Ableton Live 8 and FTP - How to manage Patches and splits?

Started by thegamemaker-fgn, May 27, 2013, 08:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thegamemaker-fgn

FTP works fine standalone. After I pointed to plugins to the correct sound library locations.
I have issues when using the plugin in Ableton Live 8.
So do I have to have 6 FTP plugin instances? one for each string?
If so, whats the best way to manage patch changes from Live? and whats the best way to work splits? Really confused as to proper setup.
Anyone got any Ableton Live 8 - FTP setups they want to share?

I worked out I have to turn off the 2nd FTP midi input or I get a "receiver not found" message.

Got some Sample Tank not loading errors too but I'm thinking I have to re-install SampleTank VST as Its says it looking in a different VST folder location to where Ableton Looks for VSTs.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

thegamemaker-fgn

Ok So it looks like Ableton Live 8 doesn't support FTP fully.
I can only seem to get the 1st Synth channel to work and accepts only 1 midi channel at a time, so no splits possible. FTP controller functions do work.
I can get more than one FTP plugin instance in but 2nd, 3rd,... instances basically don't work while the 1st one is running. Also if you duplicate a channel with an FTP instance in it, it crashes the DAW.
Anyone have a solution please let me know... I did want to keep using Live.

Elantric-fgn

www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5188.1125

Quote from: germanicus on May 06, 2013, 01:45:30 PM
Anyone having issues with Synths 2-4 not triggering?
I can load synths into slots 2,3, and 4, but none of them receive any midi information. They sound when I manually trigger them with a mouse, but it seems the midi notes only trigger the synth loaded into Synth 1.

Many of you seem to have a problem with that. While slot 1 is purple color, 2,3,4 are green, blue and yellow respectively. They will sound only if you play the neck in the region that is appropriately colored. If you have a default split setup -- the whole neck purple -- then of course you hear only sound 1. Click "Show Splits" and edit the regions by dragging them with the mouse.
Also  Do you have the patch in MONO mode? It is not possible to make splits in POLY mode.
Andras Szalay
. . . the future ain't what it used to be . . .

Zummooz-fgn

Quote from:  thegamemaker on May 29, 2013, 05:38:35 PM
I can only seem to get the 1st Synth channel to work and accepts only 1 midi channel at a time, so no splits possible. FTP controller functions do work.
I can get more than one FTP plugin instance in but 2nd, 3rd,... instances basically don't work while the 1st one is running. Also if you duplicate a channel with an FTP instance in it, it crashes the DAW.
Anyone have a solution please let me know... I did want to keep using Live.
Even thou I'm on Logic try this ......

Open a new instrument track that has 16 midi channels ie: multi timbal.
Insert the FTP as the instrument. Only 1 instance needed.
In the FTP GUI synth 1 and synth 2 = 1 > 6 midi channel in your DAW.
Synth 3 and synth 4 = 11 > 16 midi channel in your DAW.
So set record on those midi channels.

In the FTP load up say .. bass in synth 1, and a piano in synth 2 , those will play on midi channels 1 > 6
Make sure your in Mono mode. That's important !!
Open splits / show splits.
The colour of each synth is the same on the fretboard.
Can split those 2 sounds if you want ie: bass low 2 strings piano high 4 strings or leave them overlapped.
Now do the same as above with the other 2 synth channels in the FTP.
Those will sound on midi channels 11 > 16.

I've tried with 2 instances and found it's just best with the 1 instance at a time.
It'll only receive to 1 instance anyway as the others will say --- not found.

Hope that helps, as it seems like your having a mini midi meltdown  .....   ;)

http://www.fishman.com/tripleplay/help
Q... What kind of advice can you give me ?   Tommy Emmanuel's reply ....

You move your hand Up and Down that long bit and the music comes out of that Big Black Box behind you !!

thebrushwithin-fgn

Once in mono mode, I can choose FTP as the midi source in Live 8, then load in Omnisphere, in multi-mode which automatically is set for channels 1 - 8, assign instruments for 6 of the channels, and awayyyy we go!!!
This only takes up one channel strip.

thegamemaker-fgn

Thanks "thebrushwithin" - As you've got Ableton Live 8... Can you create a split? say bass on two strings and organ(or something) on the other 4 strings?

I can get FTP to work fine with splits and layers when in standalone mode.

Anyway, just maybe I'm still doing something wrong (although I've spent a few hours trying!)...I'll have another play tonight ...Thanks guys.

thebrushwithin-fgn

I never even tried a split, but my guess is you can only achieve this with the FTP software. Good luck!

thegamemaker-fgn

Ok. Thanks  Zummooz for the tip on the midi channels numbers re: 1-6 and 11-16.
I managed to create splits and layers in Live by creating a truck load of midi channel strips, these then feed into a midi strip with the FTP instance. The FTP instance is setup with no instruments, I setup the splits and layers by selecting hardware synth instead (although I'm not using any hardware synths) Its just to allow setup of splits and layers and the style functions pick/fingerpicking/transpose etc. At the same time I've got another repeat of the midi strips but this time they have the software plugins loaded into each (basically one for each string of the instrument I want, in the 4 zones).

Yes it is rather huge, and if someones got a simpler way to get Live to do splits and layers I'd like to know.

But there are some advantages: For example I can get a "layered split" using just Synth 1 and Synth 2. eg. Rhodes piano on all 6 strings PLUS Bass on the 2 bottom strings. The only thing is the Rhodes on the 2 bottom strings follows the FTP zone style settings used for the Bass, because its in that zone, but that's cool anyway.

Anyway off to play with the pedal zone... That seems pretty flakey when used in FTP standalone. Ableton Live may be a better way to achieve similar functionality.