Godin XTSA

Started by kennisrussell, May 17, 2011, 02:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonn

I recommand DR zebra strings. They are half-electric half acoustic strings (double wound). I use them on my variax and it sounds fabulous with the acoustic models.
here is a video of someone using them on a godin lgx

Hope this will help  :)

bbob

Quote from:  Eamonn on February 22, 2012, 05:16:48 AM
I recommand DR zebra strings.

I used several sets of DR Zebras on my Godin and liked their sound also.

Trouble was, in my experience, after about two days the low E and A strings lost their tone.

Maybe I ran into a bad run batch.

Bob

nelcatjar

My Godin xTSA five position selector switch, position 1 and 2 sound identical.
Position 1 = Neck pickup
Postion 2 = Neck + middle pickup

Anyone else have this problem and/or possible fix?

It's not under warrenty anymore because I bought it used.   I asked Godin, they sent a schematic. I looked at wiring and can't tell anything. It looks normal. Godin wants me to take it to a luthier rather than suggested debugging and fixes.

xTSA Manual:
http://www.godinguitars.com/xtsa.pdf
Q: What's the difference between a musician and a large pizza?
A:  A large pizza can feed a family of 4.

Brian Moore i88.13, Godin xtSA, GR-55, Boss ME-70.

Sedgewick

A simple test is to plug your Xtsa into an amp, and turn it on.  Using a small metallic (iron) device ( like a small screwdriver ), you should be able to tap on the pickups and feel the strong magentism from the pickups that are supposed to be on ( you can also hear the tapping though your amp ).  Switch through all the pickup selector positions and see if one pickup is totally dead, or only in certain switch positions.  That can help you determin if it's a pickup, wiring to/from the pickup, or something in the slector switch.

ntblade

Hi all,
I wonder if anyone can help me.  I have an xtSA which I plug into a Boss GT-10 and so far I'm pretty happy with this setup.  What I'd like to do is to be able to plug into an A/B stompbox and be able to switch between the acoustic and mag pickup sources.  According to the manual, if a jack is inserted into both of the 1/4" sockets on the guitar then I'll have one cable carrying the acoustic and one carrying the mag pickup signals.  I've tried this and it works.

However, when both jacks are inserted there is a big drop in the output produced by the magnetic pickups.

Can anyone else confirm if this is by design, or that it may be a fault?
The guitar has an RMC Polydrive-X system but I just can't seem to find any full schematics for it.  Does anyone have one please?

What I'd really like to do is to be able to plug a stereo TRS socket into one of the outputs which would be much tidier but I'm guessing that both of the sockets are being used to switch power to the system.  I'd be happy to modify the system and replace this say, a pot with a switch (tone control).  Anyway, that's another story!

I'll be attempting to try and contact both Godin and RMC but I don't know if I'll get a response.

Many thanks for reading,

NTB
8o)

Oh, this is cross-posted to the godinforum.  ;)

falke

I have the same guitar as you have and i connect the guitar to the amp using the mix connector and then between piezo or magnetic pickup (or a mix of them) just by using their respectively volume control...

Elantric

I recently purchased a Godin xTSA
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3207.msg52478#msg52478

My prior long term exposure to RMC Piezo hex pickups was back in the late 1990's
with  Aure Prochazka (of the old www.VG8.com) and an RMC equipped  Les Paul he had feeding a
VG-8.  - so its has been a while since I played an electric guitar
with a RMC Polydrive 13 pin system for any extended time.

The 2012 Godin xTSA is  a lovely sounding guitar for my needs, and the attention to details in the low noise RMC electronics pays off in
big rewards!

I have spent numerous hours the last 2 days with the 2012 Godin xTSA feeding either the Roland GR-55, or an Avid Eleven Rack  - and I was very impressed
with the results.

Its very versatile, I really like how the "Electric" Output jack on the xTSA provides a pure passive electrical path for the magnetic pickups (for
blues / rock tone purists) while the "Mix" output  provides a buffered blend of either mono piezo or electric mag pickups.

I find the ergonomics of the Godin xTSA wonderful, the 30 degree angle of the Piezo slider controls feels very natural, and effective 3 band EQ helps for quick tonal corrections at live gigs. And the momentary "S1 S2" toggle switch makes for swift Roland patch changes.

