Toggling Presets - Favorites or External Pedal

Started by bigkid, July 03, 2023, 11:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigkid

Hi all.

I am looking at the Boss GT-001 as a possible solution for practice while on the road. I prefer to toggle between presets for rhythm/lead tones. I have about a dozen tones I use regularly. Is it possible to toggle between two presets using a favorite button. That is, say press button A once for preset 1, again for preset 2, and once more for preset 1 again.  Also, is toggling presets possible with a dual external aux switch? Two buttons to access 4 presets?  Appreciate your advice. Cheers, Allan

gumtown

The Boss GT-001 FAVORITE buttons only select any one given patch per button.
It also lacks a 5 pin DIN midi port for external midi controllers,
but you could use a CME WIDI uHost into the USB port and get a small BLE Bluetooth midi foot controller to connect wireless..
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

bigkid

Thanks gumtown. I'll look into that. Cheers.

Hammerhands

It's possible to have a pedal toggle between two patches, there are a couple of ways of doing this.

You can get a pedal like an FS-7 and you can set it up to switch up and down between favourites or inc/dec through all the presets.  You can limit the number of presets it will scroll through. 

That seems like the most simple way to do things.  Toggling between the 4 favs gives you clear visual feedback, 2 presets are one step away and 1 preset is 2 steps away.

When you do that, you would have CTL1 and CTL2 set to System, but you could setup your patches to do something else.

You could access 8 or 12 presets with a combination of button pushes and 2 footswitches:

Let's say you have your favourites assigned like this:  A=2, B=5, C=8, D=11.

In preset 2, 5, 8 and 11 you have CTL1 set to Patch DEC, in preset 1, 4, 7 and 10 you have CTL1 set to Patch INC.  If you choose one of your favourites like A, then press CTL1 it will goto 1, then you press it again it will goto back to 2.

Then you can set CTL2 to toggle between 2 and 3, etc..., or you could have it toggle between favourites.

You could do this:
Set 1 and 3 as favourites.
In 1, CTL1 Patch INC, CTL2 Fav INC.
In 2, CTL1 Patch DEC, CTL2 Patch INC.
In 3, CTL1 Patch INC, CTL2 Fav DEC.
In 4, CTL1 Patch DEC, CTL2 Fav INC or DEC.

The result would be:
1 CTL1 2, CTL2 3
2 CTL1 1, CTL2 3
3 CTL1 4, CTL2 1
4 CTL1 3, CTL2 1 (If it's not on a favourite and you choose next favourite, it goes to favourite A)

If you are willing to change the MIN and MAX presets, you could scroll through any set of 4 presets in a row like you can scroll through favourites using Patch INC/DEC.  You could set the MIN and MAX presets with SysEx commands.

If you will have the GT-001 connected to a computer, the possibilities are endless!  You could track long and short presses or double presses and then your two buttons become 4 or 6, and you wouldn't be limited to INC/DEC.

But then it may be better to connect the pedals to the computer, maybe through a Boss EV-1.

Using Assign INT PDL (internal pedal) an expression pedal can be used to trigger 3 actions, EXP LO is toe down, EXP HI is toe up and EXP MID is when it crosses the mid-point.  I can't think of how to make use MID, at the moment, but using HI and LO you can still use wah and switch patches.

bigkid

Genius Hammerhands! Haven't received my GT-001, but these pedal options are perfect. That said, I have been thinking about using my laptop with Reaper to mix backing tracks and my guitar. As the GT001 is getting on in years, have the Boss drivers kept pace with changes in operating system? I am using Windows 11.  Thanks for the most detailed input - great low cost options. :-)

Boisdelac

There is a Win 10/11 driver available. For playbackpurposes you don't need reaper. Just use the GT001 as an external soundcard and send your backing tracks to the GT001 directly while playing guitar.

To select between four different patches you can use the fav buttons. To select between all patches you can use one of the encoders. That frees the possibilities of two external CTL buttons to select between the two divider paths where you can place different amps with different gain settings and switching on/off a additional effect block.

bigkid

Quote from: Boisdelac on July 09, 2023, 03:01:28 AMThere is a Win 10/11 driver available. For playbackpurposes you don't need reaper. Just use the GT001 as an external soundcard and send your backing tracks to the GT001 directly while playing guitar.

To select between four different patches you can use the fav buttons. To select between all patches you can use one of the encoders. That frees the possibilities of two external CTL buttons to select between the two divider paths where you can place different amps with different gain settings and switching on/off a additional effect block.

Thanks Boisdelac. Seems a lot more flexible than I was thinking. Just waiting on the unit to turn up in the post. Still 2 weeks away. Cheers.