Boss GT-1: Clean settings seem to lack depth

Started by buduranus2, November 02, 2021, 10:46:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buduranus2

I've continued to make progress with my GT-1. I bought a DigiTech FS3X to use as CTL2 and CTL3. It feels a little more like a stomp switch than an FS-6 or FS-7. I'm able to use the assigns through BTS and navigating the software is quite intuitive. The "final frontier" for me is a clean tone that "feels" like an amp. I can get the clarity with JC-120, Clean Twin or (to a lesser extent) Natural Clean. But the attack seems "brittle" somehow. I'm experimenting with the different compressor and cab sims but I'm still wanting something more "organic." By comparison, my regular amp is a Seymour Duncan Convertible 100, which uses an ultralinear output transformer and (user adjustable) high negative feedback. So it is ungodly clean, but in a very appealing way. Any suggestions or patch settings you may have are greatly appreciated!

admin

My GT-1 rivals good Tube Amp when L mono out is feeding a 200 watt Warwick Gnome Mini head , powering a Kemper Kone 12" Speaker -provides more authority and typical guitar amp experience vs powered PA cabs.

buduranus2

Yeah, I'm sure it's in there. On further reflection, I think what I'm looking for is more "fatness" from the B and E strings. They're very clear, somewhat bright, and difficult for me to dial in. Probably a matter of more experimentation. BTW I'm going through the Duncan 100 watt power stage (preamp bypass) into two 1x12 EVM cabs. Appreciate you!

admin

Quote from: buduranus2 on November 02, 2021, 12:24:44 PM
Yeah, I'm sure it's in there. On further reflection, I think what I'm looking for is more "fatness" from the B and E strings. They're very clear, somewhat bright, and difficult for me to dial in. Probably a matter of more experimentation. BTW I'm going through the Duncan 100 watt power stage (preamp bypass) into two 1x12 EVM cabs. Appreciate you!

https://fretsuccess.com/what-are-the-guitar-string-frequencies/

Boost 200_to 500Hz

E: 82 Hz (E2 Musical Note)

A: 110 Hz (A2 Musical Note)

D: 147 Hz (D3 Musical Note)

G: 196 Hz (G3 Musical Note)

B: 247 Hz (B3 Musical Note)

E: 330 Hz (E4 Musical Note)

buduranus2

Made some pretty good progress today. Turns out the culprit (for me anyway) was the speaker sim(s). The Natural Clean preamp is a little hairy by itself but sounds very clean in the mix, at least with a recording. Reverb settings seem to influence the overall tone, somewhat surprisingly. Kind of ambivalent about compression, though. So we'll see. I'm going to use it at rehearsal this week. It's a big step migrating away from using an amp. BTW I recently spent a few weeks with a Avid Eleven Rack and the GT-1 is vastly superior IMHO.