How to use VG-99 Librarian to back up everything!

Started by Elantric, January 23, 2008, 06:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

How to use VG-99 Librarian to back up everything!

A rough quick edited visual instruction guide on How to use the VG-99 Librarian.
Watch and Learn - follow the Steps - Pause as needed!
(Sorry no sound!)

- thanks to Mooncaine!

Original download quicktime file link for offline viewing - fullscreen = (best to download it!)

http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=-7922146080592545276

and the official Roland Librarian  doc
http://cms.rolandus.com/assets/media/pdf/INFOCUS01_MIDI.pdf

Roland VG-99 Workshop PDF
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=1170.0

Elantric

PS - Brent Flash adds

Here is a tip that makes using the VG-99 Librarian a little quicker. After you read all the information into the librarian you do not have to copy and paste all of it into a blank pane. There is a duplicate command in the file menu that will do that for you. If you are not editing your patches you can also export all data after you have done the read step and then import it and none of the cut and paste is required.

waterpicker

I got this info a little too late.

I had tweaked my VG99 and saved the patches in to the Librarian.

I downloaded a couple of patches from this site and tried them.
I didn't save them.

I got a rude awakening when I opened the VG at a session and realized that all of my system stuff and favorites had been overwritten.
I had tediously recorded all of the measurements for several guitars and assumed that was all stored.
This was all gone.
I blame myself, because I didn't read the warning about larger files.

A warning to all....
Back up all of your settings!
Beware of uploading patches.

My question....
Why was the opening of a downloaded patch able to rewrite all of my system/favorites stuff so fast?
Why is that stuff included in a patch?
Why can't I save all of that stuff as fast as it can be overwritten by an unwanted patch?

I'm grateful to have this experience now.
I've been getting in to deep programming of the VG and I want to be sure I don't lose anything.

RoC1909

Quote from: waterpicker on March 15, 2008, 01:25:43 AM
I got this info a little too late.

I had tweaked my VG99 and saved the patches in to the Librarian.

I downloaded a couple of patches from this site and tried them.
I didn't save them.

I got a rude awakening when I opened the VG at a session and realized that all of my system stuff and favorites had been overwritten.
I had tediously recorded all of the measurements for several guitars and assumed that was all stored.
This was all gone.
I blame myself, because I didn't read the warning about larger files.

A warning to all....
Back up all of your settings!
Beware of uploading patches.

My question....
Why was the opening of a downloaded patch able to rewrite all of my system/favorites stuff so fast?
Why is that stuff included in a patch?
Why can't I save all of that stuff as fast as it can be overwritten by an unwanted patch?

I'm grateful to have this experience now.
I've been getting in to deep programming of the VG and I want to be sure I don't lose anything.

This happened to me just the other day. I read about this happening and thought that I was safe if I downloaded files in the size range of  5-6k. I was messing around with a patch and when I looked at my settings, I had all of these "others" that someone named. Boy, does this do a number on your system. It pretty much overwrites EVERYTHING!! Why is it so hard that if I want to try a patch, I download it, load it up, play around and if I want to save it I save it without having to worry about all my System / Global settings getting WHACKED!

This is ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE for Roland to have made the system so easy to be changed. They could have at the very least put in a setting that the user can toggle so that a person's system / global parameters are in READ ONLY mode so that NOTHING can change ANY parameters on a persons system WITHOUT the need for the owner specifically wanting it too. Shame on you ROLAND!!

I am just thankful that my settings are not numerous and that for me to do a factory reset (which I did in this instance) and to input all of my parameters only takes a few minutes to do. Not like the numerous settings that others have that if they needed to input AGAIN would probably take quite awhile.

RoC

Elantric

Yes,

This is why I suggest for ANY downloaded patches - load them into the VG-99 Editor "offline" - with the VG-99 disconnected.

In this manner you can Export a new patch as SMF, with Patch Data ONLY - !!

Later you can connect your VG-99 and Import these new patches safely.

RoC1909

Absolutely!

Actually, I think I have learned my lesson in a way that ill just stick with tweaks that ONLY I can do and stay away from the patches. That is until I understand the system more.

RoC

Brent Flash

Subject: Using the Editor and Librarian

Here is how it works. The Editor and the Librarian both make .mid files but they are not interchangeable. If you make it in the Editor it will only open in the Editor. Same with the Librarian.

