RC300 Frippertronics - first order approximation

Started by shawnb, August 21, 2012, 09:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnb

Interesting - that'll work!

I always applied FX to the input (as noted in the first post). 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

chrish

I read your first post again and it says you were using distortion to try to get the tape degradation effect. I added some mild distortion and so far, that works the best. Tried the rc filter. Turned off the rate modulation and the resonance can only be turned down to one. I recorded a short phrase, hit the overdub, turned down the volume and watched the meter on the mixer. After about maybe 3- 5 regeneration cycles, feedback started to build. I'm thinking a resonate frequency was being re-enforced leading to feedback. After letting it run a few more cycles, it started a howling high pitch, with the meters pegged. Next experiment will be to add an external compressor to the distortion and let it run a cycle or two and then turn off the fx. Good fun. I'm guessing that the software folks who design their tape sims are looking at all kinds of frequency graphs of the real thing, and try to match those.

shawnb

All of the different effects produce different results.    Some resonate & get out of control.   Fun to experiment with.   Ideally a very mild fuzz would be used to emulate Fripp.    Haven't found one that works yet.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

chrish

The following procedure is a reversal of the Shawnb "frippertronics set for the RC-300. This set allows the rc-300 internal fx to be applied to the main output and then back into the phase track via the aux input.

The intent is to simulate how a tape would de-grade the signal each time it is fed back into the phrase track using a the lo-fi effect. I don't if it really sounds like tape degradation, probably not, but it will degrade the signal. But not toward the fuzzyness but kind takes out the low freq sounds.

Maybe another internal effect would be better at this or an actual analog fxs pedal could be looped in with cables. Mainout>

If Roland had set up the rc-300 looper unit so that  effects could be applied  to the sub outs, then we could just use the Shawnb setup as described.

Each time the track is re-recorded (Feed back), it will pass through lo-fi Fx.

1. Press Edit Memory> Press Right Arrow Curser>Memory: Input Out set to SUB
2. Press Right Arrow Curser>Memory : Over Dub Mode set to REPLACE
3.Press Right Arrow Curser>Memory Fade : Fade Out Time  set to 0 to 100 (lower values fade out faster)
4.Press System>Sys: REC Pd Act set to RECàOVERDUB
5. Press Right curser Arrow> Sys: Input Out set to SUB
6. Press Right Arrow> Sys: Track 1 Out set to MEMORY
7. Repeat step # 6 for tracks 2&3
8. In the Track section press Edi under track one slider
9. Press Right Arrow Curser>Track 1: Output set to MAIN
10. Repeat step # 9 for Tracks 2&3
!1. Press Write button to save these settings to the Phase number memory

Plug main outs into the aux input using split mono ¼ inch phone plugs to stereo 1/8 plug. Adjust the volume of the aux and the instrument input. This will effect how the loops feedback and fade out along with the fade out setting in

This setup will allow FX to be applied to the main outs to the aux input.

Now apply FX to the main outs as described in the manual.. Experiment with different FXs, maybe random vibrato or some other modulation can simulate tape wow and flutter and degrade the signal. Set up the expression pedal in order to modulate the modulator.

xcession

terminal amateur noise maker
2 x Godin XTSA & 2 x GR-55
Jaguar Bass GK-3B

MakeNoise Shared System Plus

aliensporebomb

I've been getting some emails from users of the RC300 who are not electric guitar people: I have two people with cellos with single mono pickups and another person is a flute player with a piezo with single input.

It appears the technique doesn't work so well coming from a mono signal - I'm going to test this soon to make sure we can have acoustic users with mics or piezos with single (or dual mono) inputs will work properly.

Nearly all of these users report getting a "subtle signal that sounds like a digital delay".  Interesting.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Syph

That's quite odd...

I was playing around with frippertronics for a while and I never had an issue with my mono bass signal... I seem to remember I was routing bass into the instrument in, with the Sub out connected to the Mic in.