IK Multimedia Blueboard

Started by mbenigni, October 15, 2013, 07:32:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbenigni

But still useless for anything other than patch change in Jam Up, as far as I can tell. :(

Ringleader

Today I discovered that the switches are transmitting a latched command (not momentary). This blows because you can't use any hold commands in MidiBridge for additional functionality (especially in Loopy HD). There is a thread from eccecello on the audeonic soapbox forums where Nic provided some examples of how to toggle through various commands with a single footswitch, but I was really hoping to use the hold functionality. http://audeonic.boards.net/thread/49/loop-cc10-cc12-using-cc1

So not sure now if I will keep it or what. It really is just a simple preset/cc switcher with some added goodies if paired with MidiBridge. Without momentary switches it is pretty limited. Transmitting on the release of the button stinks for timing so bank mode is out for me. There is a possibilty that IK will add momentary/latching functionality in an app update, but Sampletank has been broken with Audiobus for over a month now and they don't seem to be very motivated to get that fixed so who knows. But as it stands, the BB is the only midi footcontroller I can use with my Apogee ONE while simultaneously charging my iPad.

Elantric

Unless IK Multimedia improves the missing functionality on BlueBoard, (just read all posts above) I would suggest keep your money.

The Positive Grid BT-4 (due Spring 2014) seems a better choice.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10292.msg74134#msg74134
But who knows what lurks around the corner from others after 2014 Winter NAMM!

Elantric

Jamup Pro -How do you use IK Multimedia BlueBoard's MIDI CC# for remote control of Stompbox FX on/off ?
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11073.msg80981#msg80981

1 ) With Blueboard App you'll need to select MIDI channel 1 (or any single channel, I think) rather than All Channels. To select touch the link right above the bank name at the bottom of the Blueboard app, scroll to the channel you want and then touch Done.

2 ) Enable MIDI control in Jamup Pro XT,

3 ) Then go to midi control assignments, select the effect type, then select Midi learn, you should see the "Waiting for MIDI CC" pop up as shown in the screen shot below.

4 ) After pressing the midi controller pedal you should see the "CC XX detected" pop up as shown below.

Elantric

Now that I finally have my BlueBoard working - here a recent article on how to use it to control sheet music apps

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigblueboard/index.php?pp=irig-blueboard-aow

Combining iRig BlueBoard with your iPad running an app like forScore results in the ultimate sheet music setup for mobile musicians.

forScore was designed as a way to take thousands of pages of score with you on the go. By balancing innovative features like the visual metronome with a gorgeous interface and the most robust library organization of any music reader, forScore proves that you really can have an app that's both powerful and beautiful. Thanks to forScore's ability to download virtually any PDF file directly from the web, it's not only the best music reader around—it's also the world's most comprehensive library of sheet music in just 1.5 pounds.

From the moment you launch forScore, you'll see how everything was designed to keep your music front and center. All of forScore's controls are hidden by default and accessible with a single tap. The visual metronome lets you keep time without extra noise, but also doesn't take up any extra screen space with annoying popups. Auto-turn and half-turn options allow you to navigate without needing to pause in the middle of practice or performance. Turn your iPad sideways for a larger view of your score, and flick up or down with your finger to see the page.

The beauty and simplicity of using iRig BlueBoard wirelessly with forScore, is that you can spend more time playing and less time scrolling through menus. You can also create and manage setlists for a fully manual approach to grouping and sorting your files. Don't let the interface's simplicity fool you, though—forScore has the most powerful organizational system of any music reader. Tag your files with six unique types of metadata (including an unlimited number of keywords) and let forScore handle the rest with a fully dynamic menu system, which can be customized to be all controlled by iRig BlueBoard!

With forScore, you don't just get an app—you get one of the most dedicated teams of developers behind you. In the first six months of availability, forScore received 15 updates, most of them introducing new features. We've added innovative features like audio track linking and playback, bluetooth file sharing, margin adjustment, and more. Best of all, updates are always free, so you won't be left behind or charged extra for new features. We pride ourselves on providing excellent support and the vast majority of features we've added since launching forScore have been based on suggestions from our customers.

mbenigni

Quote1 ) With Blueboard App you'll need to select MIDI channel 1 (or any single channel, I think) rather than All Channels.

