Midnight Call / DF & VG 'Guitar to Midi', Original, Soundscape

Started by Zummooz-fgn, July 12, 2010, 04:59:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zummooz-fgn

Well  Hello  All.....

Song  Title..........Midnight  Call   ( Recorded  at  Midnight )  /   Original     /    Time    5.01
Not  sure  what  musical  style............probably   'Soundscape'  or  'Mystic'  or  'Ambient'

This  is  my  1st  recording.....
Using  my  Dark Fire  via  RIP  into  VG - 99  set  as  'Guitar  to  Midi'  using  Virus  TI  Synth
Recording   via   iMac   10.5.8     2.4 Ghz     4Gb.............Into  Logic  Pro  Studio  9

Tracks   1  +   2...........DF  playing  VG  patch  #269  'Paragliding'.
Inside  Logic  added  Chorus  to  one  &  Flanger  to  other  +  Eq

Tracks   3  ---  8...........DF  playing  Virus  TI   Synth   5  x  Pads   &   1  x  Bass.
Set  as  mono  mode  in  VG  so  each  string  plays  separate  sounds.
Efx  &  Panning  of  these  done  in  Virus  before  recording.......1  right   then  1  left......etc   etc   etc

Tracks   9  +  10...........NI  Maschine    2  x  Drums    +   Eq

Track        11................NI  Maschine    Stereo  Shaker   +   Eq

NO......D - Beam  or  Ribbon  Controller  used  or  the  FC - 300  foot  controller.

This  was  one  of  those  1  take  1  pass   sessions,  just  jamming  around.

Playing  to  basic  drum  beat , Then  added  Maschine  drums  later.
I've  cut  the  drums  out  here  &  there , so  as  you  can  hear  'Guitar  to  Midi'  doing  it's  stuff  clearer.
After  I  recorded,  went  into  logic's  'piano  roll  editor'  &  was  amazed  how  well  the  midi  tracking  was.
Didn't  have  to  do  any  edits  in  here.

You  can  hear  in  parts  how  hard  I've  hit  a  string  here  &  there,  But  left  as  is ,  as  it  kind  of  fits.
So  only  editing  done  here  is  Vol  Automation  &  added  Reverb  +  Compression   to  Master  Outputs.

Could  have  added  lots  of  other  bits  &  pieces  ( maybe  still  will ) 

BUT......left  as  is  to  get  clearer  picture  using  'Guitar  to  Midi'

As  I've  only  owned  the  VG - 99   for  3  weeks..........

This  was   ONLY   a  experimental  task  to  see  how  Dark  Fire  /  VG  &  the  Virus  TI  Synth  would  work  as  one.

Let  me  know  what  you  think .

Any  comments  or  thoughts  from  any  direction ,  gratefully   appreciated.

Thanks  for  listening.   ;D

Cheers  To  Ya.........Zummooz

Both  links  below is  the  same  song, Sorry  don't  know  how  that  happened.
Q... What kind of advice can you give me ?   Tommy Emmanuel's reply ....

You move your hand Up and Down that long bit and the music comes out of that Big Black Box behind you !!

Melvin C

Johnnyurq-fgn

Zummooz-fgn

Thanks.......DW  &  Johnnyurq

Well  thank  you  for  your  comments.........very  much  appreciated.
I  know  it's  not  a  guitar  song  as  such, but  it  shows  the  use  of  'Guitar  to  Midi'
As  mentioned  the  tracking  was  superb  in  this  setup.

Can't  wait  to  learn  all  the  ins  &  outs  of  VG  etc  &  what  they  can  do  together.

I'll  be  trying  some  more  "experiments"  using  all  sorts  of  different  things.

Cheers  &  thanks  again

You move your hand Up and Down that long bit and the music comes out of that Big Black Box behind you !!

Elboy

Nice work.  I was waiting for the ambient, woody beat to slide into the mix.  I think that would work very well with a kickin bass as well.  I reminded my of some of the TV shows thats been on lately.  I think this type of music could work on suspense type TV where it could bubble away then come in with a beat.  I seem to be going the other way with music these days.  I started out very tech focused (synths etc.) but today its very minimal.  I have to say though i do like the things you and others are doing on here.

Keep it up and keep posting.  To me these forums only make sense if we use it to produce music with the expensive high tech kit ;-)

Mark
Gibson Dark Fire DF 2053 (currently very healthy, although the paint on the pickups is coming off!!!)
Epiphone LP custom EMGs
Eastwood Airline
Gretch projet
Ibanez AELL40SERLV
Hughes and Ketner 25 anniversary 20watt tube amp

Zummooz-fgn

Thanks  Elboy  for  your  comments.....very  much  appreciated

Yep  could  do  with  more  in  this , But  just  wanted  to  post  as  is , to  show
an  insight  to  VG's  'Guitar  to  Midi'

I've  put  it  aside  &  I'll  come  back  to  it  sometime, with  tweaks   etc   
Yes  I'm  still  in  the  tech  stage  ie:  Synths  etc  But  that  sure  helps  me  in
the  learning  of  VG - 99  as  it  is  pretty  complex , like  my  'Virus  Ti' 
As  I'm  no  expert  on  guitar......only  amateur  in  my  eyes.

I  like  doing  that,  spacey.....suspense....theme   type  of  stuff,  Especially  as  I 
can't  sing, my  Doe  Ray  Me's   etc  etc  all  sound  the  same.
No  wonder  I  got  kicked  out  of  the  school  choir  all  those  years  ago.....

From  your  other  posting  in  relation  to  those  little  box's....
Before  I  got  computer  etc  etc  I  did  all  my  stuff  on  Zoom  multi  8 track  recorder   
Drums  efx  etc  etc  think  I  did  about  136  songs  just  using  that.
There  is  so  much  more  on  the  DAW's  side  of  things  you  can  get  great  quality
out  of  these  things.......Remember  the  old  reel  to  reel.....Ah  the  old  days

Cheers  &  thanks  again

Elboy

Ha ha sometimes I wish I still had my 16 track reel to reel, it made you think more regarding planning and arrangment I think. When I went to computer recording I think it made it easy to get sloppy and through things down. I think it is good to split tasks play - record - edit - arrange. It becomes counter productive if you jump frm one to the other.

Looking forward to more posts.

Mark
Gibson Dark Fire DF 2053 (currently very healthy, although the paint on the pickups is coming off!!!)
Epiphone LP custom EMGs
Eastwood Airline
Gretch projet
Ibanez AELL40SERLV
Hughes and Ketner 25 anniversary 20watt tube amp