Synclavier GO (IOS)

Started by admin, January 06, 2019, 05:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/synclavier-go/id1378108734?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4
Synclavier Go! is an authentic re-creation of the Synclavier® II Digital Synthesizer of 1980. This historic instrument burst upon the music scene in May, 1980, and ushered in the digital musical instrument revolution of the following decade.

Synclavier Go! presents the original Velocity-Pressure Keyboard (VPK) button panel adapted to the highly sensitive gesture recognition system of the iPad. Under the hood is the powerful CSynclavier DSP Engine, complete with Partial Timbre, Timbre Frame, FM-Synthesis and Additive-Synthesis methodologies.

But there is more! The original Synclavier® hardware offered 8-bit audio resolution - just enough to create rich strings, robust pads and sci-fi effects that were, above all, interesting and attention-getting. In the day we dreamed of 10- and 12-bit audio resolutions; we knew they would offer tremendous sonic potential, but could not be realized on the hardware of the era.

Synclavier Go!'s Bit Depth setting is the first control that will really rock your socks - after, of course, browsing through the included 979 original factory Timbres developed during the era ("Preset" was an unknown word at the time, so we called each sound a "Timbre"). 4-bit digital grunge turns to 12-bit silky smoothness with a turn of the authentic knob.

The Synclavier® knob is as unique today as it was revolutionary at the time of its introduction. The knob is a rate-of-change controller; close your eyes and let your right-brain kick in to the sound design process. Forget the numbers; forget the digits; let your ears guide the process. Sound design with a touch-screen and Synclavier® knob is as different from a mouse-driven GUI as, well, Synclavier® was different than the Fairlight CMI!

Release 1.0 features include -
• Embedded "Tour" pages detailing setup and operation
• Library browser for saving and calling up Timbres
• 96-button authentic VPK interface
• 16 "Timbre Diskettes" (8 banks x 8 entries)
• Audio Setup 44.1/48 kHz and sample latency controls
• 16-track multi-timbral implementation
• 16-track composite stereo Audiobus output
• Meticulous re-creation of the Synclavier FM sound using hardware modeling
• Easily share Timbres via Audiobus or iTunes file sharing
• Direct expression routing for pitch bend, mod wheel, velocity and pressure

CSynclavier DSP Engine
• 12 Partial Timbres
• Delay-Attack-Decay-Release envelope generators
• 100 Timbre Frames per Partial
• Noise Floor and Bit Depth controls
• Micro-tuning controls
• Dynamic and Keyboard Envelopes
• Vibrato and Tremolo LFOs
• Authentic re-creation of original instrument and sounds

Join us in the exciting renewal of this historic instrument as we strive towards Release 2.0!

Note to Parents: Synclavier Go! is as educational as it is historic and authentic. This app can introduce your teenager to the technical aspects of sound and sound design in a fun and informative environment.

luminous_flux

I was reading this and thinking, cool, but I wish it was a VST plugin - and then I remembered there is a VST plugin.
https://www.arturia.com/synclavier-v/overview
So in a roundabout way, good news  :)

Chrismiami

One of my favorite compositions is Are You Going With Me, by Pat Metheny Group.

The "head" (main melody) of the song was played by Pat on a Synclavier, and then looped; in fact they always used the same recording when playing the song live.

What I've become semi-obsessed with is attempting to recreate the Synclavier settings used on the song.

Anyone have any clue what he might have done or how he might have set it up?  I'm hoping Synclavier Go! is up to the task of letting us play an "authentic" cover of the song - wouldn't that be awesome?

aliensporebomb

Do you mean the thick pad chords that is the main chord progression? 
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Chrismiami

Quote from: aliensporebomb on April 10, 2023, 07:16:08 AMDo you mean the thick pad chords that is the main chord progression? 

I think so? Not quite sure what you're thinking of, but in the attached PDF excerpt from the Songbook, it starts at [A] MELODY and goes for 48 bars.

Chris