Craig Andertons-Big Book of Helix tips & tricks

Started by admin, December 29, 2021, 05:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrchevy

I picked this up the other day and have been digging into it a bit. I will offer some insights once I get thru it initially. So far, lots of good info and eager to try out the patches. More to come.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

Chumly

I bought it and for the price it's fine. It's not earth shattering nor is it going to make the Helix Floor more gig-ready, but sure, I'm learning interesting things about the Helix Floor, and the patches are useful, and it's going to be updated periodically. What more do you want for a few shekels?
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

Mrchevy

For the most part, I feel the main focus of this book is not so much the general operation of the Helix ( this info is all over the internet), but the in depth understanding and use of the amps/cabs and effects blocks themselves. What they do and how to use them. Also ways to manage DSP. I've been reading here and there for several days now, and just last night loaded the patches, but haven't had a chance to try any of them yet. I suspect there may be some "finished patches, but also suspect that most are meant for template base patches to build from. The sections in the book constantly refer specific patches for audio examples as to what he is talking about.

I don't think this book is geared towards the "plug and players", but towards the tweakers. Everyone pretty much knows what a Delay pedal does, but this book explains how it interacts with other pedals, what effects the position in the pedal chain/pre and post amp/cab has. It's definitely more a tech manual than a user manual. I feel it's worth $20. Great tech insight, and for the average user, they could surely learn a thing or two.

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

2pods

Bought it last week, and I'm finding it very interesting.

I like the fact that he said it will be updated as the Helix itself is updated, but if there will be a charge for this or how much it will be is still unknown.

I like it
Fender G5 Strat, PRS SE Santana/w TriplePlay

Mrchevy

It is my understanding that there will be no additional charges for updates on the E-Book.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones