SY-1- I have a few questions about this unit.

Started by SailorCeti, November 12, 2021, 10:49:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SailorCeti

1) I know that it can reproduce the GR-300 synth sound, and that there is a normal and one octave up version (1-1 and 1-2). But what I really want is both at the same time, much like turning one VCO up an octave and engaging the dual switch on the GR-300. Is there a type-variation that has this sound?

2) Will running a RAT before the unit affect tracking? I currently have a compressor, RAT, and noise suppressor before where I want it go. I really do not want to use the loop feature as that would mess up the pedalboards cabling.

Brak(E)man

1 no , but I think there's a version that has prim + octave up but it's not exactly GR300.
2 yes most certainly the sound but not "tracking", you're better off with the send / return in that case.
You'd have a distorted synth sound as well as distorted guitar sound, with the rat in front, compression is actually good though.
A noise gate would affect the sound a lot is my guess.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

gumtown

The SY-1 is very much "what you see is what you get", so if you can not dial the sound you want from the fixed options, you can't do it.

Anything you place in front of the SY-1 is going to affect the output sound, and the resulting dynamics, but the tracking should be fine.
Have you tried the other pedals after the SY-1 output, rather than at the input of the SY-1 ?
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

chrish

If you want the true GR300 sound these do it.

Analog GR300, VG99, GP10 and SY1000.

But you're going to need a GK pickup equivalent hex pick up and 13 pin cable except Analog GR300 which as I'm guessing you know is a 24 pin cable.

SailorCeti

Quote from: chrish on November 12, 2021, 03:46:19 PM
If you want the true GR300 sound these do it.

Analog GR300, VG99, GP10 and SY1000.

But you're going to need a GK pickup equivalent hex pick up and 13 pin cable except Analog GR300 which as I'm guessing you know is a 24 pin cable.

I don't have an SY-1, I'm only looking at options right now, and haven't had a chance to test any of them.

I had two old GR-300's, but neither worked anymore, and I want something newer, so I sold them. I'm think at this point, the SY-300 is my best route. It has three oscillators and can do what I want, I think. Which is, set two oscillators to the gr-300 saw wave, turn one up an octave, and use assigns to control cutoff and resonance. I know it has a built in RAT, but I'd rather the real thing. Can I place the send/return such that only oscillator 3 (guitar signal) get's sent and returned?

gumtown

Quote from: SailorCeti on November 13, 2021, 03:40:19 AM
I don't have an SY-1, I'm only looking at options right now, and haven't had a chance to test any of them.

I had two old GR-300's, but neither worked anymore, and I want something newer, so I sold them. I'm think at this point, the SY-300 is my best route. It has three oscillators and can do what I want, I think. Which is, set two oscillators to the gr-300 saw wave, turn one up an octave, and use assigns to control cutoff and resonance. I know it has a built in RAT, but I'd rather the real thing. Can I place the send/return such that only oscillator 3 (guitar signal) get's sent and returned?
The SY-300 could give you the GR-300(ish) sound you are after, but he SY-300 loop is not what you think it is.
It is not a typical Send/Return loop, the SY-300 has an input, and a Thru which is paralleled dry signal direct from the input.
The Return is much like an Aux input, so you would run a regular guitar pedal board from the THRU to the RETURN, and the SY-300 synth would run in parallel to the pedalboard.

The GR-300 synth requirement might be a bit of a stretch from the SY-300, maybe someone can correct me, but I don't recall the 300 doing a convincing GR-300 tone.
The GR-55, GP-10, VG-99, and SY-1000 have a dedicated digital version of a "GR-300", but you have to use a GK type of hex pickup and GK13 cable. 
My pick is the SY-1000, if GR-300 is what you want, the SY-1000 will deliver on that, plus all sorts of other "analogesque" synth tones, and all the other extra goodies !! 
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Brak(E)man

Quote from: gumtown on November 13, 2021, 04:10:53 AM
The SY-300 could give you the GR-300(ish) sound you are after, but he SY-300 loop is not what you think it is.
It is not a typical Send/Return loop, the SY-300 has an input, and a Thru which is paralleled dry signal direct from the input.
The Return is much like an Aux input, so you would run a regular guitar pedal board from the THRU to the RETURN, and the SY-300 synth would run in parallel to the pedalboard.

