hexaphonic system using Amplitube

Started by hp3, March 23, 2011, 11:30:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hp3

has anyone tried using a hexaphonic guitar system with Amplitube software, for the purpose of having different effect processing on separate strings? 

In theory, the set up would be:

• 13 pin output from a guitar with hexaphonic pickup, like a Godin
  • 13 pin cable into a break out box to 6 1/4 output, one for each string
  • 6 1/4 analog inputs into a usb ADC (like the M-audio fast track) to digitize the audio
  • usb ADC connects to computer
  • computer runs a multi track recording software like Pro tools
  • Use Amplitude as a plug-in for Pro tools with a different instance of Amplitube for each the 6 digital channels coming from the usb device.  So, there is now the possibility of a different Amplitube effect per string.

Assuming I'm using a contemporary computer that is optimized for digital audio recording, is latency going to be a problem with a set up like this?  Is running Amplitude on 6 different digital channels a cpu usage problem? 

I contacted IK Multimedia about this and the tech person seemed to think this should work fine.  But, I thought I would get opinions from technical minded guitarists who may have experience with this or something similar.

My goal is to experiment with orchestrating conventional guitar effects on different strings for live solo electric guitar pieces.  I know that I could also do this with a Roland unit or use StringPort software to achieve something similar.  These may be better solutions but could require more of an investment than I can afford at the moment.  These also seem to have features that I am not so interested in like guitar and amp modeling.  I am mostly interested in separate string signal processing.

Elantric-fgn

Its actually called "Amplitube" not "Amplitude"

Running 6 instances of a Guitar Amp sim plug in was the original concept of the Gibson Dark Fire in 2008. (we used NI Guitar Rig which was bundled with the Dark Fire and hex processing firewire RIP box.  Many here have done this. You need a fast computer!

More examples here:
http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Blogs/Dark-Fire--The-Inside-Story.aspx

more reference links:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31268.msg229283#msg229283

I have no opinion on the strengths / weakneses of this approach, other than the Roland COSM processing in the VG-99  is superior for my needs.

The KMI Stringport is also a very deep unit with lots of potential to unlock many sounds. 
. . . the future ain't what it used to be . . .

vanceg-fgn

I have done quite a bit of work in this exact area.  I have used both Guitar Rig, Amplitube, and simply used Ableton Live with VST and AU Plugins to process each string of the guitar separately.

This does work very, very well.  A few things to consider:
- The sound of your hexaphonic pickup will matter.  If you are using a Roland GK-3, the sound (tone, timber) that you will be working with is relatively thin and brittle.  You will surely want to EQ and process the signal before even trying to work with it as a source for processing.  If you are using another type of hex pickup (a Bartolini, or one of the new Ubertar pickups) you would be starting with a tone which sounds much more "gutiar like".    Be sure to budget your processing power to include some serious EQ as a first stage to enhance those pickups!

- You will be running 6 copies of whatever plugins/software you want to use.  This will take an enormous amount of signal processing power. 

- You will likely want to control all 6 channels at once. This means coordinating changing patches among 6 copies of various plugins.  Amplitube and Guitar Rig are very well set up to have a single instance running at any given time. Neither one of their controllers will recognize 6 copies of their software at the same time and control all six.  You may find yourself changing presets one string at a time!

- Be prepared to spend some significant effort on mapping controllers.  I might warn AGAINST using Protools as your host as mapping MIDI controllers to change setting on plugins in Protools is really not supported well at all.  Consider how you would change presets and how you would map MIDI controllers to specific parameters.

- Some effects you may want to use simply in stereo too - using a flexible audio host like Live is a great way to be able to mix hex to stereo (Protools does a decent job of this too) 

- If you are not interested in Amp modeling, why in the world you would be using Amplitube?  Why not just use individual plugins that you like and enjoy?  Why limit yourself to the very standard "guitaristic" effects that are included in Amplitube?  Why not convolution reverb, or spectral processing or other "far out" effects.  (the answer may simply be "I like gutiaristic effects"...and that's perfectly legitimate.

Lastly:  I end up using the Roland VG-99 much more often than the full hex rig. The hex rig is just too difficult to control and takes too much effort to set up and alter.  But there ARE surely great uses for full hex processing and I wish you all the best in your experiments!!!

So, just some thoughts there.

hp3

Thanks for the replies.  Frankly I am just starting to learn about this.  I will consider all of this and probably post back with more questions.

Is this the best forum category to post questions about Hex processing or should I post in another category?  Also is there a way to be notified of responses to a post?

Elantric-fgn

QuoteIs this the best forum category to post questions about Hex processing or should I post in another category?

I moved this to "Sonic Exploration" catagory.

QuoteAlso is there a way to be notified of responses to a post?

Click "Notify" button  on the bottom of this thread, and you should get an email when new posts on this thread arrive.
. . . the future ain't what it used to be . . .

Guitarpolson-fgn

I suggest the following: mix the 6 string signal into 2 channels with a small analog mixer. Lots of possibilities and it wont eat up all your processing power. Do the pre-eq on the same small mixer. Since you use only 2 channels on your computer you dont need to use an expensive audiomixer, and you'll get a nice low latency.