A Useful Manual with Lots and Lots of Pictures.

Started by squidfinger, June 20, 2009, 06:26:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squidfinger

A continuing mantra of mine....We need a good user friendly instruction set with pictorial examples and how-to's.... Charts and graphs are great for precision info but the human mind does not process information this way. With the complexity of the Dark Fire, many of us get lost in the 1 thru 25 process' (as an example) ....when a picture could be worth a thousand words. Am I the only one with this beef or concern?..the Gibson manual mostly 'sucks' in all its iterations for the avocational player. My background as a pilot, aircraft powerplant and airframe engineer w degrees as well as an avionics certification tells me that operating a modern (or older) aircraft is a breeze compared to the Dark Fire instruction set. What's really needed is 'The Idiots Guide to Gibson Dark Fire' (or the likes). I know this sounds like a 'rant' but I am often left scratching my head when a couple of pictures with the chart would yield enormous benefit. I would do this myself but I am just not experienced enough with the knowledge base that this electronic wonderment/ instrument   is capable of to write/photo the process. Many people are not aware of this, but in a pilot's cockpit environment, info is processed with pictures, analogue meters (like a watch face) and supplement with numbers. The control for the aircraft wheel are shaped like a round wheel in your hands to deploy UP or DOWM. Likewise, Flap controls are shaped like an airfoil flap. Their are many, many examples of user friendly interfaces. The first DF manual reads like it was written by a German technocrat... (No offense to the designer...Meine Mutti ist Deutsch).

I like the program interfaces with the audio programs. This is a good example of a GUI environment (Graphical User Interface). This is why computer are so much easier to use today, too. It used to be only data & code people had access to its enormous benefits.

Anyway, just a little bit if pictorial examples to start with. This will slowly grow.

Can any of us really describe our guitars as well as one picture would?......... The written procedures are actually well done...I just would like to see a few pictures to bring this thing 'home'.

SquidFinger

panrixx

Yes, that would definately be very helpful but, as you say, it needs a volunteer who knows exactly what he/she is talking about (i.e.knows the DF and it's associated software, inside-out).

MCK-fgn

I think you're on to something here. I created a set of cards for the Dark Fire which were essentially copy/paste pieces from the main manual but the reason I felt the need to put the effort in was exactly what you are talking about. I am happy to collaborate on any effort towards this end. I think you should not underestimate your position. A beginner's eye is often not tainted with the knowledge of an old hand which could keep the old hand from feeling the need to document something. I think you could take small notes along the way as you explore and learn which could be the start of a pictorial guide. Lets keep thinking about this.
Dark Fire Initial Check Out  - Q/A
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31267.0

Caig DeOxit - Buy now before you need it !!!
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31707.0

Elantric-fgn

squidfinger -

100% agree with you.

Since most of us (knock on wood)  still have day jobs which consume bulk of our time, The missing element is time, and money to make a pictorial guide happen.

As I've recently discovered from personal experience on this "project"  - the only reward will be the knowledge gained on improving efficiency on creating these image based guides -so they will benefit my skillset for my next employer - which some know is guaranteed it will never be Gibson..

The good news -  I have already reserved "FutureGuitarNow" channels on Youtube, and Vimeo - to upload self created tutorials for our members.

One hurdle  - a few important elements remain missing - like the long overdue "Dark Fire Editor"  - which will provide a Win/Mac GUI control interface - to edit and create user designed Chameleon tones ( Mag Coil Relay control and internal  stereo 4 band parametric EQ ), and user programmable Alt tuning for all 18 memory slots.

And the latest Firmware has only been around 6 weeks.

Its all part of the "bleeding edge of technology"  - with ever changing cast of players and ineffective delayed  - spoon fed knowledge from a corporate culture which remains convinced end users have zero control over their fate.

The good news - You are here, where we have created our "unofficial" user forum.

Hopefully all our members join here with one agenda ( to maintain the highest "signal to noise ratio") in assembling and distributing our collective knowledge  - to improve each of our lives as this knowledge grows everyday.

An outgrowth of being here and reading old threads is assuming "Elantric has all the answers" -  I do not.

Maybe fate and this Dark Fire Guitar brought us all together here to brainstorm how to efficiently teach others how to effectively master this new technology.   

If we can find volunteers to assist in the creation of end user created training guides and photo tutorials, or videos - lets do it.

The rich collective background each of us brings to the table in our user experience and expectations is manifold - its a resource full of riches for all if we All Contribute.

As creatives, we have a fear of putting a lot of effort on something, only to have it be judged harshly or slammed.

Hopefully we all outgrew that school yard bully behavior after third grade.

instead  - i embrace failure  - because daily failure = daily attempts at success.

Ask any High scoring basketball player, who scores 100 points, after 400 attempts.

We will be most effective if each of us gets up off our butt, and go out and attempt to do something.

As humans we are here to learn -

Point me to a few PDF examples of the type of Guide which conveys highly technical information in a clear concise , easy to understand manner - which most of us agree "works" as an education tool - and maybe we can dissect it - adopt that format for the creation of the ultimate Dark Fire Guide, and this will be our reward for the many hours we  spend here.

