2018 Winter NAMM Jan 25-28

Started by Elantric, November 28, 2017, 11:58:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gearnews.de%2Fhacking-duckduckgo-die-suchmaschine-hilft-uns-musikern%2F

Hacking DuckDuckGo: The search engine helps us musicians
DuckDuckGo hacks for musicians teaser
Hacks for the search engine DuckDuckGo · Source: DuckDuckGo / Screenshot Gearnews

While a few years ago, the choice of search engine had triggered policy discussions, the market is now firmly in the hands of Google (now with source) 91% share. Bing, Yahoo, Yandex and Baidu share the rest and bob at a maximum of 2.7%, rather below 1%. But the little competitor DuckDuckGo is not only nice to your data and does not use it to his advantage or sell it, but can do more - especially for us musicians.

Tabs for guitar
How did G major go? Or F # minor? Nothing easier than that! Search for it and DuckDuckGo spits out "all" variations on how to play that sound on a conventional guitar. For me as note-muffle an ingenious tool.

Synthesizer data
You are stuck in a discussion and would like to quickly have an overview of the features of eg the Kurzweil K2000 Synthesizer? Then just search for it and right in the column you will find an excerpt from Wikipedia with the most important data. One click less.

Listen directly to Soundcloud
I'm not a friend of the Soundcloud interface, but impressed by the mass of artists who perpetuate themselves. Directly from DuckDuckGo you simply enter an artist and soundcloud behind it and you can listen in directly, if you click on the tab "Audio".

BPM in milliseconds
How long is a quarter note? 500 ms. Did you know? Modern DAWs take this part off in the piano roll or avoid it elegantly, but if you get stuck in the notation and why always these values ​​are needed: there they are.

Lyrics
Even without clicks from the search engine, you can not sing along here, but the first few lines can be displayed without any problems. Here in the example that worked very well. And because of the earwig: You're welcome. : p

rhymes
You prefer to write lyrics yourself instead of singing along? Then sometimes you can not help but rhyme. So just type in Rhyme and the word and thanks to working with RhymeBrain, you'll get many options spit out. Sometimes with more and sometimes with less sense.

DuckDuckGo rhymes

The catch at DuckDuckGo
The whole "hacks" only work in English. That does not usually matter, because the music scene is on the one hand a lot in English on the way and on the other hand the language is very common among musicians.

I think it's great that you can find something like that on the net. Too bad that it's always the little ones you hardly notice. DuckDuckGo is now officially offered by Apple's Safari as an alternative search engine.

Did we miss something? With it in the comments!

To the search engine
go along here

https://duckduckgo.com/

Elantric

http://www.riversongguitars.com/guitars/tradition-2p-ga-stage-tp/
Fishman electronics and Riversong quality together in an amazing innovative instrument!
Riversong Guitars Tradition 2P GA Stage TPThe TRADITION 2P GA STAGE TP
The dream to have a great playing acoustic guitar in an electric size body is here! The Tradition 2P GA Stage TP guitar is designed to look exactly like our award winning Trad 2P GA with a twist. At less than 2″ of depth this guitar feels fast! The top is responsive and braced just like an acoustic. With adjustable neck angle and a new intonation system this guitar is built for the serious stage musician.

And now for the best part...

Bridging the gap from studio and live, Riversong teamed up with the brilliant guys at Fishman Electronics and installed the world's first OEM Triple Play wireless guitar performance/midi system. Think of the guitar as a 133 touch sensitive pad that can play any sample, interface with programs like Ableton, or any midi device.
The knob on the front works as a digital encoder and can control any parameter of your analog or midi signal just by running your guitar output through a channel on your DAW.

The Triple Play software can run on its own or operate as a plug in VST.

This exciting guitar is sure to excite crowds by ripping out solos or just adding a stereo depth to your live or recording performances.

admin

imerkat

Quote from: Elantric on February 02, 2018, 02:14:08 PM

RRP – USD 449 Shipping February 2018 (allegedly...)

More Information
Product Page
[/i]

https://wmdevices.com/collections/effects-pedals/products/geiger-counter-pro

From the Product Page:
"Coming soon since 2011, the Geiger Counter pro is finally a reality."

HAHAHA! i have been waiting for that long tbh

admin

https://www.gearnews.com/behringer-vc340-vocoder-plus-spotted-wild/

A photo from Firechild on Facebook shows a prototype of the yet-to-be-released Behringer VC340 at home in his studio. The VC340 is an updated clone of the Roland Vocoder Plus VP-330 which we first revealed here.

Firechild adds that "Demos will follow within a couple of days". And when they do we'll add them to this article.

Do you find a clone of a vocoder a cool and interesting thing? Tell us your thoughts in the comments below.

More information
Original Facebook post.

https://www.facebook.com/mrfirechild/photos/a.714644558546546.1073741825.531965223481148/2090126770998311/?type=3&theater

admin

admin

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/25804891/

https://www.gearnews.com/prs-john-mayer-stratocaster-drop/

Is the PRS John Mayer 'Stratocaster' about to drop?
Are we about to see a new John Mayer Signature model?