I'm amazed that would make any difference... but wow, great news!  Looks like I have something new to play with this weekend.  :)

lusov

Hello, ipAd owner here, quick question regarding expression pedals with Jamup PRO:

How do you configure an expression pedal to control say, an Octaver on one patch, a wha on another, etc, so that when you change patch the expression pedal is controlling a specific effect that you want to modulate on that given patch? Ex. you're playing a song and to play an intro start with patch A which has distortion pedal, EQ and and an octaver, then you switch to patch B that has distortion and wha effect in it.

Hooking up the pedal with Jamup seem pretty straightforward but I'm a bit lost on that part of using the expression pedal.

Elantric

I would contact Positive grid support with your question.

At this hour I dare say the most comprehensive MIDI Control documentation for Jamup Pro is in this thread.

Which translates to the documentation is poor.
IMHO Positive Grid dropped the ball in explaining or documenting all the details on how MIDI control assignments  work. it would appear that the most info on MIDI control exists in the Jamup Pro  "Help" menu. Too bad this can not be printed out as a PDF.( a major design flaw !)

mbenigni

To be fair, I think Positive Grid expected that the MIDI learn functionality would be fairly self-explanatory - and it would have been, if not for that weird bug (or whatever it is) when receiving in OMNI mode.  That was basically a show-stopper for me.

Elantric

The big questions i have.

1 ) Are MIDI CC# assignments Global or can they be unique for each Jamup Pro patch?

2 ) Which JamUp pro effects allow for Expression pedal control and react to the full 0-127 MIDI CC# data  range of an expression pedal?

If this info was not buried on a help file locked up inside the app, i would be better informed.

It forces the user to own  a separate iPad to read the Help file while working. or take lots of screen shots of the Help info and then down load and print out  for off line reading . its just plain clumsy.

mbenigni

Yeah, I agree.  Fact is, I never got far enough to ask those questions.  Made a couple of assignments, JamUp responded erratically, and the blueboard went back in a drawer.

Elantric

This page has many details
http://www.douglas2000.com/jamup/jamupmidi.php

Configuring the Behringer FCB1010 Midi Foot Controller with JamUp Pro XT 2.2

This page describes the requirements and setup needed to connect a Behringer FCB1010 to JamUp Pro XT 2.4 to switch presets, toggle effects and use expression pedals for wah and volume. The FCB1010 is by far the cheapest solution like this. The next up is a Roland which is over $300 used.
Updated 2013-07-23

This configuration is used with an iPad 3 and iPhone 4 using an iRig Midi adapter Griffin StudioConnect. The iPad worked great. The iPhone 4 didn't work hardly at all. I think the iPhone 4 is too slow. While presets would change, it missed most of the messages for toggling stomp boxes and vol and wah almost never worked.

Update - I changed to using a Griffin StudioConnect that I got from Guitar Center for $10! Thank you GC! The StudioConnect plays much nicer with JamUp and Midi. I had to do a shuffle dance of turning apps on and plugging it in at the right time to get it to recognize midi messages with the iRig. I think it was due to the iRig device and software.

Requirements

Behringer FCB1010, new they are $150, used about $100 Behringer FCB1010
Uno Chip www.ossandust.be, I ordered it from here Swell Sound Electronics NOTE: This isn't required for operation, but a nice to have. To see a list of what the Uno chip gets you, please see the Uno Comparison Chart
Highly recommend a UI to program it instead of through pedals. I use free app by Ed Dixon FCB1010 Midi Editor but there are a couple of other free and paid ones: Ripwerx FCB / UNO CONTROLCENTER
MIDI to USB Computer Interface, I got this one from Amazon for $6 USB MIDI Cable Converter PC
MIDI iPhone interface and 5 pin MIDI cable. There are several options, I use the iRig Midi since it was the cheapest Griffin StudioConnect. The interface must be Core Midi compliant, so do NOT get the Line 6 Midi Mobilizer 1.
FCB1010 setup

After you have the Uno Chip installed, calibrate the expression pedals. This should be done whether you put in an Uno chip or not.
Keep pedal 1 and 3 pressed while switching on the unit. The unit is in self-test-mode now. LED's are checking.
Wait until all pedal led's are burning. Push all pedals now (one at a time, including up and down) until all leds are off.
Wait until relay test is finished.
Press the down-button once.
Adjust the left expression pedal (A) to the lowest value. Once adjusted press UP.
Adjust the left expression pedal (A) to the highest value. Once adjusted press UP.
Adjust the right expression pedal (B) to the lowest value. Once adjusted press UP.
Adjust the right expression pedal (B) to the highest value. Once adjusted press UP.
Now the pedals are calibrated and there should be a value of 0-127 to the midi-output.
If you have never used a USB midi cable with the FCB1010, you probably need to enable sysex receive.

