Stringport wishlist - Fretboard area remapping functions, velocity crossfades

Started by Elantric-fgn, April 04, 2010, 11:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric-fgn

With Axon leaving the market, and Stringport effectively performing Guitar to MIDI conversion,  i would make a request of KMI to try to match the AX100's Fretboard area remapping functions in the Stringport.

This allows a far broader range of control and multi-timberal sonic capabilities from a 6 string guitar.
Manual is here:

ftp://ftp.terratec.de/AXON/AXON_AX_100_MKII/Manuals/AXON_AX_100_MKII_Manual_EN_2.0.pdf
. . . the future ain't what it used to be . . .

Vic1iful-fgn

Way overpriced for what they are offering at this point, IMHO The vids sure didn't make me want to buy it either. They should have kept the price to $499 with all the software.

rhcole-fgn

vanceg-fgn

Quote from:  Vic1iful on June 30, 2010, 11:52:37 AM
Way overpriced for what they are offering at this point, IMHO The vids sure didn't make me want to buy it either. They should have kept the price to $499 with all the software.

I'll try to whip up some more vids that show it off a little more completely.  It is an impressive system. Maybe not for everyone, but very very powerful for some folks.
Problem with making more videos - Even if they are short, they take time, and my 'spare' time has been going to designing new ergonomic guitars recently.

What features are you looking to see demonstrated or what really looked lacking...maybe I can shed some light on those specific areas.

Vic1iful-fgn

Hi Vance, Sorry I did not see this post earlier. In terms of a wish list, I would like to see them have  USB 3.0 and put it in a rack so I wouldn't have to worry about it falling if I loose myself in the music and pull on the wire. Simple 21st centry stuff.

In terms of Video, I would like to see what this thing can do with the midi out and it tracking software.
Unfortunately, the new demo's with diane were more revealing ,(and that is good), but it still did not denonstrate even it's internal tracking ability very well. There were alot of notes she hit that did not track and she didn't even actualy play anything complicated. I believe this is still a work in the making and has good potencial, but for a few hundred more, the vg99 seems to be a more advanced tool and offers a hell of allot more internaly. In that regard, it is imho overpriced. They are open sourcing their AIM software to developers, and that is a good thing as well, but they appear to still be focusing on mac and I think it might be a while before we see a fully working PC model.

vanceg-fgn

USB 3 just wasn't out when this thing was being developed.  And...it might not really add that much!  With a nice i7 based machine, latencies are down at 64 samples!

As far as putting it in a rack - Feel free!  It's a 1/3 rack space size and VERY easy to mount on a rack shelf or other similar device.  There was a very deliberate effort to make this VERY light, VERY small and VERY easy to carry around. The idea is: Laptop, StringPort, Softstep = Under 10lbs, and all fits easily in a backpack.

It will be a while, but I'll try to do a MIDI demo. I might not be the best person to do so: I am not a big MIDI sound fan....I mainly use my pitch to MIDI to control processing....but that's a personal taste thing. 

I am surely keeping my VG-99!  That will remain my primary rig, just because of what I like to do with it. What REALLY thrills me about StringPort is the NON-MIDI synth and processing that can be done....Directly driving oscillators using the string rather than converting to MIDI...similar to what the older Roland guitar synths used to do, but in a MUCH MUCH more flexible and "21st century" way. 

Yeah, most of us are Mac folk ;-)  But I do know a PC version is in the plans/works.  Cant comment further.

Vic1iful-fgn

Thanks for the update Vance. Well since he hasn't made the PC model as of yet , USB 3.0 is a must. And It does make quite a difference in speed. I know you said your a mac guy, but try a transfer on a pc with this thing and I think it will make you laugh outloud at the speed. Good luck with your stringport endeavors. Wish I was able to participate, because it is certainly an exciting project.

Elantric-fgn

. . . the future ain't what it used to be . . .

vanceg-fgn

Quote from:  Vic1iful on July 29, 2010, 06:51:56 AM
Thanks for the update Vance. Well since he hasn't made the PC model as of yet , USB 3.0 is a must. And It does make quite a difference in speed. I know you said your a mac guy, but try a transfer on a pc with this thing and I think it will make you laugh outloud at the speed. Good luck with your stringport endeavors. Wish I was able to participate, because it is certainly an exciting project.

Well, the Mac and PC hardware would (and should!) be the same I would think.  I do a lot of work with both Mac and PC systems and have had pretty good luck using modern USB2 interfaces with current generation motherboards...but the PC world is, indeed, MUCH more varied than the Mac world: there are a lot more PCs with sub-standard performance on their various I/O ports than macs. But that's not a general slam on PCs! Heck, there are about 200,000 more models of PC than there are Mac, so I'd sort of expect there to be a difference ;-)

USB 3 is much faster, for sure.  But is it NEEDED?  USB2 can, when working correctly, transfer plenty of data to support the 6 strings of the guitar.  The question becomes latency which is all wrapped up in all sorts of buffering and interrupt issues.  The question (which I can't answer with 100% certainty) is: Would USB 3 help with this?   I don't know for sure. I've never tried any USB 3 device. 

That's the other issue: When will USB 3 be really appearing on new machines? I am holding out for a MacBook with USB 3 on it...but I might have to break down early next year and just get a new i7 based machine even if it doesn't have USB3.  I do need a heck of a lot of processing power for the Stringport software.