This PRS guitar was first seen being played live by John Mayer last year and there were a few grainy shots of him wielding one back in April accompanied by some YouTube video footage of the gig as well.

PRS John Mayer Strat?
This morning, John Mayer updated his Instagram with this detailed shot of the guitar but in a red finish this time.

As yet we have zero details on this guitar, but I can tell you that the Facebook PRS Guitar Owners Worldwide Group is now getting pretty excited about this latest sighting of this possible new Mayer Signature model guitar.

Birds
What can we tell from this one picture? Well, we can see it has the obligatory PRS 'Bird' inlays and that there is a new Fender style six-point trem with vintage bent saddles rather than the more usual PRS-style bridge.

Also, there are three single coils and what appears to be traditional Volume, Tone, Tone control layout. They aren't marked on the tops of the knobs like a Fender. I presume it will be a 5-way switch on there as well.

Are we about to see a new John Mayer Signature model in 2018? This could be very interesting and I would imagine that it would divide opinion, putting the cat amongst the pigeons – PRS fans tend to be quite a conservative bunch.

I reckon Fender may well have something to say about all this as well, but we will have to wait and see if there is any gravity to this new photo and hope there are some details forthcoming soon.

admin

HecticArt

Quote from: admsustainiac on February 08, 2018, 05:28:23 PM

Greg is a monster. The guy can play!
Those two are a riot when they get together.

I'm digging the Super Rev and the new blue for the PA1.

Elantric

Elantric

Elantric

admin

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1196469-ub-xa-synthesizer-51.html#post13142505
Uli Behringer wrote>
Allow me to provide you with a quick update.

Aside from the earlier desktop version, many of you requested for a keyboard version of the UB-Xa synth and hence we thought we'd share some designs with you. We have asked our engineers to render a 5-octave keyboard version and use this opportunity to show you some of the insights how such a product is developed.

It all starts with the industrial design as well as definition and placement of all functional controls. Once this is completed, the next step is to transfer the "dxf" file which contain the component coordinates plus the artwork for the silk screen printing to the mechanical engineers.
Their job is now to translate the artwork into a fully functional design. In general this works quite smoothly but there are instances where mechanical conflicts arise and artwork changes are required. This collaboration between industrial designers as well as mechanical and system engineers gets more complicated whenever electrical or mechanical constraints come into play.

Over many decades our engineering teams have created a massive component library of close to 100,000 components which have been designed in a photo- and dimension-realistic manner.
This means that any product that is designed based on components from the library will automatically look and feel real, which helps us not only to shorten the design and review process but also skip all photography. As a result any changes can be done almost in real-time and there is no need for traditional photography anymore which is a huge time and cost saver. All our product images on our websites are renderings.

Today I am asking for your feedback in relation to the current design. Do you prefer a keyboard over a desktop version and if yes would you vote for a 4 or 5 octave version. Please remember that the actual features have not yet been decided as we're still gathering valuable input.

Thanks for your feedback.

Uli
https://www.gearnews.com/behringer-asks-youd-like-ob-xa-clone-desktop-keyboard/

admin

aliensporebomb

That is pretty darned impressive.  The only downside is people listen with their eyes so seeing a guy bringing a stratocaster into a classical recital will get a thumbs down in the juried competition but for live performance of classical guitar parts with the sound reinforcement capabilities of electric guitars you can't beat this. 

The other thought I had is it appears he's playing it through a Gallien-Kruger bass guitar head into a SWR speaker bottom so you obviously need a "clean amp" type to get away with the classical guitar sounds, you're not going to get that sound with a bog-standard Mesa Triple Rectifier even in clean mode but still very interesting.

The demo they had of someone playing standard electric strings with this pickup sounded much like a standard clean guitar.   Very interesting.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

admin

https://www.gearnews.com/flat-pack-musical-products-coming-ikea-teenage-engineering/

Flat pack musical products coming from IKEA and Teenage Engineering

Ikea and Teenage Engineering FREKVENS  ·  Source: Ikea

Teenage Engineering have already been collaborating and pushing out into new and interesting areas. Combining their flare for design with an interest in the more consumer side of the music industry. We recently saw the speakers they've produced with Chinese company Raven. This time it's a bit more local with the makers of fabulous flat pack furniture IKEA. They working together to release a series of musical products known as The FREKVENS Collection.

FREKVENS
According to an Instgram post the idea is to create products so that you can host your party. Looking at the picture that probably means a couple of radios, some lights and a part of a flue – or something.

They say that they are looking to release something in 2019 and at this moment details are all a bit scarce. IKEA and Teenage Engineering got together at the Haven music and food festival and had prototypes hidden amongst the Pocket Operators and their other gear. According to this photo that means lights, a vinyl player (they probably mean a record player) and a sound box. There does seem to be a guitar head and neck made out of cardboard and something that looks like a cut-out turntable.

Ikea and Teenage Engineering FREKVENS
Ikea and Teenage Engineering FREKVENS

Who knows what it all means?

