Ads

Started by Brak(E)man, November 17, 2022, 03:15:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brak(E)man

Today I get pop up ads for the first time ever when opening the forum. See attached.
I haven't changed anything in my setup, using an iPad safari , desktop or mobile mode doesn't matter.
No other site/forum I'm using are doing this.
Am I missing something here or ?

You cannot view this attachment.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

billbax

You beat me to it Brak(E)man :)  The same geolocation ads for me when not logged in. I deep cleaned my Linux laptop/tablet systems/browsers and it's still the same.

Was wondering whether it's because I live in the cheap seats :(

Bill

My advert
https://separate-strings.co.uk

Brak(E)man

I'm logged in but I get the ads anyway and if they don't show which happens on and off there's an empty space where they pop up otherwise.

- Lydia Lunch

admin_shawnb

We have no ad software installed.

I will investigate. 

Not good.

aliensporebomb

Quite odd - I wondered what you guys were talking about and within 15 minutes they started happening.   
Running on a Mac with Big Sur 11.71
Chrome Browser: Version 107.0.5304.110 (Official Build) (x86_64)
Ran malwarebytes and found nothing in the way of malware on my system.
Oddly, it may be coming from google itself.
Click on the little pyramid that denotes adchoices and it will talk about it.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

admin_shawnb

They should be gone now.  I'm still looking into this.

Brak(E)man

It was gone but it's back again.

- Lydia Lunch

admin_shawnb

Yep.  Still looking into this.  Sorry for the inconvenience... 

billbax

The ads are back, and had to log in twice.

chrish

Quote from: admin_shawnb on November 17, 2022, 10:14:28 AMYep.  Still looking into this.  Sorry for the inconvenience... 
no inconvenience. Personally I think,the ads are a good thing if it helps fund this site and perhaps puts a little cash in the owners pocket.

I got a reverb.com ad just now and it was a good reminder of what I've been checking out and the need to post some stuff for sale there.

admin_shawnb

Keep your fingers crossed!

Nothing we could fix on our side.  Our host, HostGator, has been non-communicative about what happened.

BROCKSTAR

Quote from: chrish on November 17, 2022, 10:35:32 AMno inconvenience. Personally I think,the ads are a good thing if it helps fund this site and perhaps puts a little cash in the owners pocket.

I got a reverb.com ad just now and it was a good reminder of what I've been checking out and the need to post some stuff for sale there.

Uh no. Never a good thing. They're annoying and can slow down computers and phones and what not. Also ads can also be malicious!

BROCKSTAR

Yay, seems like the ads are gone now after the site disappeared for a bit! Thank you whoever fixed it!

arkieboy

I'm not seeing ads anymore either.  Well done admins!

FTR I'm not against ads per se: I am against cookies following me round the internet like a stalker and being profiled by the big internet companies, I'm also against the inevitable consequence of these significant pieces of plugin software that are ads, which is that they get exploited by malware, and that they use significant computing resources without reimbursing me for the amount of electricity they use!

FFS its so boring too - considering how advanced the computing in Google and FaceBook is, by the time they've picked up on something I'm interested in, I've already bought it and moved on!
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

chrish

Quote from: BROCKSTAR on November 18, 2022, 04:17:32 AMUh no. Never a good thing. They're annoying and can slow down computers and phones and what not. Also ads can also be malicious!
if it keeps the lights on, I don't see a problem. A fee could be charged for members who do not want to see ads the way many forum operate.

As far as malicious ads go, don't click on them and block pop ups.

Reality check is that we're being tracked anyway every time we log on. Use a VPN service if you want more general privacy.

Reality check: I see ads all the time here, most unpaid.

whippinpost91850

Yes thanks for getting that fixed