Solely guitar modelling and alt tuning device

Started by arindamliveguitar, June 12, 2022, 10:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arindamliveguitar

If all I care about is guitar/pickup modelling and alternate tunings, what would be the ideal pedal to get? My plan is to use my guitar into a modelling/alt tuning device which would then feed into my axe fx. I don't care much about the synth capabilities. I just need to use it as a pedal that can digitally alter my guitars and tunings.

This would be my first time getting into the GK world and so much of what I've read has made me slightly confused. I would appreciate any suggestions from people who have been using these for such a long time.

kimyo

the gp-10 is probably the best fit for your needs.  very solid modeled guitars. 

i had some relatively minor issues with warbles on alt-tuned acoustic models. 

gumtown

GP-10 will give you those basic functions you require, but while still ignoring the synth capabilities of these units,
if you want to step things up a bit, I would recommend the SY-1000, which gives you 3 x GP-10 capabilities.
With the SY-1000 you have 3 modelling engines, where you can have different guitar types per pair of strings,
or 3 x guitar outs with different models each (+ your normal guitar signal too).

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Brak(E)man

I'd also suggest GP-10
But I have major warbling issues with alt tune,
( the same with SY-1000)

as the warbling seem to affect some people and others not.
I'd strongly advise to test first before getting one.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

arindamliveguitar

Quote from: gumtown on June 13, 2022, 12:01:42 AMGP-10 will give you those basic functions you require, but while still ignoring the synth capabilities of these units,
if you want to step things up a bit, I would recommend the SY-1000, which gives you 3 x GP-10 capabilities.
With the SY-1000 you have 3 modelling engines, where you can have different guitar types per pair of strings,
or 3 x guitar outs with different models each (+ your normal guitar signal too).

Is the modelling/alt tuning portion of the SY 1000 better than the one provided on the VG 99 or are both of them the same? Would you recommend getting a VG99 for the same purpose? Warble free alt tuning is really important for me

gumtown

The SY-1000 modelling 'fidelity' is better compared to the VG-99,
can't comment on the pitch warbles, I have never had any alt tune issues, but I don't use a lot of alt tuning much.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Brak(E)man

Quote from: arindamliveguitar on June 13, 2022, 12:15:48 AMIs the modelling/alt tuning portion of the SY 1000 better than the one provided on the VG 99 or are both of them the same? Would you recommend getting a VG99 for the same purpose? Warble free alt tuning is really important for me

I don't have any warbling with alt tune on vg8,88 or 99
For me it arrived with GP-10 and SY-1000
( only on sustained chords not single notes nor 2 notes )
but as said , bad warbles.
Same guitars , settings as with the VGs
using GK 1 , 2 , 3 + RCM piezo
That said , many others report no warbles at all (or very minor)
so trying first would be the first step.

As far as VG99 vs GP or SY instrument modeling there's some difference in both fidelity and instrument parameters.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

admin

Quote from: arindamliveguitar on June 12, 2022, 10:10:33 PMIf all I care about is guitar/pickup modelling and alternate tunings, what would be the ideal pedal to get? My plan is to use my guitar into a modelling/alt tuning device which would then feed into my axe fx. I don't care much about the synth capabilities. I just need to use it as a pedal that can digitally alter my guitars and tunings.

This would be my first time getting into the GK world and so much of what I've read has made me slightly confused. I would appreciate any suggestions from people who have been using these for such a long time.

For that the all time best example of that type device was the Antares ATG-1 or Internal Luthier kit
but Antares inane marketing created confusion, they lost $$$$ due to  unmet sales  expectations, and strategic third party partners (Parker Guitars high end model never materialzed, and Peavey's poor support , and "Undercover Boss"  TV show episodes  essentuially hammering the last nail in the coffin  - Antares placing all their eggs on Vimeo demos which at that time could not be shared on Forum / Social Networks as easily as Youtube demos,
and 95%  of Antares ATG promos  never demonstrated its strengths.
It showcased that products do NOT sell themselves

By 2016 the CEO /and principal developer retired, sold the company  and the current owners of Antares who own the IP, have zero interest in resurrecting hardware products , or supporting a product that ceased production 6 years ago.

