Converting Godin RMC hex to mag hex?

Started by CrumbledFingers, November 22, 2017, 05:04:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrumbledFingers

How involved would it be to install a  GK3 kit in my Godin LGX-SA, so that instead of the RMC piezo driving the 13 pin output, the magnetic hex pickup does? Would it be easier since most of the components are already in place, or harder because of some difference between how the RMC and mag systems are wired? I ask because this would make the guitar basically perfect for me, as I have an older model with particularly bad low frequency rumble from the RMC.

mmmmgtr

I did it.  It was fairly easy.  You need some basic electronics skills (soldering mainly), a bit of skill with a dremel, and some patience.  Not for the first timer,  but doesn't require a luthier or an EE.  I converted to the Fishman Powerchip with Graphtech saddles for the acoustic sound as well. Used a GK-KIT. Very minor mod to the guitar - 2 small screw holes for mounting the GK pickup and a small route near/ under the bridge to sneak the cable into the control cavity. Utilized all other existing holes in the guitar.

Too be clear,  the GK system is NOT compatible with the RMC electronics. You would need to install the GK electronics like I did.

You could keep the RMC piezo, but then it is getting crowded in the control cavity.  Not sure if it would fit w/o increasing the cavity.... a bigger project.

I installed the power indicator LED in the cavity where the RMC graphic EQ used to be. I put a translucent sheet of plastic film in there so the 3 slots now glow when the GK is plugged in. Kinda cool...

I'm much happier with this setup.