Power supply for Axon AX100 mark 1

Started by Pin, May 02, 2012, 09:53:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pin

Need help with this. I have gotten hold of a s/h Axon AX100 mark 1 but without a power supply.

According to specs it is:
12vac; 1.5 amp; 50/ 60 Kz. So far as I can tell that is identical to the Axon mark 2.

I don't know polarity but the wallwart into Axon plug would be a typical female barrel to receive the internal male of the Axon unit.

I could probably use a universal adjustable multi-volt supply but it is the polarity I am concerned about.

Any help re what to get / ask for and where to get it (I don't mind where from) much appreciated.

musicman65

Pin,

since it's 12 volts AC, there is no polarity technically. Put either wire on tip and the other on sleeve (or whatever applies for the plug type) and you should be fine. If your walwart has one side of its secondary grounded (must have a 3ground prong on plug) AND the Axiom has a grounded chassis to one of the 2 wires carrying the 12vac then it may be necessary to observe a polarity.

To determine, use an ohm meter to measure resistance on the Axion power input terminals to chassis. If one of them measures low (less than 1 ohm) its a grounded chassis. That terminal should go to a 12vac source where one wire is connected to ground. This is very uncommon on low voltage devices. If it is grounded, you can still use a 12vac ungrounded walwart. A grounded secondary walwart would only offer short circuit shock protection on the 12vac....which is not a hazard anyways.

Anyways....sorry for the complexity. It should powerup regardless of polarity.

bd

Pin

Many thanks musicman! Have a "karma point" courtesy of me!

musicman65

Quote from: Pin on May 02, 2012, 12:21:47 PM
Many thanks musicman! Have a "karma point" courtesy of me!

Glad I could help. I've been wanting to try an Axon out for a while. Let us know if its as good as they say.

bd