I own them all - the GP-10 attends the most gigs due to its small size and effiency for the task and ability to be used as a front end to a Kemper / Fractal

aliensporebomb

So the question is: what KIND of alt-tune are you talking about?   Acoustic guitars?   Electric guitars?  12-string?  I find that the SY running v1.06 or v1.07 does a great job with pitching things out of their accustomed area to a certain point.   These points seem to be extremes.

The GP-10 is the least expensive smallest solution - the guitar models are nearly as nice as the
SY-1000.  I never had warble with that device (except one situation where I accidentally was
depressing my whammy bar against the edge of a desk inadvertently while working with it while playing chords).

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

chrish

I would recommend listening to the GP10 examples section of the forum, especially the nylon model.

vanceg

If really what you care about is having the very best quality alternate tunings and pickup modeling out there, I cant recommend the Antares ATG-1 any more strongly.  It just sounds significantly more natural than the pitch shifting on any other device I know of.  That said, it wont do any insturment modeling (no acoustic, rezo, banjo, sitar, etc.).   

Seriously; If Alternatie tunings and pickup modeling is what you need, at least listen to the ATG-1

aliensporebomb

I'd like to check one out myself - I've never personally seen one.  I've seen more esoteric things like H8000 etc than I've seen ATG-1 only in pictures.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

chrish

Here's one in eurorack format, 12 alt tuning and 12 guitar models

https://www.synquanon.com/atg

"The ATG module accepts a hex guitar pickup input and performs a variety of pitch-shifting and guitar modeling transformations.

�Based on the latest Antares Auto-Tune® for Guitar module with firmware v3.32."

calendarsts

If you're looking for a pedal that focuses solely on guitar modeling and alternate tunings, you might want to check out the Line 6 Helix or the Boss GT-1000. These pedals have great reputations and offer a wide range of digital effects and tuning options without the synth capabilities you mentioned not needing. I'm new to the forum, but wanted to share this handy guideline on tuning an 8-string guitar at https://staytunedguitar.com/tuning-an-8-string-guitar . It might provide some useful insights, even if you're not specifically using an 8-string guitar. Apologies for joining the conversation late, rock on, and feel free to share your experiences with these pedals if you end up trying them out!

Elantric

Quote from: calendarsts on July 03, 2023, 05:11:56 AMIf you're looking for a pedal that focuses solely on guitar modeling and alternate tunings, you might want to check out the Line 6 Helix or the Boss GT-1000. These pedals have great reputations and offer a wide range of digital effects and tuning options without the synth capabilities you mentioned not needing. I'm new to the forum, but wanted to share this handy guideline on tuning an 8-string guitar at https://staytunedguitar.com/tuning-an-8-string-guitar . It might provide some useful insights, even if you're not specifically using an 8-string guitar. Apologies for joining the conversation late, rock on, and feel free to share your experiences with these pedals if you end up trying them out!

Neither Helix or GT-1000 feature alternate (DADGAD, etc)  tunings as in convert eadgbe, into dadgad - need a divided pickup to accomplish that feat.

The Boss GP -10, SY-1000, or Roland GR-55, ,VG-8, VG-88, VG-99 can

pjmuck

Quote from: Elantric on July 03, 2023, 07:27:06 AMNeither feature alternate tunings as in convert eadgbe, into dadgad - need a divided pickup to accomplish that feat.

