dumb axon ax100 question

Started by pinkjimiphoton, June 20, 2022, 11:54:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkjimiphoton

is there something i need to do to get my axon to recognize a wavetable daughterboard so the actual "outputs" of the axon will transmit the wavetable daughterboard?

i recently got a bluechip axon ax100, didn't have the wavetable, so i bought a dreamblaster x2 for it to check it out.

the axon is working with the dry signal, and i've verified its working as a midi controller by midi'ing my gr09 to it as a slave... but i can't seem to find where to "turn on" or "choose" the wavetable card.

the wavetable's led is lighting up so i assume its working.

i have to wait on a couple parts to come in, as the memory battery had literally rotted off its leads, so i'm replacing it with a modified AA battery holder and a couple 1.2v nicd cells.

i really appreciate the advice. total newb beyond roland stuff.
thanks!

Chumly

It's not a dumb question at all, but I'm not sure how helpful I can be.  I bought an Axon AX100sb Mk1 with the Axon pickup brand new many years ago, it came with the OEM Yamaha daughterboard and everything still works fine.  I can't comment on what exactly would happen if you do not use the OEM Yamaha daughterboard, nor if there's been mods, repairs, damage due to hot swapping, etc.
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

PHac

Hi,

did you progress on this? It is very similar to what I am facing with this device.
I have in fact 2 AX-100 units and both having same issue. When using internal soundboard, the output is almost inaudible. First I thought there is no output at all, but when I turn the amp volume to nearly maximum, some sounds can be heard. I am sure the problem is not in the inernal soundboard, because I tested original Yamaha board and also the Dreamblaster X2 I bought at Serdashop - both behave the same.
And same as you - when I connect external synth to MIDI out, it works fine.
In the manual I didn't find any option how to enable/disable internal soundboard, or how to change the output volume, also factory reset didn't help. So I suppose this is some HW issue...

BTW both my devices have the battery died out too, did you already replace it with AA batt holder? Can you eventually share some pics?

Thnaks, P.

AlakaLazlo

Wild guess here...
I have an AX50, but one thing I occasionally encounter is not getting any level from a synth. 99 times out of 100, it's that the synth has received midi note 0 on CC7 (master volume) at some point. What are you using to drive the AX100?  If its a GK pickup or something similar, see if the volume knob on it is sending master volume out. If not, plug something into the midi in on the AX100 and send it 126 over CC7 and see if that gets you some output.
Hexstainocaster, Fender Strat and Electric XII, Godin ACS, Axon AX50 - Moog One, IIP and Mini, SEM, Dot.Com/Moon/STG/FSFX 110, Cubase Pro, 2xMR816, HR824, NS10M, Komplete, Omnisphere/RMX/Trilian, Z3ta+, Analog Lab, Slate MTi2, ML1 and Everything Bundle, Social Entropy Engine, ESQ1, DX7, Lavalamp.

Elantric

Agree on Alakalazlo's diagnosis

Realize if you are using a GK 13 pin Guitar

*The GK three way (Guitar/Mix/Synth) switch will mute the Synth when its in the Guitar position, by transmitting MIDI CC#7 ( Volume) , Value 0 ( Mute)  - this includes the internal Axon  Waveblaster board

Also when you are using a GK 13 pin Guitar.

* When the Guitar mounted GK "Synth Volume" control is set to "0" , it transmits  MIDI CC#7 ( Volume) , Value 0 ( Mute)  - this includes the internal Axon  Waveblaster board

PHac

Thank you very much AlakaLazlo and Elantric,

The synth volume knob and 3way switch on my GK pickup was first thing I tried - AX100 works fine when using MIDI out to external synth, I suppose if the issue is on the input, I'd encounter same volume issue with standard MIDI out too.
My next step is bypassing the guitar synth part as advised by AlakaLazlo - I will connect midi keyboard to MIDI in and send to check just the waveblaster operation.

BTW: While searching for the solutions I founds these comments:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=25350.0
"... I never removed mine, probably as did Shingles, because we knew how to switch it off.  Some others might not have had the understanding or the patience." (by arkieboy)

https://midiguitar.yahoogroups.narkive.com/bHZ8Mxsm/axon-ax100-mkii-windows-xp-editor-problems-and-midi-output-problems#post9
"...that only means that R16 is removed from the mainboard. Even if no soundboard were installed it would then display 'Axon 100 SB'.
This modification by itself could be useful for people who want to get access to all XG parameters to drive an external XG-synth even if they don't have the DB-50XG installed in the AX-100.(Later mainboards had R120 for this.) If R16 (R120) weren't removed, the soundboard could be plugged in and would never be recognized by the AX-100."

Both comments indicate there are some options how to disable the internal soundcard (althougt I admit the later is not very clear to me).

P.

Elantric

The takeaway,  is I never knew there were Yahoo Group Archives -thanks !

(I was sustainiac_93401 there)

https://midiguitar.yahoogroups.narkive.com/

gearhound22

I know on the editor you can select if you want the midi to go to the midi out or the soundcard or both for each patch.

Possibility this was turned off?

PHac

Thank you gearhound22
Unfortunatelly both my units are the older ones, so I cannot upgrade to MKII and use SW editor, I only have the front panel and there I didn't find any setting related to midi out selection...neither globally nor per patch :(
P.

gearhound22

Quote from: PHac on January 17, 2024, 01:43:29 AMThank you gearhound22
Unfortunatelly both my units are the older ones, so I cannot upgrade to MKII and use SW editor, I only have the front panel and there I didn't find any setting related to midi out selection...neither globally nor per patch :(
P.

Only thing I found was "local mode" and off it looks like disables the sound card but it should reset each power down .... I know these units won't hold memory if the batteries go in them too :(

PHac

The local mode is On as default, which means it should trigger the internal sound module. I was always testing with local mode on.
But this leads me to idea - when switched to Off, AXON sends the generated midi data to MIDI OUT only and internal modul only get data from MIDI IN. So I can switch the local mode off and connect MIDI OUT to MIDI IN by midi cable. If that works, problem is somewhere in internal MIDI route to sound module.  Will check next week when back from my vacation :)

BTW regarding the R16 resistor I mentioned in one of previous posts - the R16 is only present on non SB versions. Would be nice to know what exactly this resistor does...

PHac

Quote from: gearhound22 on January 17, 2024, 07:02:08 AMI know these units won't hold memory if the batteries go in them too :(

Yes - going to change the batteries in both my units. The "official" replacement should be Varta 2/V80H https://www.tme.eu/en/details/accu-2_v80hpcbd/rechargeable-batteries/varta-microbattery/55608602059/ 

gearhound22

Quote from: PHac on January 18, 2024, 12:17:10 AMThe local mode is On as default, which means it should trigger the internal sound module. I was always testing with local mode on.
But this leads me to idea - when switched to Off, AXON sends the generated midi data to MIDI OUT only and internal modul only get data from MIDI IN. So I can switch the local mode off and connect MIDI OUT to MIDI IN by midi cable. If that works, problem is somewhere in internal MIDI route to sound module.  Will check next week when back from my vacation :)

BTW regarding the R16 resistor I mentioned in one of previous posts - the R16 is only present on non SB versions. Would be nice to know what exactly this resistor does...

Hopefully that works! Have a good check on the ribbon cables are plugged in firmly too. I found some of mine a little loose and it would take longer to power up. Maybe even check the 13pin connector and it with some deox and those interdental brushes. Just in case there is some poor connection of the vol pin.

On another note I've noticed my MkII get hung up when I had patches with splits sometime not sure if there is any info to be had here
http://zerocapcable.com/?page_id=208