GT-1 Preamp level bug?

Started by Levin, May 13, 2022, 12:53:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Levin

Hi All,

I have run into a strange error with my GT-1.
I have a patch with a clean preamp set, the volume level is set to 40. I assigned a preamp change to CTL1, which new preamp is a distorted type, and the volume level is set to 72.
The change works fine, but after I change the preamp from clean to distorted, and then switch back to clean, the volume level of the clean preamp is set to 60! No matter if I save it at any other level, it changes to 60 after switching.
The even stranger part is that if I swith to another patch and switch back, the preamp level is at the right volume, 40. So the level volume is stored in the memory (otherwise it would be gone after switching between patches), but when changing the preamps WITHIN a patch, it is overwritten to level 60.
Of course this makes preamp changing during a gig impossible.  :'( While this was on of the reasons I even purchased this thing in the first place.
Do you have any ideas how to solve this?
Thanks for any effort,
Tom

admin

Save the patch tsl file

Upload it here for others to assist /debug

Levin

I have to change my statement a little bit.  ::)

I investigated the problem with BTS and realized that this is not a bug, but a really messed-up feature.
The issue is that despite you set up both preamps well, the system doesn't save the settings of the second preamp during the change! All the settings of the original preamp (gain, level, treb-mid-bass, presence) will be the setup for the second preamp, no matter what you have set for that. E.g. if you have a gain setup "20" for the clean preamp, this will be the gain of the distorted one, no matter how you tried to set it up individually. This results in a messed-up tone since the two preamp settings supposed to be different. So the system should save both preamps' settings and load the saved parameters on change. But it does not.
I could not find any other solution to this stupid feature but to use all avalible assigns to modify the preamp settings paralelly with the preamp change. Of course, beside there are not enough assign slots to modify everything, this solution leaves us with no available assigns for anything else to trigger.
Did I miss something or this is really the way it is supposed to work?

gumtown

In the GT-1 Assign, where Boss have named that assign "PREAMP" is really meant to be "PREAMP TYPE".

It won't change the entire preamp inclusive settings, only the the TYPE selection.

If you want a different level or gain for each of the two preamp types,
use another assign to toggle the level or gain parameter to the same source device as the preamp type,
so both the level and preamp type change at the same time.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Levin

Hi,

As I understand there is no way to solve this without using a bunch of assigns, right?
Can't believe how could Boss do such an idiotic thing... :-\
Thanks for the help!

Brak(E)man

Unless you want to use up the assigns it's easier to make 2 patches.
The switch between the patches is fast enough.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

Levin

Yeah, I am considering doing it that way... But still hurts.  :)