GK-3 & Acoustic Guitar?

Started by chamav, April 15, 2008, 01:12:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zummooz

Bugger the acoustic with the GK-3 .....   ;)

germanicus
What is that bloody beauty to the right  :o   :o
The  Fact  Is......"We  are  all  tactile  creatures  &  physical  interaction  has  always  been  a  big  part  of  making  music"

Elantric

I recall Germanicus obtained one of the Rogue Electric  Sitars

http://www.music123.com/guitars/rogue-str-1-pro-electric-sitar-guitar

Which is a copy of the 1966 Dan Electro / Coral "Vinnie Bell" Electric Sitar
http://www.vinniebell.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_sitar

- Hear one on many pop tunes (Games People Play, RedBone "Come and get your love", Stevie Wonder "Signed Sealed Delivered" , Steely Dan "Do it Again"

germanicus

Elantric you have a good memory!

Apparently its out of production now?

Italia Modena makes a similar model.

We have good electric sitar models available in the variax and Roland VG99/Gr55, but its still fun to play the rogue.
My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

tekrytor

Subway Guitars in Berkeley, California will make you a custom Fat Dog electric sitar for a very reasonable price. Fat Dog is the proprietor and a real pleasure to talk guitar with. He's made guitars for many well known artists and his shop is a minefield of retro heaven relics and boneyard of the Signature,Tiesco, Kay and Airline classics.
Subway will build your eSitar on almost any body style you like and they love to do experimental Frankensteins a'la Burger King (your way).
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

paults

He has always had fun stuff - Next time you see him, suggest he update some of the title his webpage - it looks like it was last done in 2009, but the "New Estate Sale" pictures have 07-2012 in the jpg names.  If nothing else, removing the old year title names.  Hopefully, he already removes sold items, but he's losing many potential sales. 

Or, one sentence on the main page saying "If you see it,  I still have it." would help...

gandolf

I know this is an old thread....but pics at bottom are relevant..

Just tried the gk guitar pickup I had on my acoustic....just with 2 big dollop of blu tack...worked fine... Very different sound pallet to bass mode....great stuff!

But interstingly I could hear the the sound of the acoustic coming through...but i have no other pickup on the guitar....I wasn't expecting that. ....but through the headphones I swear i could even hear the guitar body if I tapped it.....very strange...?? I might have to test that again one day.....

Jim Williams

Did it to my Charvel acoustic.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

locorogue

Quote from:  songwriter24 on August 28, 2012, 03:31:34 AMHas anyone tried, or, even better, is anyone actually USING a GR-55 with an acoustic guitar?

The GR55 is working perfectly on my acoustic, i put the GK3 on my Ovation 2078TX, which is a very nice guitar by itself, even better plugged in. If my guitar was stolen, broken, etc, i'd rather have it be my Ovation than my $3k Tak.  Anyway, so far i found that the tracking seems better on my acoustic than my electric. And the tapping, hammer on & pull offs are more natural to me on the acoustic than the electric(go figure). It tracks wonderfully, i can "shred" as fast as i ever could on my electric, yet play as delicate as only can be done on an acoustic, and not use the synth if i choose not to, dual purpose perfected.

I've made custom bracket(GK3 holder) to use specifically with the Ovation, i'll have to upload some pics. It's an 1/8" aluminum plate, patterned exactly after the original GK3's steel mounting bracket, but lengthened to slide under the Ovations strap button(or probably any acoustic. Pretty cake job when you see it, but it did take a pretty good amount of time...

***Oh yeah, i see some are talking about that beautiful Sitar guitar...check this out(if you haven't already). Just saw Pat Metheny maybe two weeks ago...absolutely astonishing...check this link out, and not just because Pat Metheny could be considered one of the pioneers of synth with guitars...

Otto

Please let me know What's the problem i'll get if using GR-55 for Nylon Acoustic Electric Guitar?..
Cause i'm working every night at bars,cafe,restaurants with my nylon acoustic electric guitar..

I thank you so much for all info..

Otto.

gumtown

Quote from:  Otto on November 02, 2012, 03:06:40 AM
Please let me know What's the problem i'll get if using GR-55 for Nylon Acoustic Electric Guitar?..
Cause i'm working every night at bars,cafe,restaurants with my nylon acoustic electric guitar..

I thank you so much for all info..

Otto.
You will have a problem if you need to fit a GK-3 magnetic hexaphonic pickup and use nylon strings, if your nylon acoustic is fitted out with GK-Ready piezo pickups, you should be fine. The GR-55 has options for different 13 pin GK-Ready pickup types.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Otto

Mr.Gumtown.. I thank you so much for the info..

Musicboxlessons

Hello there,
I have had a GK-3 PU installed on my Godin Multiac (hollow duet model).  I was getting some rattling and vibration from the pickup being on the guitar (installed with tape only).  I am looking to do a more permanent install with screws through the top of the guitar , UGH...., but i am unclear on how i need to do this.  In the manual it appears as though the pickup has no cusion underneath it and just uses springs underneath when using screws.  Is that really the way it is done.  One side note is that the clearance i have is pretty limited beween the strings and the body.  So i guess my questions are :

1. Do i just install the pickup with the screws and springs only?

2. has anyone had long term success with another method of install (not to psyched about screw holes in my top)?  And if so did you get any vibration and did you use cussioning of some kind to install?

3. on page 9 of the manual it says that if strings are bronze it should be installed 15mm from the "bridge".  I assume the mean string conntact point or saddle rather that the bridge itself.  Is that corect?

Thanks for any tips and help in this process.

