Boss Katana Artist MKII - Clean channel - more gain?! Can´t break up

Started by HF1600ie, November 10, 2021, 03:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HF1600ie

Hi,
Is there any way to get more gain out of this channel ?
I can see the FX Floorboard goes to "120" , instead of 100 in the Boss tone studio, but I can never get it to break up and get some dirt from it. It would be useful if I could get some "overdrive" out of this channel without adding pedals to it either from the Katana or other ones.

The Clean + Variation seems gets closer, but not quite where I want it to be. I would need it to be as it is and go to 180 !
I could go to the crunch channel with less gain, but, the base tone from the clean channel is where I want it to happen...and I need more from it !

Any hack to the firmware or ...whatever?

Cheers!

gbr13697

The EQ controls are subtractive.  You only let the full strength signal through, and the gain that goes with it, with the Bass, Mid, Treble, at 100%.  If you have them at 12 o'clock, i.e 50%, you have to double the gain level to compensate.  Many people are in the habit of starting with everything at 12 o'clock, and then tend to reduce if they have too much of a particular band.  This is particularly true if you scoop your mids, because the mids play a big role in driving the gain. Start with the EQ right up to full, and only reduce the bands that are too much.  You will find that the gain available increases significantly.

gumtown

The Clean channel is clean, because it has a low gain.
To get break up, you need more signal level going into the front of it.
Try either an EQ set to flat but with the gain jacked up for level boost, or try the Booster effect set to "Clean Boost",
either of those placed before the Preamp with-in the Katana signal chain.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

mojotron

First of all, I think the Katana sounds best when the master volume is all the way up and the channel volume is at about 5-10%. Then,
on the Katana I don't really look at the default clean channel as I would like a Fender amp - more like one of the old original Music Man amps that would hardly overdrive. What I did was substituted the "Natural Clean" and the "Clean Twin" sneaky amps to for my "clean" channel in all of my clean presets. Another option without going to sneaky amps is to use the "Crunch" setting with the gain at about 5-15% and then boost the low and low-mid by 10dB and 5Db respectively.

With generous amounts of presence (30-60%):
Natural Clean gives me a really nice Princeton tone with good breakup
Natural Twin is very Twin-like - assuming a lot of that tone comes from speaker distortion too
Crunch - with the Eq settings on the input - is a good not so Fender clean tone

Adding in some "Natural-OD" and "Warm-OD" from the boost options adds a lot to the tone as well: Just depends on what you are looking for - I always add +10 to the bottom when adding in boost pedals for a more authentic tone.