Gt 1000 output to tube amp

Started by olisurf, January 28, 2022, 03:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

olisurf

Hi i tried to connect the Gt1000 to my Engl 2x35 poweramp + marshall 1960 300W cabinet but could not find a good sound.
I have tried output to recording and cab off and the different amp return output settings. But all sounded not quite as good as over headphones with the IRs enabled. All settings have a loss at tone. Maybe someone has found a better solution?
Thanks

admin

Amplification recommendations for DSP Guitar Modeling systems

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=230.0

Boisdelac

Try either Tube Stack 4x12 Return or JVM410H Return and a output level of +4dBu in the output selection

In this case, the AIRD speaker simulations are disabled.

Or if you set the AIRD output selection to Recording, then you can basically turn off the speaker type

olisurf

Thanks for theAnswer.
I tried both but tube stack return 4x12 and others sounded like you have some Filter or eq on it. Recording out and speakers off sounds better but still not as on the headphones. Maybe i have to go with some additional EQ setting. With my GT100 i got the best results with JC120 return which sounded very good, but with Gt 1000 i could not find the best sound. There is no solution to shut the poweramp simuation off in GT1000 only cab sim or?

PAH

The output select settings other than line/phones and recording do have an EQ curve to them.  That is the point.  It is to compensate for the tonality of what you are connecting to.

The idea is use either line/phones or recording (with a speaker sim enabled) when playing through headphones, lineout, PA, etc., but use the other settings when playing through a guitar amp.  The output select setting is meant to compensate for the differences what you're playing through.

So, set output select to line/phones or to recording with a speaker sim enabled.  Use headphones or a line input on a flat response full range playback system.  Dial in an amp tone to where you want it.  Then connect to your guitar amp - ideally into the return if the amp has an effects loop.  Then try different output select settings to find one that sounds closest to the tone you were getting through your headphones.

If you are going into the input on the amp, you'll want the amp set super clean with very neutral tone settings.  Whether going into the input or a return, if the amp has a presence control, you may need to play with that to find a neutral setting for it. 

olisurf

I tried now several configurations.
1. output to recording speakers off
2. output to user1 which shuts off all output filter i think because i set no user output settings
3. output to tube amp return or jcm200 return which sounded same

The best was 3. with some output eq boosting of the highs and lowering the mids and turn up the Presence at the tube poweramp.
Some sounds are now quite good but not as good as over headphones and some amps like the recti stack sounded very bad.
So i am a litte disappointed about the unit maybe it gets some new output settings with next updates
Has anyone same experience with using a tube poweramp?

Not the Boss of me

Same happened to me. Make sure you turn on the effects loop in the effects chain

olisurf

I figured out that best unfiltered output is recording speakers off today. I made A and B channel with the splitter put my engl tube preamp in the effects loop of A and an AIRD amp in channel B and set the mixer to 100% channel A 0% channel B so now when you switch the amp in channel B off the Gt 1000 switchs on off the output setting and you can compare which setting sounds similar for the tube preamp in the effects loop.
Seems Gt 1000 cannot make a speaker similation without an amp on so i put it in muted in channel B.
I think this is also good solution for going direct to PA with my tube preamp

Boisdelac

What about ... if you set within the speaker sim the aird output select to "recording" ... the microphone to flat, the microphone level to zero and the direct level to 100 ... in my opinion, this should hide the influence of the aird speaker.

I cannot try it myself, because i do not have an tube poweramp and a speaker cabinet.

lperry65

What if you just want to use the effects and turn off the amp and cab sim. I know you need to use the effects  loop block to go into the loop, but the boost/ drives would go in the front.

Boisdelac

There are two effect loops. One you can use for the 4-cable-methode, the other loop you can use as an output without a speaker sim.

PAH

With Output Select set to recording, you have full control over the speaker sim... including the ability to turn the speaker sim off.