The Boss GP -10, SY-1000, or Roland GR-55, ,VG-8, VG-88, VG-99 can

I'm curious what on board sounds the new GM-800 has and whether or not there's some decent guitars on there or not. I especially need decent acoustic guitar models. I wish Boss would post a list of all the on board tones that come with the unit. The pianos and some other traditional instrument tones I've heard so far are excellent.
Live gear:

Boss GM-800
Boss GKC-AD
Boss Katana Artist 100
Fender Mustang GTX100
Roland GR-33
Liquid Foot Jr. midi foot controller
Boss EV-5
Godin LGX-SA guitar (lefty)
Line 6 Variax 500 guitar (lefty)
Carvin LB50 w GK3B

GuitarBuilder

Here you go:  You cannot view this attachment.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

marcwormjim

Quote from: chrish on July 06, 2022, 09:34:22 AMHere's one in eurorack format, 12 alt tuning and 12 guitar models

https://www.synquanon.com/atg

"The ATG module accepts a hex guitar pickup input and performs a variety of pitch-shifting and guitar modeling transformations.

�Based on the latest Antares Auto-Tune® for Guitar module with firmware v3.32."

I was utterly unaware of this SynQuaNon product. Is this something they actually stock; or is it in the vein of the RackVax where you have to supply the unobtanium for them to transplant?

GuitarBuilder

gumtownadmin

Quote from: pjmuck on July 21, 2023, 09:54:38 AMI'm curious what on board sounds the new GM-800 has and whether or not there's some decent guitars on there or not. I especially need decent acoustic guitar models. I wish Boss would post a list of all the on board tones that come with the unit. The pianos and some other traditional instrument tones I've heard so far are excellent.

There are 19 different guitar tones, plus the effects have a guitar amp sim for further drive and tone shaping.
You could also add dowloaded ZENcore guitar sounds.

If you want more in depth guitar modeling, then the SY-1000 maybe more your thing (or both).
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.

marcwormjim

Quote from: GuitarBuilder on July 22, 2023, 04:07:49 PMClick "Buy it" and find out!  ;)

I'm tempted - but that I'm still waiting on Paypal to finish their "review" of the dispute I had to file over the last vaporware I tried to buy dampens my eagerness  :P 

BROCKSTAR

Quote from: pjmuck on July 23, 2023, 10:27:20 AMThanks. it's kind of hard to know exactly what's in some patches when they're given names like, "Tropical heaven".  ;D

But let's take a patch I see, for example: 12stringnylon>sitar. I'm assuming all patches are comprised of up to 4 parts which can be enabled/disabled. So if I went into that patch and I only wanted a sitar, for example, I should be able to turn off the 12 string nylon, right?

Yes you can turn off each part via the hardware 1 to 4 and R (rhythm) buttons or you can turn them on / off via boss tone studio for the GM-800 which you can download right now and look at in offline mode.

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: marcwormjim on July 22, 2023, 11:45:59 PMI'm tempted - but that I'm still waiting on Paypal to finish their "review" of the dispute I had to file over the last vaporware I tried to buy dampens my eagerness  :P 

This is not vaporware and SynQuaNon stands behind its products.  Ask around and you'll find out.

pjmuck

Quote from: BROCKSTAR on July 23, 2023, 10:34:18 AMYes you can turn off each part via the hardware 1 to 4 and R (rhythm) buttons or you can turn them on / off via boss tone studio for the GM-800 which you can download right now and look at in offline mode.

Thanks. What I'd really like to hear is some of the acoustic guitar patches and whether or not they can rival sounds in the SY-1000. I'm guessing the SY-1000 will still win out when modeling electric/acoustic sounds, so my hope for a, "Be all" unit will still have to wait. (The GR-55 never satisfied me because there were so many things it couldn't do that the previous GR-33 could, so I kept using the GR-33).
Live gear:

Boss GM-800
Boss GKC-AD
Boss Katana Artist 100
Fender Mustang GTX100
Roland GR-33
Liquid Foot Jr. midi foot controller
Boss EV-5
Godin LGX-SA guitar (lefty)
Line 6 Variax 500 guitar (lefty)
Carvin LB50 w GK3B