It's always exciting when two innovative companies come together in the hope of creating something awesome. So it's going to be interesting to see what comes out in this FREKVENS collection and how much of a party you can have with it. The video all about it below is of no help whatsoever.

More information
IKEA article about collaboration

http://ikea.today/finding-right-frequency/

Elantric

Bobby Owsinski
http://bobbyowsinskiblog.com/2018/02/22/radial-engineering-sold/
February 22, 2018
in MI/Audio Business by Bobby Owsinski
Radial Engineering Is Acquired, And We Hope It Doesn't Change
Ultimate Support Radial EngineeringYou probably know by now from reading this blog that Radial Engineering is one of my favorite audio companies. Every month it seems to come out with a new product that really fills a need in the market. I've featured those products many times here on New Music Gear Mondays, and probably could have many more times except for the fact that I started to feel like I was giving too much coverage to just one company. Now comes the news that Mike Belitz, President and CEO of Ultimate Support Systems, has acquired Radial as of the recent NAMM show.

Outgoing President and CEO, Peter Janis started Radial in 1991, but didn't seem to come into its own until the release of the company's JDI direct box in 1995 (which is still one of the best that you can buy even today and a favorite of studio and live engineers everywhere). The company took the do-it-yourself design by Dean Jensen (who's transformer was the key component) and turned it into a bulletproof commercial product and Radial was off and running.

Through the years the company has acquired a wide variety of acclaimed manufacturers, including Primacoustic, Tonebone, Reamp, Hafler, Dynaco, Iso-Max and Jensen Transformers, in some cases keeping an iconic brand alive. In all cases, it has treated the new companies with respect (unlike a few other companies that we all know) and even introduced new products that still feel like the original company, not an easy thing to do.

My hope here is that the new owner show that same respect for Radial going forward. This is a great company, and it would be a shame to have it's spirit change.

Read more: http://bobbyowsinskiblog.com/2018/02/22/radial-engineering-sold/#ixzz58Y3Ny8Eu

admin

admin

https://www.gearnews.com/wave-gear-finger-based-midi-controller-jewelry/

Wave at your gear with this finger based MIDI controller jewelry
Genki Instruments Wave
Genki Instruments Wave  ·  Source: Genki Instruments Wave

The latest to jump into the "ring" with a crazy wearable MIDI controller gadget is Genki Instruments and Wave. Just launched on IndieGoGo they have already met their goal and now have to turn it into a reality.

Rings
We've seen MIDI tattoos, controller gloves, Leap Motion gesture tracking and VR Ableton control but the humble ring seems to have captured people's interest. There was the Oria Ring controller that seems to have evolved into the Enhancia Ring seen at CES at NAMM this year. There's also the iRing from IK Multimedia and the SpecDrums light and colour fueled ring based controller. But Wave seems to be ahead of the curve, offering a lot of possibilities and marketed with humour and personality – a winning combination in my book.

Wave
This is a wearable MIDI controller which can send commands with the motion of your hand. You can use it to control effects, move parameters, alter aspects of sound, trigger samples, whatever you like. Movement in different ways can be mapped to different controls. So moving up and down could control filter cut-off, rotating your hand could control resonance which waving could push the reverb decay. The movements are officially Tilt, Pan and Roll. Tapping your finger against a surface causes triggering action. But one feature brings an added dimension we've not seen before in a ring based controller, and also accounts for its chunkiness, and that's a bunch of buttons.

In the videos it does look a bit uncomfortably square and angled and you can imagine it getting a bit annoying after a while. However, there are renders on the IndieGoGo page that have it much sleeker, with the buttons cleverly integrated and fabulous looking colour LED display. It actually looks pretty cool.

Key features of the hardware in addition to the 5 interactive buttons and LED display are that it has some haptic feedback and a sweat resistant adjustable textile strap. It runs on Bluetooth, supports Bluetooth MIDI and has a battery life of 4 hours.

Wavefront
A very on-trend idea is to get it to work with Eurorack. Genki have gone all in with this idea by creating their own Eurorack receiver module. Wavefront sports 5 outputs. 3 CV outputs for the waving, and 2 gate outputs for the tapping and buttons. That is very interesting indeed and in many ways takes it to a whole other place. I imagine that once the Eurorack community get hold of it they'll quickly tire of waving and start attaching Wave to other things to generate CV and general weirdness. That's going to be fun.

My aching arms
As with all these sorts of controllers the main obstacle is in the effort required to hold your arms in the air. What I like about the ring format is that your hands are still on your instrument, as normal, and you only have to move when you want to affect something. That's a lot less effort than gloves or Virtual Reality. Although that doesn't stop you feeling silly when you start waving during a performance.

Early Bird
By all accounts they've done a great job on this. Wave can still be pre-ordered on the Early Bird deal of $129 (normal price $200) and should get delivered by the end of the year. If you want the Wavefront module too then it's $199 (normally $350) which is pretty tempting.

More information
Genki Instruments IndieGoGo page.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/wave-control-sounds-with-motion-music-technology#/

Aph

^^^^^^^^ Good one!! ^^^^^^^^^^^
SY-1000  v1.08
BTS for SY-1000  v1.02