Excellent work!

I go thru a few guitars on a regular basis, but I'm going to keep this one  - I feel very at home with this guitar already -
This Godin xTSA has great tone and sustain right out of the box. I'm extremely picky about neck profiles, and i love how this Godin xTSA plays.   I grew up playing 1950's and 1960's Gibsons in High School in Chicago, and older I get I find my earliest concepts about what makes a good guitar still hold up 40+ years later.
I  prefer fatter / wider necks. (always wanted a 1998 Fender Jeff Beck Strat, or a Danny Gatten re-issue '52 Tele)

The Neck plays a big part in a guitar's Tone, and xTSA delivers many great tones. 

Comparing both Godin LG and XT models , I tend to like the xTSA a bit better, mostly because the Neck is thicker.

The Godin locking Tuners at first seem Ok  - feel more precise than other locking tuners (Sperzel, or GFS/Gotoh) - but ultimately I replaced them with Planet Waves Locking Tuners which improved Tremolo use big time  - read further in this thread.

And the stiff acting tremolo remains stable for palm muting - after i installed a SuperVee MagLok . This 2012 model xTSA is better than prior generations.

Kevin M

I had a 2003 model LGXT and was extremely impressed with the build quality of the guitar. For high gain VG sounds it wasn't that great, but I loved being able to blend clean mag, piezo, and modeled sounds for some nice textures.

Elantric

QuoteFor high gain VG sounds it wasn't that great,

Despite my prior life accomplishments with members of RATT and Quiet Riot -  at this point in my life Hi gain Metal tones are less interesting to me.

I understand Richard at RMC has made subtle changes to the internal "Polydrive X" preamp board -

Mine has a recent 2011 version:

Here is older 2003 version

This holiday season has every second of my time pre-booked  ,but
I'll be doing A/B testing between this guitar and my GK-3 equipped guitars with my VG-99 in a few weeks.

TripMasterB

I too have a Xtsa.  Is it possible to get replacement 3 output jack assembly?  Mine got busted up along with the 13 pin connector.  The wiring looks like a nightmare to solder.  I have emails going to Godin and RMC.  Just wondering if you know of another source.  Thanks.
Gear:
Godin Xtsa, Various Jacksons with GK2A
VG-99, GT-Pro, FC-300, 2 KC500's
BBE 862, BBE 462

Kevin M

Quote from:  Elantric on December 14, 2012, 03:32:23 PM

I understand Richard at RMC has made subtle changes to the internal "Polydrive X" preamp board -

Mine has a recent 2011 version:

Any idea what those changes encompass?

pedwards2932

I have the same guitar.  I bought it used with a GR-20 for $850.  Love the guitar the GR-20 not so much.  It's a little on the heavy side for a 4 hour gig but it may just be because I'm getting old.  I was surprised at how versatile it is even with out the synth stuff.  I played a gig this week and used my Samick Avion with a GK2 pickup with GR-55 just to see how well it worked.  The Samick/GK-2 seemed to work better with the piano and strings than the Godin but on the guitar modeling I was using it seems totally different.  The tele models that I use seemed much more trebley than the Godin and the Les Paul/marshall stack seemed to be muddier sounding (not trebley enough).  I didn't realize the guitar you are using could effect the guitar modeling so much.  I think I will probably go back to the Godin and live with the piano being a bit more finicky.

Elantric

QuoteI didn't realize the guitar you are using could effect the guitar modeling so much.

Yes - There's a difference with the Roland COSM Guitar Modeling tonality between a guitar with Piezo Hex pickups compared to the magnetic hex GK-3 - I have mentioned this before here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5043.msg34288#msg34288

Also (should be obvious)  that the string type makes a BIG difference too with the Roland COSM Guitar Modeling tonality (in regards to Nylon vs Steel string Godins with 13 pin output )

Elantric

QuoteIs it possible to get replacement 3 output jack assembly?  Mine got busted up along with the 13 pin connector. 

Its best to contact Godin support

The Godin Guitar Company
19420 Avenue Clark-Graham
Baie-D'Urfe Quebec Canada
       H9X 3R8

Tel (514) 457-7977 ext.135
Fax (514) 457-5774

jpapadimitrios@godinguitars.com

or
pcarter@godinguitars.com]

or

info@godinguitars.com]
http://www.godinguitars.com/

QuoteAny idea what those changes encompass?

