GK-based "pedal" steel? Anyone ever?

Started by jtode, February 04, 2023, 10:57:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtode

So my gear is a GP-10 and a Godin XTsa, along with a spare GK-3 pickup since I got the Godin. I have used the B-Bender patch with my band once or twice and I loved the sound (a real B-Bender is on my wish list, but it's way down the list of actual priorities lol). Anyways, mainly inspired by the B-Bender, it occurred to me that with more midi control inputs, one could bend the rest of the strings as well, and get all the functions of the various pedals on a pedal steel, without that heavily-engineered and heavily pricey bridge.

My first attempt at making something like this happen was, I installed the GK onto my Peavey Powerslide, but unfortunately the string pitch is way way out of whack - I was able to track the top 3 strings okay, which is something I suppose, but now we're mixing real pickup and modelled strings, probably I could make a workable patch up, but, eh.

Anyways, last week I had an issue with my A string where it wasn't making proper contact so I ended up in dialogue with Godin support (I usually get all up in the guts of my guitars but this one is not typical so I asked before I did anything rash - they are very responsive and helpful, I have to say), and it turns out that all their Synth stuff is parts from RMC - I had asked if I could order a replacement set of XTsa synth guts, and they told me it's all standard RMC stuff.

So now I'm thinking I'm gonna rig up a 6-string lap steel with a set of RMC saddles and have a go at building a custom foot controller with a Teensy I've got in a bin somewhere, but I'm curious if anyone is aware of any projects of this sort already in existence, either commercially or DIY?