In order to work with software, it's necessary that your fcb1010 can receive sysex (system exclusive), which is the language that's used to talk from the computer to your fcb1010.

Switch off the board, and keep the DOWN pedal pressed while switching on again.
After the display turns off completely, release the switch.
Tap the UP button several times, until the CONFIG mode LED lights on.
Tap pedal 7 once so it stays lit (one second tap is enough).
If pedal 7 LED is lit while the CONFIG LED is lit, RECEIVE SYSEX is ON.
If pedal 7 LED is NOT lit, RECEIVE SYSEX is OFF or NOT ENABLED.
Tap the UP pedal to confirm - not DOWN - down CANCELS, up ENTERS.
Hold the DOWN pedal for 3 seconds to exit GOBLAL CONFIG.
Now RECEIVE SYSEX should be enabled, connect an editor and try to talk to it.
Connect FCB1010 to PC using USB Midi cable, connect BOTH in and out cables.

With Uno Chip: Using FCB1010 Editor, load fcb1010-uno-jamup-v2.syx then write to FCB1010. For the cable I bought, I have to set Global Settings / Transmit Sysex Data as a single large block or the transfer never completes.

Disconnect FCB1010 from the USB to Midi adapter, restart it, and connect MIDI out to MIDI in of your iPhone/iPad adapter. Start JamUp. Done!

Controls

This is how the Uno sysex file will control JamUp.
Top row left to right:

Pedal 6: Stomp
Pedal 7: Filter
Pedal 8: Modulation
Pedal 9: Delay
Pedal 10: Reverb
Pedal 5: tap tempo Thanks to Nathan Mayer for this idea

Bottom Row 1-4 and Up/Down: Preset selects

There is no way to control more than 1 of a type with how they implemented this. (Like if you had 2 delays, you can't turn them off and on independently). But if you have two and set one active and one inactive, it will toggle them both the other direction when pressed.

I only programmed up the expression pedals for presets 1-16 since that's all that it used to address. I didn't try going higher than that yet.

I have volume set to go from 1 to 96 instead of 0 to 127 because you never really want it up to 100% on that slider (which is midi 127). 96 might even be too high. I also changed the wah from 1 to 75 which really helped with feedback problems and overall sound.

In JamUp, go to Settings Icon, Support Information, MIDI CC Reference to see all options. You may want to do it a completely different way, but this should get you started.

Note: As of Jamup V 2.3, MIDI learn and remapping is now available as well as many other control assigments added. As of 2.4, there is a CC for Whammy Pitch Shifter Depth.

CC#   Action
1   Pitch Shifter depth
4   Wah depth
7   Master volume
10   Previous preset
11   Next preset
15   Toggle metronome
20   Toggle selected effect
21   Toggle noisegate effect
22   Toggle stomp effect
23   Toggle filter effect
24   Toggle modulation effect
25   Toggle delay effect
26   Toggle reverb effect
27   Toggle amplifier
30   Toggle jam player
31   Jam player increase speed
32   Jam player decrease speed
33   Jam player increase pitch
34   Jam player decrease pitch
35   Jam player increase volume
36   Jam player decrease volume
40   Sampler toggle record
41   Sampler undo
42   Sampler toggle play
43   Sampler toggle dub
64   Tap tempo
More Info

Demo Video on Youtube

Email me: chris AT douglas2000 DOT COM
FCB1010 Yahoo Group
FCB1010 Uno specific Yahoo Group

Elantric

Learn how to use the iRig BlueBoard by IK Multimedia with our EPIC BlueBoard tutorial along with our full review and unboxing of the iRig BlueBoard, a bluetooth wireless MIDI pedalboard for iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch and Mac.