Rumor is there is an improved sub filter built into the newer RMC Polydrive X board and lower noise electronics

pedwards2932

Maybe I need to spend some time with the GK-2 guitar to see what I can come up with.  It really seemed easier to play the synth stuff and the guitar is lighter.  Is there any real measurable difference between the GK 2 and GK 3?  From what I have read there doesn't seem to be enough to merit the purchase.  The other thing I was dealing with on the Avion is it had older strings on it and that may have effected the sound.  I  thought since the guitar modeling was digital it wouldn't make that much difference but obviously it does...oh well live and learn.

Elantric

QuoteIs there any real measurable difference between the GK 2 and GK 3?

Not much difference tonality between those two - it mostly an advantage goes for the GK-3 due to its ability to adjust the string radius to adapt to the fretboard radius of the guitar.

motetito

Hi Elantric. Nice guitar!
I have a lgxt 2011. Do you know if my godin have (has?..sorry) the same RMC piezo system you have in your 2012 godin?
i love the neck too. im so happy with the piezo sound and clean tones from mag pickups. Now im in love with the clean sounds since i have this beauty. I installed the filter in my gr55.
Do you have any problems with synth response?
how do you feel with the problematic gr300 patches?
Menos es más...Tocá con el corazón.

Elantric

QuoteI have a lgxt 2011. Do you know if my godin have (has?..sorry) the same RMC piezo system you have in your 2012 godin?

Tough to know -its best to look at the main PC board and look for the "2011" date code  and "110818" (=2011, August, 18) - like mine has

QuoteDo you have any problems with synth response?
how do you feel with the problematic gr300 patches?

Yes - the GR-55 Grand Pianos and a many of the GR-55 synth patches by default are extremely glitchy / mistrigger - compared to what my guitar with a GK-3 pickup would deliver.

Its best to review the RMC Piezo setup guides for GR-55 we have here.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=26

* Suggested settings for using RMC / Ghost Piezo pickups with the GR-55
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3965.msg26797#msg26797

* Have a Godin Guitar with tracking/ Noise problems with the GR-300 patch when using a guitar with Piezo hex bridge pickups? Order the RMC OPT-01 Subsonic Input Filter Board here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3236.msg21120#msg21120

Kevin M

Not to steal this thread, but I just received mine today (hard to beat free shipping and in only 3 days since I ordered it). I played around with it for an hour or so today and am quite impressed. It feels like a high quality instrument and sounds impressive given my limited testing. The GR300 patches in my VG99 still aren't as good as with a GK3, but my high gain patches are noticeably improved over my Brian Moore i2.13. I think with a little work this will find its way into regular rotation for me. Two thumbs up!

Elantric

Glad to hear you like your xTSA .

I recently signed up for Amazon Prime and extremely impressed.

When the XTSA price went back down to $530 , I ordered a 2nd one which was a better quality guitar than my first which had that separating fretboard / Neck issue. So I decided to return the first xTSA and the replacement arrived yesterday.  These are great guitars.

But the Roland GR-55 is very frustrating to get the Normal pickups or volume controls to work.  And after spending too much time with frustrating redundant screens and getting it working, of course I got distracted and powered it off and now have to repeat my steps.

There is such a disconnect with the GR55 in regards to processing normal pickup sounds, Roland really threw a monkey wrench which explains why at NAMM they use these cheap demo guitars with just a GK3 and no other pickups.

Kevin M

Whoa! Glad I read your post!  Just noticed a crack in the neck close to the headstock. I missed that yesterday. Replacement should be here on the 26th. Gotta love Amazon's speedy service!

germanicus

I've been through a few Godins. Great guitar and all around value.
xTSA is probably the best all around value synth guitar there is. I just talked a buddy of mine into getting one of the ones on amazon.

Last year, I missed having one, so when amazon blew out their stock of LGX-SA's I jumped at it. Fantastic guitar, it came perfect, no setup needed.  Ive also noticed that while the whole "lack of hi-pass filter with piezo" issue is still present, it seems much more tame compared to how my XTSA was (very boomy). Elantric have you tried your xTSA with the gr55's gr300 emulations?

