SY-300 used in BandCamp Release

Started by chrish, May 31, 2016, 04:38:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrish

Here is a link to my Bandcamp ambient music release. I recorded this music into a Boss RC-300 looper, (although no loops were created) via the Boss SY-300.

I used an Ibanez 8-string guitar with a GK-2 pickup feeding a Roland GR-50 used to trigger several midi synth modules including a Roland MKS-50, a Korg Wavestation A/D, E-Mu sampler, and a Moog Slim Phatty (see, I told you I was a consumer)  ;)

I may have also used a VG-8 vio guitar patch but I don't remember and don't keep good production notes.

All of those waves were patched into into the Boss SY-300, via mixer sends, where the guitar and various combinations of synth modules  were used to trigger the sy oscs. Some of the music is just straight SY-300.

The straight guitar sound was not recorded.

The audio was then edited and processed in Audacity by just taking the wav files from the RC-300 and dropping them into the DAW program.

The file was then sent to Sweden, where forum member Brak(E)man was so kind in doing the mastering. Once I received  the mastered audio waveform, I joined it back with the original audio waveform in Audicity and then rendered it to the finished wave that was published on BandCamp.

I found that the mastered waveform opened up the sound and  added clarity to the original waveform.

All the music was improvised and most of it is just one track.

https://chrishambient.bandcamp.com

gumtown

Thank for sharing.  :)

How is the Moog Phatty working out ? I have seen a few used ones up for sale recently..
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

ainsoph

chrish

Quote from: ainsoph on June 01, 2016, 02:36:44 AM
nice peaceful :)
Thanks.
Quote from: gumtown on May 31, 2016, 05:18:53 PM
Thank for sharing.  :)

How is the Moog Phatty working out ? I have seen a few used ones up for sale recently..
When I first hooked up the slim phatty and hit a note, the first thing I noticed, having been used to digital synths, is that the oscillators sounded like a reed instrument.

When Moog decided to discontinue the Slim Phatty, they discounted the price from $800 to $600.  They built what they had parts for and once the word got out, they went fast.

I purchased one and didn't give the Boss SY-300 a second thought because I thought it was more of the same from Roland as far as guitar synths go. Then I started reading this forum, and now I have two of the SY-300s instead of another Slim Phatty.

It turns out, feeding the Moog into the SY-300 is amazing. All the filter sweeps and real low droney sounds I did on this project where done mostly by the Moog or the MKS-50 adding the sub-oscillator. The Moog is a littler slower to respond then the MKS-50 (Roland had guitar synths in mind when they built the MKS-50).

The Moog's two VCO's are controlled by voltage after the midi in is translated into that  CV, so that slows it down a bit when using the GR-50 synth as the midi controller (guitar pitch to midi>midi to control voltage>control voltage to pitch) . So what I do is to assign the "Low Note Priority" feature on the Moog so I can hit the low bass and let the string sustain while it does it's filter sweep thing without midi mishaps.

One of the expression pedal assigns that I do is to change  one of the osc waves in the SY-300 so that it modulates between say a tri-wave and the synth input, so sometimes you hear the direct moog filter sweep and sometimes you hear the moog filter sweep affect the SY oscillators or sometimes both.

The Moog takes about a half hour to forty-five minutes for the VCO's to warm up in order to stay in tune.

It's real easy to modulate the sounds via the front panel by hand. It has a CV and gate out so it would be easy to add Euro Rack modular stuff and it has an analog input so you could pass any signal through everything after the oscs section, such as the filters and envelops (placing a 1/4 phono plug in the gate out will keep the gate open so no need to midi trigger the gate open when only using the analog input).

It's a fun toy. :)

aliensporebomb

How did you set up a six string GK pickup on an 8-string guitar?  Just use the bottom six?  Wouldn't the edges of the pickup interfere with the remaining strings?  Picture please!

I have a 7-string I'd like to try that on.

The result is great - very evocative and mysterious vibe but cool.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

chrish

Quote from: aliensporebomb on June 02, 2016, 06:16:41 AM
How did you set up a six string GK pickup on an 8-string guitar?  Just use the bottom six?  Wouldn't the edges of the pickup interfere with the remaining strings?  Picture please!

I have a 7-string I'd like to try that on.

The result is great - very evocative and mysterious vibe but cool.
Thanks for the good vibes. I tried to post a picture of the gk-2 set up on the 8-string ibanez, but the updated library computers no longer except SD camera cards where i had the picture stored. I'll try again with a cd.

The hex pickup is set up on the first 6 strings and the gk-2 hex pickup spans all 8 strings. The two other bass strings, 7 and 8, will trigger the sy-300 along with the other 6 'normal' strings that can also trigger what ever other midi synth module sound that i'm sending to the sy-300.

So when i hex trigger a midi synth module i can get that sound blending with sy oscillators and get a different synth sound from string 7 and 8 running into the sy because they are only affecting the sy unit. Btw, thanks for your idea for using the rc-300 as a digital recorder (read that in another thread).

That works out great because rc-300 serves as the master tempo clock for the sy-300 and it's simple to use. 

Edit paragraphs

chrish

here is the picture of the GK-2 setup on the Ibanez 8-string.