So, the way I do it is make all my patches in the Editor. File/Export SMF/Patch. I have each patch saved from the editor in a folder.
It is also a good idea to do your system just in case you accidentally overwrite it with a patch someone else made that includes the system. That way you can just load it back with File/Import SMF...
Once you have a bunch of patches to get started do File/Import SMF... and WRITE the patches in the positions you want them in with the Editor. I know the Librarian is what you are suppose to do this with but it is easier this way. (IMHO) Use the Librarian for changing the whole USER BANK.

Once you have a USER BANK basically set up then you can start using the Librarian. What you do is open it up and click on READ ALL at the top of the window in Patch mode. (WARNING, THIS WILL TAKE A WHILE) Then you will do: File/Export SMF/All Data
Save this indicating in the name that it is Patch data because even thought it says All Data it is only all the data in that mode.
Then switch the mode to System and repeat the process for the System data.
Then switch the mode to GK Settings and repeat.
Then Favorite Settings and save making sure you indicate in the name what kind of data it is.

Once you have done this you are now ready to create a file that contains all of this data. (This is what is so weird about this program. It has two levels that work separate from each other.)

Go to File/Duplicate. This will make a file in the other section of the Librarian. This file you can save and open but it does not load into the Main Librarian window so this is what is a little weird. Go to File/Save As and name it maybe with a date so you can keep track of updates and maybe have more than one file for backup.

Anyway now we have two windows with the same data. The Main window and the one you created with the duplicate command we will call the file window. Both windows can read and write to the VG-99. The Main window can do ALL or Selected but the file window can only do patches one at a time and can't write system, GK, etc.

Pretty straight forward until you go to use the Librarian again. The next time you open the Librarian it will open the Main window with nothing in it. You can open your file and use it to rearrange patches one at a time but if you want to read or write a bunch at once you need them in the Main window. So you have three choices.

1. You can read the entire memory of the VG-99 again. (Don't do this it takes too long unless the VG has totally different patches from the ones you saved.

2. You can copy and paste them from the file window or...

(Here is a good place to put a note about copy and paste. There is an added feature that can give you grief if you don't pay attention to how it works. Under Edit you have Cut, Copy, Insert, Replace, Delete, Exchange. If you do the regular CONTROL V or Command V key stroke for paste you will insert the patch and move all the following patches down a number so you normally would want to replace and the key shortcut is CONTROL R on PC or COMMAND R on the Mac.)

3. You can go to File/Import SMF/All Data

What I do is import the All data file we created in the Main window with the File/Export SMF/All Data. This saves me from having to read the whole VG-99 memory each time I use the Librarian or copying and pasting from the File window.

Whenever I am editing patches in the Editor I always have the librarian open and make changes to my working banks as I go remembering to export the Main window in the Librarian anytime I make changes and saving the file window when changes are made there.

At this point you may ask yourself why use the Librarian at all. Well, I would not except for that in my case I do need to replace the entire memory of the VG depending on what group or performer I am playing with. Some groups do the same songs but in different keys so I have transposed patches that allow me to play in the original key even though they perform it in another. Also I usually have an order that I can keep track of where my patches are with the group I am playing with so in my case it is of some use even though it is a major pain.

I hope this information will take some of the mystery out of these tools for some of you. I know when I first started with them it was trial and error the manuals were not much help.
Brent Flash

RoC1909

Just wanted to say a HUGE thanks to Brent for doing making a quick write up on the Editor and Librarian.

Your posts have been immensely helpful to n00bs like me!!

RoC

GrayZone

W0W ??? !

This is REALLY confusing. You guys are very smart, could you simplify this whole part and let Roland Japan know for rev.2 ?
For the newbie, it's like reading Greek backwards. Has anyone done any other Video Tutorials [other than the posted one] regarding this tedious operation?
I have to re-read, re-watch & watch out!

Roland should fund this site, as your "Hamster-tech Beta work" allows them to sleep better.
Thanks for the great job of trying to explain it.
GrayZone

XISTH information

Using Mooncaine's instructional video, I've attempted to simplify the instructions for SAVING and RESTORING all patches a little further. I hope this is of use to some.  ;D

XISTH

mateomasfeo

Good God!

All that to upload a Patch?

No thanks...

Dances with Sheep on SoundCLoud

https://soundcloud.com/dances-with-sheep

admin

Most use the VG-99 Editor

Blended Cat

After you open a patch in Librarian is there a way to convert it to Editor?

Brent Flash

Quote from: Blended Cat on April 17, 2017, 10:41:13 AM
After you open a patch in Librarian is there a way to convert it to Editor?
The Editor saves single patches from the VG-99 and loads single patches from files (.mid file) created from Editor.
If you load a Librarian file into the VG-99 it is now in the VG and you can create an Editor file with the Editor. Is that what you are asking?