PRIMOVA MIDX-20 Dual Roland USB MIDI Converter / Ctrl Interface

Started by CodeSmart, March 05, 2016, 05:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

( . )( . )

Great. That is just awesome. I was on the wait list for a MIDX-10 already, but I sent you an email earlier asking if you could change me to your fabulous new toy...

CodeSmart

Quote from: Chameleon on June 29, 2016, 11:06:26 AM
Great. That is just awesome. I was on the wait list for a MIDX-10 already, but I sent you an email earlier asking if you could change me to your fabulous new toy...
Regardless of MIDX-10 or MIDX-20 I'll contact people in first contact time-order when they are ready.

When these 48 units are gone we'll see what's happening. Don't know if to make more 10's, 20's or something else... Time will tell.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

( . )( . )

Quote from: CodeSmart on June 29, 2016, 03:02:55 PM
Regardless of MIDX-10 or MIDX-20 I'll contact people in first contact time-order when they are ready.

When these 48 units are gone we'll see what's happening. Don't know if to make more 10's, 20's or something else... Time will tell.

...something else eh...intrigued...

CodeSmart

Spent !"##¤%%& hours mounting 200 screws+nuts and cutting 250 pcs LED's to exactly 2.5cm length.
Anyhow they look great...

Elantric

sixeight

Quote from: CodeSmart on June 30, 2016, 12:27:05 PM
Spent !"##¤%%& hours mounting 200 screws+nuts and cutting 250 pcs LED's to exactly 2.5mm length.
Anyhow they look great...

Great work, Robert. I hope your wife doesn't mind you taking over the kitchen...

CodeSmart

Quote from: Elantric on June 30, 2016, 12:38:20 PM
PRIMOVASOUND - preparing to conquer the world!
I need cheap Labour and all the youth I know wants to Facebook and Instagram their way through life...Sigh!

( . )( . )

whippinpost91850

CodeSmart

I've just, with my limited skills in writing/English language etc. tried to produce the first version of the MIDX-20 manual. Please let me know if/how it would need to be improved for someone to understand what I barely understand myself. 8)

http://www.primovasound.com/pdf/MIDX_20_Manual.pdf

gumtown

page 3
Devices: GT-10,GT-100,GT-001,VG-99,GR-55,GP-10 and SY-400

SY-300 unless you know something we don't

page4
circuitry requires a few 10'Th of milliamps.

I would write:
circuit requires only a few microamps.

page4
the unit can deliver up to totally 1.5 Amps, assuming the
power supply (pedal board adapter or Micro USB adapter can provide the sufficient
current.

I would write
the unit can deliver up to a total of 1.5 Amps assuming the
power supply (pedal board adapter or Micro USB adapter can provide the sufficient
current.

page5
(other compatible)

I would write
(or compatible)

Moog EP2 I have one and it is not compatible with the GP-10 or SY-300 - I had to modify mine.

page 11/12
UPR IS 'DEV OUT'

page 13/14
UPR IS 'CTRL IN'

I would change "IS" to lower case "is"

But all the rest is good !!

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

JoBoss

Quote from: CodeSmart on June 30, 2016, 12:49:10 PM
I need cheap Labour and all the youth I know wants to Facebook and Instagram their way through life...Sigh!

Robert....as more and more guitarists out there would like to own the indomitable Primova MIDX-10/20, would outsourcing the whole rigmarole be a viable option, of course with safeguards and stringent quality control in place to protect your interests...?.... ???...that could ensure adequate supply without taxing you and your time (family, work, R&D, etc)...and may even work out to be cheaper per unit.... ???...worth a thought..?.......... :)

CodeSmart

Colin, mucho thanks for your input.
SY-400, ha-ha, yes I was pretty tired.

chrish

Quote from: CodeSmart on June 30, 2016, 12:49:10 PM
all and all their just bricks in zuckerberg's wall. :-)

