Prospective Axe 3 buyer.. can it be controlled by a Helix ?

Started by 2pods, January 13, 2022, 12:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2pods

As above really, but I won't be able to afford either of the Fractal FC-12 or FC-6 at the same time.
Can the Helix Floor or Helix Control via Helix Rack select patches, scenes, stomps etc ?

I'm assuming the scribble strips won't work and I need to use blank Helix patches ?

Damn you UK Fractal prices !
>:( 
;)
Fender G5 Strat, PRS SE Santana/w TriplePlay

admin

Should be possible
Helix makes a big deal about their MIDI Command Center  MANAGER,  that arrived around FW 2.0
As always, follow steps here

MIDI CONTROLLER SETUP/ DEBUG PROCEDURE
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2975.0

2pods

gumtown

If using the Helix just as a controller, you should be able to make Helix patches that use the scribble strip footswitch displsys to read the axefx relevant effect or patch it will control.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

2pods

gumtown

I would add that if I were to make patches for control on the Helix, make them function similar to the ones wanted on the AxeFX with the same names to match the patch changes 1:1
and so the Helix patches will also function on their own if you choose not to use the AxeFX in some situations.

I use the GR-55 and Sy-1000 at the same time (GK splitter and outputs mixed) , both have the same patch names and similar patches,
where the GR-55 is as my main midi control, but if either device should fail, the remaining one will also continue to function well enough to carry through a gig with the same patches.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

plexified

I would not only run the MIDI control, but I would run DUAL AMPS with this set up. When you use two amps from two different sources its a game changer. It does not matter if you have two different tube amps or different modellers, its the dissimilar that adds the character. Each filling in the blanks or complimenting frequencies. Its stunning. Personally I use modelling floorboards as MIDI controllers for this exact reason.

Its a backup in the event of failure, obviously a MIDI controller, and then you have the dual amp scenario. Don't stop there and you can run them in parallel OR series for a huge selection of options.

If you ever have a piece of junk modeller laying around or redundancy in a few various units in the house, DO IT. The results are remarkable.

I have a quad channel amp and I set up a W/D/W scenario with it.

Take any of the junkyard modellers, set it up in stereo and put another junker in the center for your dry. I'm telling you, its remarkable. A 3-4 hundred dollar slayer rig.

2pods

Thanks to you both.

Really good ideas. However, I doubt I'll ever gig again so I longer use an amp (though I do keep a HeadRush 108 "just in case"  ;D) just studio monitors and headphones.

ATM I'm trying to rationalize which one of my Helixii should go, as I have the floor and the rack and control and would feel it's well over the top having both rack units in a rack on wheels with my interface, line mixer etc (though I prefer the control board under my keyboard, as the floor is a bit big), but then again I wouldn't be able to use the Axe 3 downstairs like the portable floor. I'd have to sell one if I wanted the FC6 or FC12.

Talk about first world problems ?
What a time to be a musician, having all this tech available to us. I can still remember when a Fuzz pedal was a rarity  :D

If only the FM9 was  available in the UK I wouldn't be having this conversation  ;D

2pods

Well, I caved in and ordered the beast.

It should be here on Friday all being well, but I decided to go with a FC-6 foot controller as well.
So I'll decide which Helix version is going later, though my Boss GT-1000 will definitely be for the offski  :)

macman70

Quote from: 2pods on January 18, 2022, 10:57:29 AM
Well, I caved in and ordered the beast.

It should be here on Friday all being well, but I decided to go with a FC-6 foot controller as well.
So I'll decide which Helix version is going later, though my Boss GT-1000 will definitely be for the offski  :)

How do you like the Axe FX III? How is it working out with the Helix as a controller. I gotta say I keep coming back to the Boss GT1000 for my tones, but I am intrigued on trying a Fractal Audio FM3. Curious to know your thoughts versus the GT1000.

2pods

I'm slowly getting into the Axe.
Love the the sounds, control, options, etc though much prefer editing from the computer rather than the Axe.
The editor is superb !

I'm having a whale of a time configuring the FC-6 controller I bought with it.
It would have taken me forever to sort out a compromise with the Helix controlling the Axe.
YMMV. I know it has been done, but the bullet was bit, and I have an FC-6   8)

For the price I think the GT1000 compares well to the Axe.
OK, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but what it does it does well. Also there is much more for bass players with the GT1000.
If I sell mine it will only be to help pay for the Axe.
HTH