the new hype is clonig/captures/profiling? Is it really game changing?

Started by hsuru4u, March 27, 2023, 10:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hsuru4u

just wonder what you guys think. Seems kemper started it long ago..and noone latched on untill qc arrived.Now tonex at $400 is a profile player and the new headrush prime touts cloning amps and pedals. I get the draw but if a modeler has like 50-200 amps in it isnt that enough? And are profiles just a snapshot of an amp at a particular moment/gain and cannot be modified realistically?

sixeight

I quite enjoy both. Modeling is great, but a profiled amp dailed in by someone else can give very suprising sounds. That is what I really enjoy about the Kemper. But that is a bit bulky to bring along to the gig.

Elantric

My Mooer GE300 offers a Kemper like Tone capture for third party guitar Amps or Distortion FX  since 2018

Bill Ruppert

Using the Kemper Profiler, I can profile a piece off gear and using the Kemper controls actually make it better than the original.
It is that good, and it has happened over and over again.

There are new players in the game, but the Kemper is so much better for me.
Its sound, look, effects and EQ and gain scaling knock me out.
(The 200 watt Kemper Power Kabinet's are great as well)

aliensporebomb

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on March 28, 2023, 06:07:33 PMUsing the Kemper Profiler, I can profile a piece off gear and using the Kemper controls actually make it better than the original.
It is that good, and it has happened over and over again.

There are new players in the game, but the Kemper is so much better for me.
Its sound, look, effects and EQ and gain scaling knock me out.
(The 200 watt Kemper Power Kabinet's are great as well)

Bill I've wondered since the Kemper first appeared on the scene if an idea I have is possible with the Kemper: can you model a very specific signal chain say and then bring that for gigs or recording dates instead of dragging rare scarce fragile equipment out?   Either that or simplify a very complex signal chain to a profile to make it easier to achieve regularly?  I also thought maybe it would be possible to model "not necessarily a guitar" type signals for....well "unclassifiable instruments" or the like.

`
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

whippinpost91850

ASB you can profile a whole dist chain. Pedal, amp, spk, mic, mic pre.
But you can't profile time based effects, but the onboard effects are pretty awesome

Bill Ruppert

Whip is right, it is just the amp/speaker stages and what ever over drive dist pedal you have in front of an amp.
I have profiled all my Roland boss amp stuff as well as helix and others direct in.
Sounds great.
Very often the profile is even better due to the Kemper EQ, effects and gain scaling.
And Whipingpost is right, the effects are amazing.
My favorite comp anywhere.
Reverbs are top end, as well as the delays and pitch shifter.
Cant say enough about the box!

whippinpost91850

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on March 29, 2023, 04:44:31 PMWhip is right, it is just the amp/speaker stages and what ever over drive dist pedal you have in front of an amp.
I have profiled all my Roland boss amp stuff as well as helix and others direct in.
Sounds great.
Very often the profile is even better due to the Kemper EQ, effects and gain scaling.
And Whipingpost is right, the effects are amazing.
My favorite comp anywhere.
Reverbs are top end, as well as the delays and pitch shifter.
Cant say enough about the box!

I agree 1000%

gumtown

I have yet to try out a bit of tone cloning gear, from what I understand the capture is just a static 'moment in time' of the tone there & then.
I wonder if one day they will be able to capture EQ tone stacks in such a way, like this:
1: all EQ set flat = base capture
2: add a knob (knob 1 = mid) turn knob to minimum + add capture, turn knob to maximum + take capture
3: next knob (s) bass, treble, presence.
4: add a switch (sw 1 = contour) capture in + capture out.

and so on so your captured tone stack can translate to panel knobs on your tone capture player,
 and all these captures are combined into a complete Amp-in-a-box with tone section as per EQ section of the original amp captured...

This seems like the natural progression of things to come, do you think ?
or is there equipment which can already do this ?
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

scratch17

HW at TonejunkieTV has released two YouTube videos of his interview with Christoph Kemper at NAMM 2023.

Big Kemper News:

'Liquid Profiling' is coming to the Kemper. Liquid Profiling adds modeled gain and tone controls to the Profile. The Kemper's greatest criticism has always been that profiles are static snapshots with tone and gain controls that don't behave like the original amp's controls. Existing profiles will be capable of being upgraded to integrate the modeled controls. Apparently you will even be able to add a Marshall's modeled controls to a Fender profile.

Hopefully with Liquid Profiling this issue will be resolved.

Also coming is USB audio, Android device support, integrated profiling with Rig Manager and a Kemper Marketplace.

No demos of these capabilities have been released yet, but based on Kemper's past history, they have always delivered top quality on their promised upgrades of the Profiler in my opinion. I bought my Rack in 2015. Since then, there have been multiple free firmware upgrades adding tremendous value to the profiler.

See these two videos:

Hamer Duotone, Brian Moore i213, Taylor 710 BCE 

VG-99, FC-300, RMC Fanout
RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
68 Fender Bandmaster (AB763)
Marshal AS80R

UA Apollo X6, Twin X, Logic Pro, Luna, Melodyne Studio

whippinpost91850

Quote from: scratch17 on May 05, 2023, 01:43:55 PMHW at TonejunkieTV has released two YouTube videos of his interview with Christoph Kemper at NAMM 2023.

Big Kemper News:

'Liquid Profiling' is coming to the Kemper. Liquid Profiling adds modeled gain and tone controls to the Profile. The Kemper's greatest criticism has always been that profiles are static snapshots with tone and gain controls that don't behave like the original amp's controls. Existing profiles will be capable of being upgraded to integrate the modeled controls. Apparently you will even be able to add a Marshall's modeled controls to a Fender profile.

Hopefully with Liquid Profiling this issue will be resolved.

Also coming is USB audio, Android device support, integrated profiling with Rig Manager and a Kemper Marketplace.

No demos of these capabilities have been released yet, but based on Kemper's past history, they have always delivered top quality on their promised upgrades of the Profiler in my opinion. I bought my Rack in 2015. Since then, there have been multiple free firmware upgrades adding tremendous value to the profiler.

See these two videos:

I saw these when they were 1st released. I'm very excited about the new features and can't wait to try them

lespauled

I've gone through so many modelers and I finally got a Kemper.  It was a game changer.  No longer was I trying to get my amp's sound by getting something close, and tweaking knobs endlessly.  Now I have my amp's sound, and it sounds great everyday, in any venue.  For me, it was worth every penny.  I never looked back.

whippinpost91850

Quote from: lespauled on July 03, 2023, 07:27:30 PMI've gone through so many modelers and I finally got a Kemper.  It was a game changer.  No longer was I trying to get my amp's sound by getting something close, and tweaking knobs endlessly.  Now I have my amp's sound, and it sounds great everyday, in any venue.  For me, it was worth every penny.  I never looked back.
Same here, I've been Giggling a Kemper, for almost 11 yrs. I love it Midied to my GR55, for unlimited sounds