Replacing or fixing the rotary encoder?

Started by gogogoch, February 07, 2023, 02:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gogogoch

Hi,

The main encoder wheel on my GT40 is dying -- it doesn't register turns, sometimes skips multiple steps, or goes backwards and forwards arbitrarily. Is this repairable? Is it something a spritz of deoxit might fix (if I knew where to apply it -- which would be where?) Or can anyone point me to a replacement part I can order?

Thanks!

gumtown

a bit of deoxit will most likely help, it needs to get inside, most encoders are sealed, so replacing might be a better option.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

dazco

Yes deoxit and you CAN however do it w/o getting inside. Take off the knob and then the collar u will see once the knob is off and generously shoot a healthy amount of deoxit into it from the side of the shaft. It will be messy and get all over the panel but it won't hurt it. Put a rag around it or whatever then wipe it dry once done and spin the data wheel a bunch of times to work it in. I have done this a number of times and it will usually improve it but not completely fix it. These encoders are total crap quality and would be a biotch to replace but i have found often this helps even if it's still buggy, just less so. The best bet for some might be the app. I hate the app but at least you don't have that issue.