Editing the GR-50 - PG-10 vs Patch Base & Midiquest

Started by Biffbang, September 15, 2022, 07:07:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biffbang

I've been experimenting with my new GR-50 and I'm interested to get feedback about whether the PG-10 programmer has any advantages over a software D-110 editor (I'm using Patch Base at the moment). Given the difficulty in editing I'd like to get the solution that has the smoothest workflow/integration.

Is MidiQuest worth investigating? It seems to be the only editor specifically for the GR-50 (as opposed to a D-110 based editor)

Cheers,
Ian

bcoyle

Resurrecting this old question/post...
Did you ever get answers to this?

I too am wondering whether a physical programmer would be better than an iPad touch screen. Have you found any limitations using Patchbase with your GR-50, since it's "technically" only supported for the D-110?

Biffbang

I ended up buying a PG-10 programmer, which is definitely the most expensive option!

The D-110 editors do work - but they will only directly edit the partials on the top 2 strings - which equate to Partials 1-4 in the D-110. So top E string is P1 + P2, B string is P3 + P4. Not really a problem if you want all of your strings to play the same sound in the patch. Just edit the top E string and then on the GR-50 copy the set-up for that string to the other 5 strings.

The PG-50 is better in that you can directly edit the top 4 strings - but you still have to copy the settings to the lowest 2.

Neither of these solutions allow you to edit the "common" parameters - you still have to do that on the GR-50 itself.

But I've got to say that once you get your head around the complexities of the synth it is quite a beast! I ignore the PCM components and just use it as a virtual analogue monster.

bcoyle

Quote from: Biffbang on August 09, 2023, 05:55:54 AMThe PG-50 is better
I've never heard of a PG-50 before; I'm assuming that this is a typo? For a brief moment, I got all excited.  ;D

I am planning on doing something similar with a non-Roland control surface. MIDIOX can snoop on midi/sysex traffic; I'm guessing any 5-pin MIDI surface, which can support sysex programming, should be able to emulate a PG-10 in practice. Personally, the Flea-Bay prices for an actual vintage PG-10 just is not worth it.

Has anyone tried out the open-source Edisyn as a GR-50 editor? It specifically has extensive D-110 support. However, the author mentioned to me that he was skeptical of the notion that the D-110 was 100% equivalent to the GR-50 in terms of its SYSEX command set. It may mostly work, but there are likely subtle differences which may partially block some functionality. I'd love to hear other GR-50 owners who've played with this combo report back. 

Elantric

bcoyle

None of the editors above are specific to the GR-50, however.
Can we confirm that the GR-50's sysex is actually 100% equivalent to the D-110's? Are there any parameters, or other aspects, of the GR-50 that don't respond to an editor designed for a D-110?

I realize this is probably only answerable by trail-and-error.
Just wondering if the current software editors have any known issues when used with a GR-50?

Elantric

Follow guidelines below

Quote from: Biffbang on August 09, 2023, 05:55:54 AMThe D-110 editors do work - but they will only directly edit the partials on the top 2 strings - which equate to Partials 1-4 in the D-110. So top E string is P1 + P2, B string is P3 + P4. Not really a problem if you want all of your strings to play the same sound in the patch. Just edit the top E string and then on the GR-50 copy the set-up for that string to the other 5 strings.

The PG-10 is better in that you can directly edit the top 4 strings - but you still have to copy the settings to the lowest 2.

Neither of these solutions allow you to edit the "common" parameters - you still have to do that on the GR-50 itself.

But I've got to say that once you get your head around the complexities of the synth it is quite a beast! I ignore the PCM components and just use it as a virtual analogue monster.