Lost a plate hold-down screw on my GK-3

Started by ucnick, January 10, 2017, 01:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ucnick

Howdy, having a problem with a lost screw from a GK-3 on one of my guitars.

There is a small cover plate which also serves as a strain relief for the cable entering the side of the GK-3 hex pickup. There is a small screw that holds the plate down. I seem to have lost it somewhere, have no idea how.

I measured one I removed from another unit on another guitar with vernier calipers, the screw diameter of the outside of the threads is 1.90 mm (pretty close to 2mm) and the length of the screw portion is 3 mm. There are 6 or 7 threads on that length, which gives a thread pitch close to the 0.4 mm pitch for a coarse thread 2 mm diameter screw. I was unable to measure the diameter of the inner side of the thread, the pitch is too small to fit my calipers in there. It is also a Phillips head. Does anyone know what type of screw actually for certain is?

Hopefully the location of the missing screw is visible in the attachments.

Thanks for the help!

admin

the GK-3 Service Manual is here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=73.0;attach=6628

Call Roland

Roland Corporation U.S.
5100 S. Eastern Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90040-2938
Customer Service Tel: (323) 890-3700

ucnick

Thanks!

Yeah it's part of the pickup assembly, it's not called out in the manual. Bummer.

I emailed them an am awaiting an answer. Phone call next.

Thanks again!

FreeTime

The screw is a M2x3. Speaking from experience do not use a screw that is too long. A dab of clear nailpolish will hold it in place, just go easy. Nailpolish uses butyl or ethyl acetate for the volatiles, you don't want to dissolve the enamel on the wires inside.

ucnick

Thanks. I thought it might be that size but needed verification.  I can order the exact length replacement screws from McMaster-Carr. And a bit of Loctite Purple will keep it from falling out.

Many thanks!! ;D