CodeSmart

If anyone is wondering what happened to the MIDX-20, thing is this:
- Tested the hardware, 5 boards out of 48 were not properly soldered by my Chinese friends and need some work.
- I'm working on integrating a Mustang Midi-Bridge. Not there yet for a pass/fail/success/give up yet. Much work left.
- I'm a waiting for my Zoom G3. Wanted to make it compatible with Zoom products. Some has said it is not compatible with the MIDX so I've ordered a Zoom G3 to straight that bump.
- Fishman Tripleplay works great. Done-done. Play-back trough GR-33, iPad or any external synth.
- Hardware is done-done.
- Boot loader is done-done. Unit can be upgraded using a Roland UM-ONE or compatible 'converter cable'.
- PC software is pretty much ok. I have made the it possible not only to upgrade the firmware but also to manually program a number of custom bytes, size not decided yet, but probably max 24 bytes/per foot switch state (pressed/released) to fire off any arbitrary MIDI bytes (allowing SysEx) using one or two FS-6/FS-7 pair footswitches connected to the unit.

So, I'm working on it. Most people just want to have it right away but I think it's good if the firmware is cutting-edge before release. This will be a great thing.

Please be patient.
/Robert

By the way...I only have 1K RAM (Data memory) and 10kb of ROM (Program memory) left to implement the Fender Mustang bridge so it's a bit of a challenge...

whippinpost91850

Thanks for the update. Sounds like you are making Progress :)

OldGuitarDude

Please take your time Robert! Your devices are fantastic and always worth the wait.

Phil

sixeight

Quote- I'm a waiting for my Zoom G3. Wanted to make it compatible with Zoom products. Some has said it is not compatible with the MIDX so I've ordered a Zoom G3 to straight that bump.

Have I managed to get you in trouble again  ;)

caribefatboy

Hey there Robert,

I emailed you and I am excited to be on the waiting list!

Very cool, all your entrepreneurial energy and code skills!

Looking forward to getting my MIDX-20 later this summer, hopefully.

Andre

CodeSmart

Update:
The MIDX-20 now compatible with Fender Mustang series amplifiers, allowing the amp to be controlled by any USB (compliant), Roland/Boss none-compliant device or 5-pin MIDI foot controller using the same PC/CC# number layout as the Fender Mustang Floor unit.

Thanks to detective and programming work by Steven Hirsch (snhirsch here at the forum) the embedded MIDX Mustang MIDI-Bridge for 16-bit PIC microcontrollers could be implemented in a reasonable amount of time.

Tomorrow I will receive a Logidy UMI3 unit. I bought it just to verify that any compliant foot controller may be used. I also plan to use it in my production test rig.

Still waiting for the Zoom G3 for making the MIDX-20 compatible with Zoom products...

Elantric

. . .  and thats why they call you "CodeSmart!

Congratulations Robert! - cant wait for my MIDX-20!

whippinpost91850

chrish

Would pitch to midi  translation for the vg99, using the usb port, be of better quality (glitches, speed) along with one of your midx products, than just using the midi 5 pin out on the vg99? I want to control hardware synths.

CodeSmart

Quote from: chrish on July 14, 2016, 10:26:07 AM
Would pitch to midi  translation for the vg99, using the usb port, be of better quality (glitches, speed) along with one of your midx products, than just using the midi 5 pin out on the vg99? I want to control hardware synths.
Glitches  I'd guess is introduced by the VG-99 Guitar-to-MIDI translator and can't be improved after translation.
Regarding speed the MIDX units operates at 16MHz, scanning the USB ports at highest USB speed (by USB spec.).
As soon as USB command is received it will be forwarded to the serial MIDI thing (called "UART") in between 0.025(normal) to 0.1 ms (worst case when merging data flows). From then regular MIDI 5-pin serial speed will apply before command reaches the target.

However, probably the delay is introduced also by the VG-99 by itself.
Elantric may know more in this area...

gumtown

no matter when in the chain the USB to 5 pin adapter is, the midi speed come out at 31250 bits per second.
Out of the VG-99 midi port is 31250 bps
Out of the VG-99 USB port is up to 1,500,000 bps, the VG-99 internal CPU will only transfer a lot slower, then at some point the data has to exit at 'midi speed' of 31250 bps.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/