I'm thinking  like the "Haynes Dark Fire Manual"  - a popular UK based publisher.

. . . the future ain't what it used to be . . .

photonutalan1-fgn

Well put, Elantric, and most inspirational! Thank you !!! (putting thinking cap on)

hoopyfrood

Quote from:  Elantric on June 20, 2009, 10:20:47 AM
squidfinger -

I'm thinking  like the "Haynes Dark Fire Manual"  - a popular UK based publisher.

Haynes manuals were designed for the DIY motor mechanic and originally covered Automobiles and Motorcycles but they have since diverged into other areas including a manual for the Stratocaster and one for Les Pauls. I greatly apreciate Elantric and MCK's exceptional efforts in getting information to us and creating this site and although I don't think there will ever be a Haynes manual specifically for the Dark Fire due to the limited numbers I think perhaps we are already in the process of creating one here at FGN.
I don't make mistakes..........I thought I did once but I was wrong.

squidfinger

I think Kudos' are in order to Elantric/MCK and the numerous other contributers to this user specific site. I hope I in no way implied that one of our many and insightful contributors have not provided a wealth of information that has helped each of us along in this outstanding community. I think Gibson should be thrilled that there has been such a creative site to
push the envelope' around what will likely be features included in many upcoming guitars. My thoughts go back to when I bought my first Honda 50 (1966) and read the Japanese manual and went .....what the f....????/ (ie... insert the pointer spring valve clikers to person face the distribitor point close so not create shock circuit. care ful must be certain notch on peg no point outwart as warranty void if no do correctly)  Something like that. U get the point.

Anyway, without burdening all with the enormous work involved with a 'how to project' I think that oftentimes a picture of a knob with a peg on it would explain...turn MCK to peg position.
(what is a peg anyway?) Gibson could/should have worked with their wondertkind German engineer (Chris) who I understand developed this remarkable guitar. 'Point to the pretty knob, Chris with all the pretty lights and tell me when to stop turning....'

I think a good example of a 'how to' was the one I used recently that was supplied by MCK or Elantric about how to post a picture of your Dark Fire on the FGN website (via Photobucket.com  I followed those direction with the circle and arrows on the pix and.....surprise!....picture was not only included in post but was spread on the background of post.

So again, I would like to thank all you guys (& gals) who have done so well to figure out this suburb guitar and its terrific functions. That someday we will gave a pictorial example is an evolutionary issue and would perhaps be useful if any additional posts warrant such an example. We' are still only ten K years from our cave dweller roots and the universal instruction was a pict-o-gram.
The Egyptian's old kingdom hieroglyphics codes were not broken or figured out (in meaning) until Napoleon's Engineers found the 2200 year old 'Rosetta Stone' in the sand that had a cermimonial welcome   greeting in Hieroglyphics, Demotic and Greek . From there, translation led to the understanding of hieroglyphs and what they said and meant. Thus, a keystone. That I will be so fortunate with the MCK will one of continuing celebration!
....and thanks again Elantric & MCK for hostin this....well u know the rest.....

NOTE:(Gibson:.....are you listening?)

dicb1

I may have some things that might help illustrate MCK processes. Let me know if I can be of help.

When I first got my dark fire, and was trying to get my brain around the function of the MCK knob, I created some outlines and bubble diagrams to help me understand the processes. I created the bubble diagram first, and based it on the symbols used to initiate the various functions. See the first attachment below.

As noted by others, the organization of the symbols and the functions do not appear to be well thought through, so I spent a little time categorizing the different processes, and arrived at four basic categories that make sense to me. These are:
1.  Bank selection
2.  Tuning
3.  Tone
4.  Maintenance

These categories and the MCK knob processes that fit in each category are shown in the second attachment.  See MCK function list,below. Note: both the function list and the bubble diagram are heavily abbreviated. For instance, "#b, SP To Bank", means, with the MCK knob at the sharp flat symbol, do a short press of the MCK knob and choose the appropriate bank. Keep in mind that the bubble diagram will be accompanied by the full manual text and is just an graphic aid.

The last attachment contains a bubble diagram of the tone category, which could be included in an appropriate section of the new manual.  There exists an appropriate diagram for each category.

Lastly, I'm retired, so I can spend some time helping to put the manual together.

Comments are welcome.

-- Dick
Many friends were there.
Dusk preceded piano.
Voice lifted in song.

P.S.  I don't see the attachments in the preview window, if you click on the paper clip, they should open on your desktop.

Elantric-fgn

dicb1

These are wonderful!

May I ask what application you used to created these diagrams?

I gave you a Karma point too.

