minor breakthrough with mainstage

Started by arkieboy, February 09, 2013, 11:02:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arkieboy

So having an Axon, I hadn't really played with the pitch to midi functionality much on the VG99.

Today I had a bit of an explore and I was astonished to find I couldn't set the sensitivity of the pitch detection separate from that of the hex pickup for the COSM functions.  Strum seems useful in this regard - ignoring quiet notes - but I wanted more control.

Slight brainwave at this point - set the 'play-feel' to 'feel 1' then in mainstage select a channel strip, go to the layer editor in the channel strip inspector and set a minimum velocity for each layer (or the quietest layer if you are doing a velocity split) of 20 to 30, depending on how clean a player you are.

This means the VG99 outputs most incidental noise as low velocity notes, which your patch now ignores.

Instantly cleaner triggering.  If you need less velocity sensitivity from your patch, then alter the patch velocity sensitivity instead of the VG99 ... Of course, you can save the settings in a template patch so that every patch you create has the minimum velocity set.

Steve  ;D

BTW on my mac mini I got a round trip latency of 17.2 ms.  Felt pretty responsive
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4