Learn how to use the iRig BlueBoard with Amplitube, Jamup Pro and Loopy HD.

Get the best price as well as supporting Epic Tutorials by checking it out on Amazon for only $99: http://bit.ly/iRig-BlueBoard

You can download the iRig BlueBoard app for from the App Store: http://bit.ly/BlueBoard-App-Store

Read the full review at on our website: http://epictutorials.com/irig-blueboa...

IK Multimedia iRig BlueBoard Tech Specs:

- Bluetooth MIDI pedalboard (10m/32.8' range)
- 4 backlit assignable foot switches
- 2 1/4" inputs for assignable expression pedals or switches
- Can send Bank Change, MIDI Program Changes and MIDI Control Changes
- BlueBoard iOS app runs in background on mobile device or Mac, translating Bluetooth to MIDI
- Runs on standard AAA batteries

Elantric

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/news/?item_id=4174
Now developers can directly integrate
the first wireless Bluetooth™ foot controller into their apps

June 12, 2014 - IK Multimedia, a global technology company and leader in mobile music creation apps and accessories for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, announced today the release of the developer's manual for iRig® BlueBoard, the first wireless pedalboard controller for MIDI and more. Now developers have more ways to integrate iRig BlueBoard directly into their apps.

Experience Total Hands-Free Control
iRig Blueboard is the first wireless pedalboard that uses Bluetooth LE 4.0 to transmit signals to control app functions and features. Musicians currently use iRig BlueBoard with their favorite music making apps like IK's own AmpliTube and VocaLive as well as third party apps like forScore and Loopy HD - it's used to switch on virtual stompboxes, turn sheet music pages, play with volume and wah effects and switch pre-set patches on the fly.

iRig BlueBoard uses Bluetooth 4.0 (LE - Low Energy) technology to transmit the actions of its four onboard backlit footswitches - plus its two optional external devices - to any compatible iOS device, Android device, Mac or PC. Previously this was accomplished by using the iRig BlueBoard app, which worked in the background to convert Bluetooth signals into MIDI data and other control messages. Now with the iRig Blueboard Developer's Manual this can be done within app with direct integration.

A World of Wireless Interactivity
Initially created for musicians, iRig BlueBoard can now be used to work with and send control signals to virtually any kind of app: Game makers can now offer their players a greater degree of immersion and interaction. Educational apps can be made more functional - imagine hands-free page turning for textbooks, lectures or presentations. It also offers a different kind of control for creators of video and lighting apps (imagine triggering DMX lighting via footswitch). And of course music app developers can now seamlessly integrate iRig BlueBoard with virtual synthesizers, DJ apps, sample players and other music creation apps.

Pricing & Availability
The iRig BlueBoard Developers manual and license agreement is free and available from IK Multimedia. To get a copy, email: blueboardtm@ikmultimedia.com

iRig BlueBoard is sold around the globe in music and electronics retailers, and online from the IK Multimedia online store for $99.99/€79.99 (excl. taxes).

For more information, please visit: www.irigblueboard.com

cell7

Fiiiiiinally! Now my doorstop might actually get some use :o)

mbenigni

I'm really glad to see IK Multimedia isn't going to just shrug this product off as a short-term revenue generator, or leave it as a product that only works well with IK Multimedia apps.  If there are enough Blueboard's in the wild to make this worth developers' efforts, there's a lot of potential.

mdortona

A warning to everyone: I had contacted Positive Grid regarding using a pair of Irig BlueBoards with Jamup/BIAS, to turn the efx on and off and switch amps with the second BB, and they told me that YES it could work. Well, they are 110% WRONG. The Ipad only recognizes one at a time.  I had read the tutorials posted here and watched the videos to make sure it wasn't user error (and this time, it wasn't ;D). Luckily, it was within Guitar Center's return period and they were very cool about comping me on the return shipping. Very eager to see what PG's foot controller will be like when it comes out and I still may pursue Elantric's idea to pick up an old POD XTLive or similar device to do the switching.

Matt

erikbojerik

Go to the Support page on the Positive Grid website, click "Submit a request" at the top, and put "BT-2 and BT-4 Feature Request" in the subject line.  Then make a list of all the things lacking in the IK Blueboard that you'd like to see in the Positive Grid BT boards, and how PG could eat IK's lunch if only they would implement them!