Thanks again for contributing!
. . . the future ain't what it used to be . . .

photonutalan1-fgn

dicb1,

I really like this concept; it's easy to access and makes operations flow much more clearly for me! You've done a great job categorizing these functions! One observation (literally): my aging eyes have trouble  reading the white lettering which falls under the shadowing, particularly with those balloons which have a gray background. Two possible solutions: use only black lettering throughout for greatest contrast, or use smaller drop-shadows that don't overlap. Sorry about my eyes, floaters and all! ;)

This is real progress; thank you (I've added a Karma point as well)!!! :)

MCK-fgn

dicb1, indeed great effort!!! Thanks for putting in the time. I like the way you used the flowchart concept towards explaining MCK operations. I think some MindMapping tools could also be used with similar impact. Karma on its way!
Dark Fire Initial Check Out  - Q/A
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31267.0

Caig DeOxit - Buy now before you need it !!!
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31707.0

simont-fgn

Great stuff dicb1.!!!
I think it is important to include the preset numbers in the diagram as the preset numbers correspond to the LED position in different
banks: Blue Bank E=1,  A=2,  D=3,   G=4,   B=5,   e=6;
        Green Bank E=7,  A=8,  D=9,   G=10, B=11, e=12;
          Red Bank E=13, A=14, D=15, G=16, B=17, e=18.

When in setup mode, these are the numbers you need.

panrixx

Brilliant work and thanks for putting the time and effort in to help all the members.

Zipidy-fgn

Wonderful contribution dicb1, thanks so much! :)

har-fgn

Thank you very much for creating these sheets.  :)

dicb1

Many thanks for all the kind comments.

Quote from:  Elantric on June 21, 2009, 10:14:33 PM
May I ask what application you used to created these diagrams?

It's a brainstorming app that runs on Mac, called "Curio Pro".  It will convert an "outline" to a "mind map" and visa versa, among a myriad of other things. It will output via, presentation, email, html (MobileMe or other??), pdf, as an iPhoto Album, various other image formats,  and of course, by printing.   Google "Curio" or "Zengobi" for a closer look.

This is a work in progress which got side tracked with RMA problems.  I was planning to integrate the maps and outlines with Gibson's manual.  I don't see any copyrights in it, so I assume it is legally safe to use it.  Any thoughts on that?

I'll rough out an outline of how we can organize it around the catagories I suggested previously, so we can start discussing the scope of the manual.

I'll also attach, below, edited versions of the items I shared with you previously, along with several others.

-- Dick
Many friends were there.
Dusk preceded piano.
Voice lifted in song.

dicb1

photonutalan1-fgn

dicb1,

Thank you sooo much for accommodating my weak old eyes; I can read this perfectly (and quickly)! And, your presentation is extremely clear and well thought-out! Your diligent work and dedication is greatly appreciated!!!

EDIT: You've stated you're retired; from what field? You obviously have tremendous talent and inspiration for this task; it must be based on experience? Whatever, thanks!!! ;D

hoopyfrood

Thanks dicb1. these are terrific and I'm sure I will find them usefull once I get my DF.

photonutalan1-fgn

dicb1,

This is awesome! Both of your posts today (Jun 22) are incredibly clear; when you break them up into their separate parts (which you've done), they could easily be arranged into reference cards to be carried with our DFs (as MCK did with the Gibson info). If we laminate these, we'll have a gigging reference to our DFs immediately at hand, and back at home/studio as well. This is pure genius; thank you!!!

panrixx

I would also like to express my thanks for your great work, well done indeed.

Makes you wonder why Gibson could not have done this to help thier customers understand the DF much more easily and quikly.

What is clearly illustrated is how many combinations there really are lying behind that MCK switch  :o

squidfinger

DICB1; Your MCK flowcharts are spot on and exactly the reference material that's so sorely needed. Because the DF is so revolutionary and draws musicians to it like flies, I do not think this first batch DF run will be the end of the concept and we will likely see these functions included in many future guitars (with added capabilities though I would be hard pressed to think of additional inputs). I think a 'Functional DF User Manual' has been started, in great measure to the input of those contributing to this site. I too will laminate your ' MCK flow chart' dicb1, for quick reference. Organizing the info into categories has put this 'info clutter' into bite sized chunks. My thanks to you sharing this info with the DF community.

Again, my thanks & appreciation. Excellent, excellent material, dicb1, elantric, mck et.al.

squidfinger

hoopyfrood

I guess Gibson did not do this because they did not know what the final functionality the MCK would cover and I imagine this could change slightly with any future firmware updates. This is not to detract from the fine work that has been done here by an obviously valuable member of this forum.

panrixx

Yes, I understand that might be the case but it would not take much to update a PDF file each time there is a firmware update.  Infact, when you access the fimware update site the associated PDF file update could be there to.

In the mean time, we have dicb1 doing great things for the benefit of all of us.

hoopyfrood

Quote from:  panrixx on June 23, 2009, 05:10:27 AM
it would not take much to update a PDF file each time there is a firmware update. 
I agree but we are talking about Gibson here. Remember how readily they informed us of the production delays,quality issues,delivery status etc? Remember how accurate the original blurb on the Dark Fire was, Carbon fibre pup covers, noiseless P90h etc. I think supplying information to customers is not one of there better attributes.