GR-33 - New To Me GR33 defective or needs factory reset?

Started by leshogan, September 05, 2017, 01:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leshogan

First Post here!  Incredible wealth of great hands-on experience all under one roof...  An old-guy, new guitarist who enjoys making tones and stumbled into variaxland last year, but now into the Roland/Boss synth camp having bought a GC-1 strat and GR-20, plus a GR-33 which arrived few days ago.

The new-to-me GR33 though is pretty cool, except on each bank, A to H, the #34 patch makes a PLONK Note at end of the G string resonation.  This happens on G string at 5th, 6th, or 7th fret.  There is no fret buzz causing this, it isn't the Roland 13pin cable, and there was nothing similar that occured when using the GR-20 with the GC-1 Roland Strat.   

The Plonk effect is very loud and abrupt.  Sometimes  continues for half a beat with a few plonking notes, other times just one or two.  Happens even on open strumming, sometimes.   Seems likely that the synth is damaged.  Unlikely that previous owner deliberately programmed such an effect on every 34 numbered patch.

I have not attempted to do a factory re-set.  I only stubmbled onto the problem on Sat, and then took time on Sun to prove that it was not operator error or a one time hickup.  Nice to have the GR-20 and GC-1 to use as a control for verification.

Does this situation sound like one that a re-set might remedy?    My searches showed no similar problems ever reported.  If the Plonk Effect happened in a uniform manner whenever the G string was struck, or whenever G 5/6/7 were struck, seems like it might be a program error.  Yet seems unlikely because of intermittent nature and different length every occurence.

This GR-33 is going back this week unless this kind of glitsch is a typical event that a re-set and more careful patch crafting might cure.

Anyone who cares to venture a comment as to how to remedy this, I will be grateful.

Elantric

Ive not experienced this

Suggest try  reset your GR-33 and verify your GC-1 is setup correctly - check that the strings are NOT hitting the GK PU

---
https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/roland-gr-33-initializing-restoring-factory-settings/
The following procedure can be used to clear the internal memory and reload the factory settings:

(CAUTION: All USER information will be lost. Be sure to back up any information you wish to keep.)

1. Press SYSTEM.

2. Press PARAMETER RIGHT to select "Factory Reset."

3. Rotate the VALUE Dial to select the parameters you would like to reset:

ALL: Restores all settings to their original state.

SYSTEM: The System settings will be restored.

USER PATCH: User Patch settings will be restored.

PC NUMBER: Program change numbers are re-assigned according to the current order of patches.

3. Press WRITE two times to complete the reset.

leshogan

Thanks for the reply, Elantric.

Will take the action suggested and report back.  Strange that  if the strings were making contact with the GK pickup that only one memory # in all A-H banks would give off the plinking after note.  I will also look at the string height on the neck and reset the sensitivity.  The Roland strat is a very nice guitar.

leshogan

With a wobbly patch selector dial to deal with, I sent the GR-33 back.
Try another day...  Thanks Again!

TESKE

ola amigos ,fui trocar a bateria interna do me GR33, e continua aparecendo Battery Low ,inclusive esta acontecendo o mesmo no meu teclado xp50, alguem pode me ajudar ? sera que fiz alguma coisa errada ?

gumtown

translate:
Quotehello friends, I went to change the internal battery of my GR33, and the Battery Low continues to appear, including the same thing happening on my xp50 keyboard, can anyone help me? Could it be that I did something wrong?

Hoping the replacement battery is in good condition, and is new one.

Have you tried a factory reset on the GR-33 ?

Esperando que a bateria de substituição esteja em boas condições e seja nova.

Você já tentou um reset de fábrica no GR-33?
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

TESKE

Sim a bateria e nova e ja tentei o reset de fabrica e continua aparecendo, tem outro maneira ?
Obrigado