Variax transplant question

Started by bloodbrother, December 03, 2021, 10:28:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bloodbrother

Hello everyone!
I sincerely apologize if this has already been addressed elsewhere on the forums, but I was unable to find another definitive answer in my search. I am in the process of transplanting variax electronics into a metal enclosure. I plan to connect it to the line 6 helix with the VDI cable exclusively, so is it OK if I disconnect the quarter inch jack and PCB?
I would very much appreciate any feedback anyone has on this project. Thank you so much!

admin

Can do that

But realize if you ever need to perform a Firmware update,, you still need the Workbench VDI <> USB Interface and Line 6 Monkey. That procedure requires original 1/4" jack to turn the Variax On, and must be powered by the original Battery , and Volume control must be on 10

Can not update Variax Firmware using only a Helix and VDI connection to Variax

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=27198.msg248945#msg248945

bloodbrother

Ahhh, that's very useful information! I will probably leave it connected for that purpose, though perhaps I won't mount it.
You mentioned that you need to use battery power for updates - did I understand that correctly?

admin

Quote from: bloodbrother on December 03, 2021, 11:05:45 AM
Ahhh, that's very useful information! I will probably leave it connected for that purpose, though perhaps I won't mount it.
You mentioned that you need to use battery power for updates - did I understand that correctly?

Correct , because the Variax Workbench VDI<> USB box can not power on the Variax

This is the current version
https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/503900-line-6-vdi-interface-for-variax-workbench-rj45-to-usb-interface-cable-for-custom-guitar-modeling-software-mac-pc

bloodbrother

Awesome! Thank you so much! I'll post pics when it's done...

bloodbrother

admin

Good work

How is Variax hex PU connected?

Or are you using the hard to find RackVax GK13 input adapter?

Now mount to mic stand. Easier to adjust controls while playing live.

bloodbrother

That's a cool idea!

I primarily use 4 string guitars I have built and I am using a cat5 cable to carry the string signals and ground connections. I just connect the wires from Graph Tech Ghost saddles to the terminals on a Neutrik cat5 connector.
I'll attach a picture...