Tim

Musicboxlessons

One more thing, I only have 10MM of clearance between strings and top of guitar.

Elantric

QuoteI have had a GK-3 PU installed on my Godin Multiac (hollow duet model).  I was getting some rattling and vibration from the pickup being on the guitar (installed with tape only).

Its a shame you do not have the Multiac "SA" model with the RMC 13 pin Piezo preamp on that Godin

http://www.godinguitars.com/godinmultnylonsap.htm

100's of GK-3 PUs are mounted to guitars (electric and Acoustic)  using nothing more than a strip of this under the GK-3 PU

Most hardware stores sell this.

thebrushwithin

I would recommend having a RMC Polydrive system installed.
My acoustic has this, and it is invisible and dynamite. But it may
be  early as economical to buy a used Godin Multiac, if you find a killer
deal.

drjoness2001

I had an Ovation Viper with internal GK-2, it worked pretty well.

Wayne

Musicboxlessons

Thanks guys,
Ill give that tape a try and go from there.  As far as the Godin SA Multiac goes....I like the non SA Models of the multiac better personally.  I find that i like the pure acoustic sound out of the duet much better due to the hollow body, as well as i want a steel string and the SA is only available in a nylon model.  I tend to use mostly the guitars acoustic tone and add textures underneath like soft pads and the like.  I like the modeled electric sounds much better than the acoustic ones.  But i havent sat around and tweaked them either...... 

Ill post my results!

Thanks again.

Tim

Elantric

Another method is "Sticky Tack" " Removable Adhesive Putty sold at Staples
http://www.staples.com/Elmers-Removable-Adhesive-Putty/product_419997

Might be a better choice than double sided foam tape, as the tape has an adhesive that may harm some guitar finishes over time.

More tips here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8328.msg59475#msg59475

KezzTCP

I bought my GR 55 complete with GK3, but also purchased a piezo loaded Godin LGXT at the same time - so, I've been chewing over which of my other guitars to fit the spare GK3 to.  Reading these posts, you've convinced my to load up my Ovation Celebrity CC44-FKOA (Koa).  Since buying the GR-55, I've hardly picked it up, yet was just loving playing it through my Zoom G9.2tt prior - gotto admit tho, I'm not looking forward to doing the install!
Godin LGXT with Roland Gr-55
Zoom G9.2tt
Fender Strat 1983
Hamer Artist Korina
Hamer SAQT GK3 loaded
Ovation Electro Acoustic
Tanglewood Earth 2000 Acoustic
G&L S-500
Antoria Memphis 74
Gibson Les Paul Special (hah!)

Life is full of surprises ........ as I don't know what I'm doing most of the time

KezzTCP

Bottled it on the acoustic for now - decided to attach to my rarely used Les Paul 'Special' - just so I could try it out by attaching to the supplied bridge plate so as to avoid the need for drilling or sticking.  Have to say it was quite easy to install and set up using the wealth of insight on here.  So far so good - and it could turn this very unloved guitar into a bit of a work horse for a while.

Godin LGXT with Roland Gr-55
Zoom G9.2tt
Fender Strat 1983
Hamer Artist Korina
Hamer SAQT GK3 loaded
Ovation Electro Acoustic
Tanglewood Earth 2000 Acoustic
G&L S-500
Antoria Memphis 74
Gibson Les Paul Special (hah!)

Life is full of surprises ........ as I don't know what I'm doing most of the time

Elantric

The Fishman Mounting brackets for les paul work well with Most Les Paul Specials and Les Paul Studios that have a Tune-o-matic bridge.

Anything that has a Tune-o-matic bridge, and sufficient room between bridge PU and the T.O.M. Bridge for the FTP Hex PU.

Problem guitars are many PRS guitars and the Les Paul versions that closely duplicate the '59 LP  (like current Les Paul Standards) - On these guitars the Bridge PU location is too close the bridge, and becomes a problem for the FTP Mounting kit  - Solution is remove and relocate the Bridge PU to make room for the FTP Hex PU.

Back to Acoustic guitars  - the hurdle for mounting the FTP PU will be the distance between the strings and the top of the guitar.

Many Acoustic guitars will have clearance problems

papabuss

New German BOSS Video and some nice sounds at the end...
FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

Brendan250959

Brilliant,
Any chance of getting these lovely sounds.
brendan@hochzeitsmusik.ch

papabuss

Brendan, do you mean the configuration shown in this video (Normal pickup=Acoustic/Steel guitar)?
Otherwise use it with your E-guitar, disable the Normal-pickup and choose a realistic/clean steel guitar in the Model section and add the PCM's.
P.S. The percussion sounds shown in the video that can be added with your acoustic guitar are of course amazing. ;)
FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

mojo thorne

Ok... so I my new-ish GK-3 is arriving today, and I plan to put it on my Takamine acoustic.  I've already checked the clearance and I have plenty of room under the strings.  In fact, I may need to use some of the shims to raise it up a bit.

I'm curious as to tried and trusted means of attaching the controller to the body of an acoustic without using the mounting plate.  I'm not interested in putting a second strap pin in it just to attach the GK-3, and I want to ensure that whatever I use can eventually be removed without harming the finish on the surface of the guitar.  I'm leary of using velcro, only because the adhesive on the back of velcro is usually at least semi-permanent.

I've read a lot about people using the mounting tap or blue tack / elmers tack to mount the pickup on guitars, but has anyone used these to mount the controller as well?  If so, do you periodically remove and replace the tape/tack to ensure it stays put when in use? 

I'm equally concerned with protecting the finish and ensuring that I never have one or both parts come loose during a gig.