Joe Meek’s Bold Techniques — New Video and V3 E-Book Unveiled

Started by Elantric, September 28, 2015, 10:26:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Joe Meek's Bold Techniques — New Video and V3 E-Book Unveiled
http://www.barrycleveland.com/jm-about/

Sep 24, 2015
When I began researching my book on legendary British recording iconoclast Joe Meek—Joe Meek's Bold Techniques—I had no idea that his recording concepts and techniques had basically turned the '50s and '60s British studio world upside down. It turned out that many of the things Meek did were revolutionary—and typically considered wrong—at the time, but have now been so thoroughly integrated into everyday practice that they are taken for granted. This new promo video provides a quick overview:

Meek's best-known recording, "Telstar" (performed by the Tornadoes), topped the charts worldwide in 1962, and the many fine musicians he worked with included Ritchie Blackmore, Steve Howe, and Jimmy Page, who credits Meek as a major influence on his own production work.

Meek was also responsible for many "firsts," at least in the U.K. For example, he was:
•    One of the first to experiment professionally with sound-on-sound overdubbing techniques (1951)
•    The first to put microphones directly in front of and sometimes inside sound sources (1954)
•    The first to intentionally overload preamplifier inputs and print "hot" signals to tape (1954)
•    The first to use compressors and limiters aggressively in creative rather than corrective applications (1954)
•    The first to build a compact spring reverb unit (1957)
•    The first to "flange" sounds using two synchronized tape recorders (1958)
•    The first to employ tape loops on commercial recordings (1959)

"This book really opened my eyes to what an innovator Joe Meek was and even gave me ideas to toy with in future sessions of my own. Everyone reading Tape Op would enjoy it!" —Larry Crane, Editor
The Second Edition of Joe Meek's Bold Techniques is available in a limited hardcover print edition, and also as an e-book in all formats (Version 3 of which was recently published). Included with the book is a newly restored and remastered version of Meek's extraordinary 1959 stereo album about life on the Moon, I Hear a New World, made available in its original form for the first time (via digital streaming).

Joe Meek's Bold Techniques may be purchased directly on my website, or from Apple iTunes, Amazon, and other major retailers. Cheers!