The GR-300 synth requirement might be a bit of a stretch from the SY-300, maybe someone can correct me, but I don't recall the 300 doing a convincing GR-300 tone.
The GR-55, GP-10, VG-99, and SY-1000 have a dedicated digital version of a "GR-300", but you have to use a GK type of hex pickup and GK13 cable. 
My pick is the SY-1000, if GR-300 is what you want, the SY-1000 will deliver on that, plus all sorts of other "analogesque" synth tones, and all the other extra goodies !!

The closest I got to a GR300 with SY-300 is this track

https://brakophonic.bandcamp.com/track/good-bye

Quote from: SailorCeti on November 13, 2021, 03:40:19 AM

You can have the Rat in the send return , the return is sort of an extra input ( you can put whatever you want into return and the synth part is unaffected) ,and you can mix it with the other input and place 1-4 fx blocks there.
You still would have 3 osc to work with in any case and everything can be routed through the sane output.

It's a great box apart from the polyphony which is not good....

- Lydia Lunch

chrish

The SY1000 will give the most authentic DSP GR 300 sound. Along with the SY1000 fx section and other instrument choices (for say an added attack or sustain sound) the GR300 model extends its synth pallet.

If  you don't want to spend that much money then go with the GP10.

Many find the Sy 300 to be harsh on the ears and lacking clarity of sound.

Hex processing is a good thing and lends itself to individual string modulation.

aliensporebomb

I used the VG-99 for GR-300 sounds on this tune:
https://soundcloud.com/aliensporebomb/bleargh6-vg99-gr300
Thing is blisteringly fast for soloing.

Neat thing about the VG-99 is you can run two GR-300 at once.  Although with the SY-1000 you can run three at once. 
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

chrish

Quote from: aliensporebomb on November 14, 2021, 04:08:58 PM
I used the VG-99 for GR-300 sounds on this tune:
https://soundcloud.com/aliensporebomb/bleargh6-vg99-gr300
Thing is blisteringly fast for soloing.

Neat thing about the VG-99 is you can run two GR-300 at once.  Although with the SY-1000 you can run three at once.
there is also a SY1000 factory patch where each inst block has a GR300 assigned to 2 strings.

aliensporebomb

Quote from: chrish on November 14, 2021, 06:43:07 PM
there is also a SY1000 factory patch where each inst block has a GR300 assigned to 2 strings.

Is that the P42-2 "Big Strings" patch?
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

chrish

Quote from: aliensporebomb on November 15, 2021, 06:51:37 AM
Is that the P42-2 "Big Strings" patch?
I went looking for that patch and couldn't find it. It could have been a GR300 patch I created possibly based upon a factory patch that may have used 3 dynamic synths or 3 osc synth in that configuration, ie one inst block per 2 strings.

SailorCeti

I just need something that will do two saw waves, one octave apart, with control over cutoff and resonance, and be able to use a regular guitar with.

I have a GR55, but never got the money for a Godin guitar. The GK pickup just doesn't line up well with the strings on my Les Paul.

Brak(E)man

As I said I think there's a version, ( lead + variation ) , that has prim + octave up but it's not exactly GR300.
I'm not sure about resonance and cutoff. There's the TONE/RATE knob /DEPTH knob.
I haven't tried it myself but there are some good YouTube clips that shows a lot of the features.
I'd check them out an/or get one to try out.

(The GK can be adjusted well enough though for a SY-1000 or a GP-10,  but it's way overkill for what you're saying that you need.)

Check
Lead 2 variation 5 or 6

https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/SY-1_sond_list_multi01_W.pdf

- Lydia Lunch

SailorCeti

Thanks. I think I might be able to use 2-5 for it. I just hope it isn't as grainy as the video. Though, maybe that's my phone speakers.

Brak(E)man

Quote from: SailorCeti on November 18, 2021, 05:55:29 AM
Thanks. I think I might be able to use 2-5 for it. I just hope it isn't as grainy as the video. Though, maybe that's my phone speakers.

The SY series are grainy when used with a normal input, some of it due to the bad polyphonic aspect
some is there anyway but it can be "tamed" somewhat with eq and compression. At least that's my experience with the SY-300 and 1000

- Lydia Lunch