Elantric

QuoteThe Ipad only recognizes one [IK BlueBoard] at a time.  I had read the tutorials posted here and watched the videos to make sure it wasn't user error (and this time, it wasn't

FWIW -  Already mention this limitation last year (Nov 2013 )  on a prior post on this same thread here:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9724.msg71455#msg71455

I contacted IK Multimedia and they state"

"The IOS limits you to one BlueBoard connection at a time. Connecting two iRig BlueBoards at the same time is currently not possible"

I wrote back and told them to consider adding this feature, perhaps under OSX 

as i want

Blueboard#1 - MIDI Patch Change transmission
Blueboard#2 - MIDI CC# message transmission

lusov

Quote from: lusov on April 30, 2014, 04:17:01 AM
Hello, ipAd owner here, quick question regarding expression pedals with Jamup PRO:

How do you configure an expression pedal to control say, an Octaver on one patch, a wha on another, etc, so that when you change patch the expression pedal is controlling a specific effect that you want to modulate on that given patch? Ex. you're playing a song and to play an intro start with patch A which has distortion pedal, EQ and and an octaver, then you switch to patch B that has distortion and wha effect in it.

Hooking up the pedal with Jamup seem pretty straightforward but I'm a bit lost on that part of using the expression pedal.

Just to report back that it is indeed possible. I just deleted and re-installed the blueboard app, configure it, went to Jamup and options, midi control assignments. I chose the wah pedal option, set it on learn, thinking it would only work with the wah.

But then i tried a different patch with a whammy and it controls the whammy pedal too, just fine! Not had much time to experiment further but at least the expression pedal works fine with these two different effects.

Now, the abrupt cut you get when changing from one preset to another is a bit crap but that has nothing to do with the issue above. Should have an option to "bleed" the transition a bit from one patch to another.

Update: unfortunately it is rather erratic, the Pitch Shifter seems to loose configuration each time I launch Jamup and now the expression pedal has stopped working and I cannot make it work again. I'll have to try and delete the blueboard app again and see how it goes.

Elantric

Read this thread for a setup tutorial on how to configure BlueBoard or other MIDI Controller  to operate Jamup Pro XT's FX on/off via MIDI CC#. 

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11073.0

Elantric

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/news/?item_id=4856

New AmpliTube for iOS: Native support for iRig BlueBoard
Trigger effects, cycle through patches & swap presets from the floor!

Now you can enjoy a whole new level of control with the latest version of AmpliTube thanks to IK's iRig BlueBoard Bluetooth foot pedal controller. It gives users a stompbox-like experience with 4 assignable MIDI-buttons that can be used to trigger effects, cycle through patches and swap presets from the floor. The new AmpliTube makes pairing the two a seamless and powerful experience by adding a new mode that allows for global control of AmpliTube's robust built-in recorder.

Download the new AmpliTube today, it's available as a free update for existing users or as both a free or paid app for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch for only $9.99/€8.99 (normally $19.99/€17.99). AmpliTube now also features the powerful new ENGL E650 and ENGL Powerball amp heads via in-app purchase for $6.99/€5.99 each and a selection of new Loop Drummer 2 Style Packs via in-app purchase for $3.99/€3.59 each.

mbenigni

Quote from: Elantric on November 07, 2014, 08:32:31 AM
New AmpliTube for iOS: Native support for iRig BlueBoard

I just got this announcement via email and I think it's great news.  I haven't used Amplitube in ages, so I don't know how it compares with Bias, Tonestack, et al. in terms of tone.  But IK is doing a great job in terms of sensibly integrating functionality into their application, and that's also really important to me.  Having to launch another background app just to parse Blueboard events can be a drag.  Similarly, I like that they recently integrated a little drum loop player, which saves the user running another app with background audio enabled, or playing around with Audiobus/IAA and hoping the whole pile of apps is stable.

bbob

I discovered today you can't control two iPads with one Blueboard.  :(

I guess the Blueboard can only be paired with one device.

Elantric

Correct  - its sucks

Also conversely, you can not  use two Blueboards on one IPAD either

I had visions of using one Blueboard for Patch Changes, and 2nd BlueBoard for MIDI CC# Control.

Not possible