4Pockets - Meteor Multitrack DAW for iPad

Started by Elantric, March 17, 2011, 08:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/meteor-multitrack-recorder/id417726727?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4
Meteor is a digital multi-track recorder DAW designed specifically for the iPad, featuring up to 32 high quality audio or MIDI tracks, complete with built in Mixer and Multi-FX Processor.

Key Features:
•Record up to 16 tracks (upgradable to 32) of CD quality audio.
•CoreMidi Compatible.
•Multi-Effects Processor.
•Integrated 32 channel Mixer with 3 Band EQ per channel.
•Supports up to 24 Inputs and Outputs
•Midi Editor (In-App) Edit MIDI Note and Controllers
•Virtual Instruments.
•Sound Cloud, DropBox, and Copy & Paste Support.
•AudioBus Support.
•Apple Inter App Audio (IAA).
•Import & Export Midi Files.
•MIDI Clock Sync with External Hardware.
•Integrated Sample Editor.
•3 Insert Effects Per Track.
•3 Global Send Effect Busses
•Insert Effect and Virtual Instrument Freeze facility to reduce CPU load.
•Record Effects & Record Monitor
•Mixer and Effect Automation
•Metronome
•Stereo Mixdown / Bounce Facility
•Import samples and iPod songs.
•Export to compressed CAF, M4A and WAV formats
•Automatic Delay Compensation
•In-App Purchases through the Online Shop found in the Help Menu

Editor features include cut, copy, paste, fade in/out. clear, reverse, gain, normalize, remove DC offset, time stretch, pitch shift and basic auto tune.

Effects include digital delay, chorus / flanger, reverb, graphic equalizer, auto tune, noise gate, tremelo, tone boost, distortion and many more.

The Mixer and effect levels can be fully automated using definable controller tracks.

Great tool for journalists, With The Video Import In-App you can import a video and Edit, Create and Export the Video and Soundtrack. Great for reporting on the go.

Supports up to 32 tracks on a 4th generation iPad (or later), 24 tracks on a 2nd or 3rd generation when used in conjunction with the In-App 16-24 Track Upgrade.

If you have any questions or issues you can use our online support form and we will get back to you. http://www.4pockets.com/support/

Meteor update – 4Pockets tweak their iOS audio+MIDI recording app
February 10, 2017 by John
Download from iTunes App Storemeteor-logo-2It must be 'DAW/sequencer week' this week on the Music App Blog. Yesterday I reviewed Audio Evolution Mobile Studio and reported that Gadget is soon to get the long-awaited audio recording feature (turning it into a DAW/sequencer)....  while today we see updates to both Meteor Multitrack Recorder and Auria Pro.
While apps such as Auria Pro, Cubasis and Garageband (and, yes, soon Gadget) perhaps get the headlines when it comes to recording under iOS, there are a number of other contenders that are well worth considering. If you want both audio and MIDI recording within a single app, one of the other obvious choices is Meteor Multitrack Recorder by developer 4Pockets.
I did a full review of v.1.5 of Meteor back in March 2013 so, if you are not familiar with the basic operation of the app, that would be worth a skim through. With an initial price of UK£19.99/US$19.99 for the app, and (like Auria Pro) a large selection of add-on features available via IAPs, Meteor comes with a well-featured specification and can be expanded to include plenty of additional options as your needs grow. I suspect most people would see the Virtual Instrument Pack + MIDI Editor (UK£14.99/US$14.99) as an essential IAP purchase to fully exploit the app and there are a number of further useful IAPs available.

Meteor offers a fairly conventional – and workman-like – take on the DAW/sequencer environment....
For a while after I did my initial review, Meteor had regular updates (for example, adding Audiobus and IAA support), however, between December 2014 and September 2016, nothing much happened...  a pretty long time in iOS music technology terms. However, v.2.20 did eventually arrive and, while more evolutionary rather than revolutionary given the nearly 2 year pause but will undoubtedly be welcomed by existing users. The update brings 64-bit support to the app (it now requires iOS8.1, is a 130MB download and is still iPad-only) and also fixes a number of bugs. These include an issue with MIDI output selection in the MIDI Editor and some fine-tuning of the online shop performance. Amongst a few other changes, the optional video import ISP has also been improved for better performance.

The app includes a solid mixing environment.
Anyway, a further minor update – v.2.21 – appeared on the App Store yesterday. This simply brings an update to the DropBox SDK to ensure smooth import/export of data from Meteor....  It is, however, good to see more regular development activity happening again.

There are a range of IAPs available to add to the core feature set of the base app.
As a Cubase user of the desktop, I'm obviously a Cubasis fan on iOS. However, if Cubasis doesn't crank your particular handle, Meteor is most certainly well worth considering. It is a very capable – and quite deep – app, especially if you opt for some of the additional features available via IAP. There are a few things about the interface and workflow that require some familiarisation with when you first start but, once you are over that hump, there are a lot of very interesting features to uncover.
It will be interesting to see if this is the start of a bit more activity from 4Pockets with the app....  and the obvious feature that most DAW/sequencers users would now like to see added is support for AU plugins. If that's forthcoming then it would certainly broaden the appeal of the app....   Anyway, if you are still searching for your ideal iOS DAW/sequencer, and you are not worried about following the crowd, then 4Pockets Meteor is well worth a look.
Meteor Multitrack Recorder

Download from iTunes App Store

In this video demo and tutorial I show some of the great new functions of Meteor Multitrack Recorder by playing and recording a cover of "South of Heaven" by Slayer. I show how Meteor is a real multitrack recorder now by recording 3 tracks simultaneously as well as covering how to set up virtual midi to sync up apps for recording, using the mixer, setting up Automation and touch a little on adding effects. All made possible through the magic of audiobus. I used the Meteor Video plugin to sync up the finished song with the video instead of hearing the unmixed version while i record, I then show how i mixed it that way.. I did add much more volume automation and effects in the final mix. In my next video I am going to show off more of the effects and mixing capabilities of this great app.

In this video I used the Apogee Jam, Meteor Multitrack Recorder, Audiobus, Ampkit, iFretless Bass, and BeatMaker2. All done on iPad 3rd gen.
Category
Music

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app-bundle/4pockets-music-pro-pack/id928004481?mt=8

Rorster

I saw a few video tutorials using Meteor Multitrack recording App first mentioned by Elantric. Here's the question. In one of the videos they recorded a couple of software synths into the project. Are these software synths able to be played/triggered by ones guitar or is a keyboard controller necessary or being used?

Elantric

Use a separate MIDi controller to trigger the synths