If you are considering a Godin, also take a look at the LGXT and LGX-SA as they are slightly higher quality than the xTSA in terms of fit and finish. I dont think that at the normal $1600 price tag the difference is worthwhile when compared to an xTSA, but at the prices they are going for on Amazon its worth considering.

Godin makes great stuff!
My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

kenact

I've had an LGXT for several years now. It is my primary guitar. Forgetting about the synth capability for a moment, it's most flexible guitar I've ever had.
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

Elantric

During the Christmas break I finally had some time to play with the GR-55 and my new Godin xTSA RMC pickup guitar.

I'm using these settings below with much success using my 2012 Godin xTSA (RMC) and stock GR-55 (rev 1.50 firmware ) and Boss GP-10

Thanks Jim Williams!

On both my xTSA'a - the COSM Modleling sounds most excellent .

This is AFTER I follow Jim Williams Piezo Setup.

--
In System, Set the GK PU type to:
PU type ;  PIEZO R
Scale :  ST
PU phase : NORMAL
PU direction : NORMAL
S1/S2 position : NORMAL
NORM PU gain : 0 dB
PIEZO TONE  LOW  :    -2
PIEZO TONE HIGH  :   -3

"DIS"
10.0 mm all strings (does not matter GR-55 ignores this for all Piezo PU selections)

"SEN"
Set the sensitivities for all strings to "50" average (+/-5  - that is all my strings have sensitivity set in the range between 45-55 .
(Note: Godin's older than 2012, might work better with Sensitivity set to "0")

"VEL"
Velocity Dynamics :  2
Play-Feel         :  2 (may vary depending on how you play synth tones)
Low-Velocity Cut  :  8-9

"NUA"
Nuance Dynamics   :  4
Nuance Trim       :  4

"DOW"
Shift   :   0
===============

Be sure you are using Headphones when forming opinion on the sounds  / patches of your Roland gear.!!

Ive voiced prolifically on this forum my preference for GK-3 type pickups for use with Roland COSM Modeling systems , but there have been some minor incremental developments  / improvements in the RMC electronics over the years. I admit bulk of my prior opinions on RMC piezo pickups were based upon a 1998 era RMC Piezo Polydrive 1 install in a Les Paul feeding  a Roland VG-8, where I could always "hear" the underlying RMC piezo characteristics in the VG-8's output, regardless of any patch or tweaking.

In contrast, the GR-55 with firmware 1.50 , and using Jim Williams Piezo setup suggestions

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3965.msg53317#msg53317

and string sensitivity at an average of "50" for all strings with this new Godin xTSA - the GR-55 sounds wonderful. True the GR-300 preset still has low frequency handling noises and random noises, (the optional RMC OPT-01 sub filter board should cure this) -

In context when using only the 13 pin cable. The Godin's Normal Mag PU"S (Or Mono Piezo Signal  - depending on the guitar volume control settings) will  feed pin #7, on the 13 pin cable where the GR-55 can act as a "GT-100 like" COSM Amp Modeler. All audio output occurs at the GR-55 Stereo Output jacks.
My first order of business was modifying ALL GR-55 User Presets to enable the use of the Godin's Normal pickups and enable use of the three way "Guitar / Mix / Synth" switch on the Godin - and for me, thats where the magic of the GR-55 happens. Many factory GR-55 patches become 300% more useful.
For example, one GR-55 Xylophone patch had a great multitap delay that when used with only straight normal pickups becomes a wonderful world of great tone where the Roland COSM Amp modelling and effects can be appreciated.

I do think the only way to go with the GR-55 is to use an external stereo Volume pedal, and then dedicate the on board GR-55 Expression pedal to "pan / morph" different effects / tones within a single patch. I also find that the xTSA and RMC Piezos and GR-55's Acoustic Modeling sounds very excellent !

But I also notice that with little effort, palm Muting IS possible and get very close to the sound of the Normal pickups.  Finally having a working  "Guitar / Mix / Synth" switch on the Godin  allows instant verification and reality check on the COSM Guitar Modeling and for me opens up worlds of usefulness for the GR-55.