantric

When BTS (Boss Tone Studio)  installs, it checks if you have Adobe AIR installed 
Its conceivable that the source of the  Adobe Air installed on your computer might have been the source of Wajam Internet Enhancer.

And FWIW - I have GP-10, GT-100, SY-300 USB drivers and Boss Tone Studio - and Adobe A.I.R. on my Windows 8.1 machines - and never experienced Wajam

http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-wajam.html
QuoteThe main facts that are known about Wajam:
Wajam claims to be a social search engine, which is capable of showing people results that are selected according to their friends' activity on social networks. These social networks are FaceBook, Twitter, and Google+. However, no matter that we would make a mistake by saying that this program is a virus and that it has never been found to spread malware and other cyber threats, you should try to be very careful with it when having it installed on the system. We say so because of a simple reason - an activity that it initiates.

While one part of PC users claims that it is useful and trustworthy, some people declare that they are bothered by its ads and have never installed this program voluntarily. Unfortunately, but there is no doubt that these claims are true. In most of the cases, this program can get onto its target computer when downloading lots of different freewares and sharewares. If you don't monitor installation of these programs, Wajam Web Enhancer can easily infiltrate your computer without your consent because it is usually hidden in 'optional' components that should be declined when trying to avoid them. Also, as soon as Wajam enters PC, it may start needed system modifications and then may start causing annoying ads and other unwanted activities. If you don't want to be tricked into visiting an unknown or even a suspicious website, you have to remove Wajam from your computer. Of course, we would also like to recommend you eliminating related free software as well because this program may show up on your computer right after rebooting it. Fortunately, it is not hard to remove this adware-type program. For that you should just scan your computer with the reputable anti-spyware,
Distribution methods that are used by the developers of this program:
As we have already mentioned, you should be very careful when installing freeware and shareware on your computer because it may result in the appearance of various viruses, not only such and similar browser add-ons, extensions, plugins, and toolbars. So, the main thing that you have to remember is that Wajam.exe, wajam_64.exe and other files related to this app are actively distributed in a bundle with freeware and shareware. Its creators bundle their programs with various free software for monetization and similar purposes. Fortunately, you can avoid infiltration of these unwanted components by checking every step of freeware's installation, so make sure that you do that whenever installing freeware on your computer. For that, you should select only Custom or Advanced installation of the freeware and then uncheck pre-checked check marks that allow installation of Wajam Internet Enhancer. Otherwise, you should keep in mind that such programs can not only bombard you with annoying pop-up notifications but alter your homepage, Internet browser's settings, the default search engine and other settings. If you have been seen Wajam ads on your computer, and you haven't installed it by yourself, we recommend eliminating this program from your computer.

Most Antivirus checkers will not detect or remove Wajam.
On my Windows PCs connected to internet - twice a week I run these two apps below to stay "clean".

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com

Malwarebytes
https://www.malwarebytes.org