--

---> Matteo Barducci

admin

Boss SY-200 Guitar Synth

https://www.boss.info/global/products/sy-200/

SY-200
Synthesizer

A World of Synth Tones at Your Feet
Offering a universe of rich, analog-inspired polyphonic tones in a small footprint, the SY-200 makes it simple to weave BOSS's expressive guitar and bass synth technology into all of your musical journeys. Building on the fun, instant-gratification experience of the acclaimed SY-1, this blue inspiration machine features an expanded sound set, more tone-shaping possibilities, and 128 memories for storing your sonic creations. Two onboard footswitches provide deep real-time performance control, and you can take things even further with external footswitches, an expression pedal, and MIDI.

Standard Features
Advanced BOSS polyphonic guitar synth technology in a streamlined 200 series pedal
12 analog-style synth categories with many variations in each (171 sounds total)
Three adjustable parameters for customizing sounds
128 memories for saving and recalling sounds
Fast sound creation with hands-on controls and large display
No special pickup required—play rich, dynamic synth tones with any guitar or bass
Latency-free performance for unrestricted musical expression
Assignable Memory/CTL 1 switch for memory change, hold, pitch control, and more
Blend synth and normal guitar sounds with independent level controls
Parallel send/return loop for easy integration with other pedals on your board
Selectable modes for globally optimizing the synth engine for guitar or bass
Supports extended control with up to two external footswitches or an expression pedal
Full MIDI I/O provided with space-saving 3.5 mm TRS jacks (connection cables available separately)
Micro USB jack for firmware updates
Runs on PSA-series AC adaptor or three AA-size batteries
A Massive Library of Expressive Synth Tones
The SY-200 transforms your guitar or bass into a versatile analog-flavored synth, ready to infuse your music with dynamic, compelling, and evocative new voices. This streamlined stomp gives you 171 total sounds organized in 12 intuitive categories, along with adjustable parameters for customizing the tone and response. And with 128 memory locations, you're able to store your favorite sounds and instantly recall them while performing.

SY-200
Build Custom Sounds Fast
With the SY-200's informative display and hands-on controls, it's quick and easy to call up sounds and balance the direct and synth levels. All the preset synth tones have been dialed in by the BOSS engineers to be inspiring and playable right away. But if you want to go deeper, you can tweak three different parameters for each sound via dedicated knobs.

SY-200
Flexible Connectivity
The SY-200 smoothly integrates into your setup in a variety of ways. Patch it in your chain like a regular pedal, or use the send and output jacks to route synth and straight guitar sounds to different destinations. And with the send/return loop and level knobs, it's possible to craft unique hybrid sounds by blending one or more pedals in parallel with different synth voices.

SY-200
Powerful Real-Time Control
The SY-200 provides a massive range of control options while taking up minimal space on your pedalboard. Two customizable footswitches offer multi-functional operation with press-and-hold functionality, allowing you to control synth on/off, memory scrolling, pitch bend, synth hold, and more. Expanded control is possible via external footswitches or an expression pedal, and MIDI I/O is also available to interface with other MIDI-equipped pedals and devices like the ES-8 and ES-5 loop switchers.

SY-200
Plug-and-Play and Latency-Free
You can use the SY-200 with any guitar or bass—just plug in with a standard 1/4-inch cable and start creating. Thanks to custom DSP and the latest BOSS innovations, you'll enjoy latency-free performance that's a natural extension of your instrument, letting you play freely without altering your normal technique in any way.

SY-200
Supercharge Your Music with a Diverse Range of Sounds
The SY-200 is loaded with a large library of synthesizer tones to inspire new ideas and bring fresh voices to your music.
• LEAD—A wide range of sounds suitable for single-note soloing.
• PAD—Full tones that work great with chords, from layered pads to synth brass and more.
• STRING—Classic analog-style strings, including layered voices and sweeping textures.
• BELL—Percussive synth sounds with metallic resonance.
• ORGAN—A large selection of organ sounds, including many with rotary-style modulation.
• BASS—Fat synth bass sounds, including filtered and sub-octave tones.
• DUAL—Fat synth tones with stacked oscillators.
• SWEEP—Dynamic sounds with expressive and engaging movement.
• NOISE—Classic analog-style synth noise. Great for percussive sounds and dramatic effects.
• SFX—A variety of synth sound effects, including explosive one-shot sounds, animated pitch/filter voices, and more.
• SEQ—Pulsating sounds with rhythmic pitch or filter changes.
• ARPEGGIO—Generate rhythmic arpeggios based on the notes you play.

admin

No stereo out

No Aux Input

No headphone

No USB Audio I/O

No Guitar to MIDi-no MIDI Note on/Off messages sent or received

No Boss Tone Studio

Lower 44.1kHz Sample rate ( vs 96KHz for IR-200)

Kevin M

I think this could be a good seller for Boss.

Brak(E)man

Quote from: admin on September 16, 2021, 01:39:10 AM
No Aux Input

No headphone

No USB Audio I/O

No Guitar to MIDi

No Boss Tone Studio

No stereo or separate outputs.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

admin

Quote from: Brak(E)man on September 16, 2021, 02:06:48 AM

I get the feeling its a striped EURUS GS-1 engine, without an Editor, without MIDI BLE. (So no ability for IOS/Android Editor app, and no User to User patch sharing ) And zero editor

Probably $399 MSRP

Vaultnaemsae

I guess with all BOSS's focus going into SY-1+1s and tiny IR loading boxes it'll be a while before we see FW 1.07 for the SY-1000.  ::)
Vaultnaemsae's SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/vaultnaemsae

admin

Quote from: Vaultnaemsae on September 16, 2021, 02:39:41 AM
I guess with all BOSS's focus going into SY-1+1s and tiny IR loading boxes it'll be a while before we see FW 1.07 for the SY-1000.  ::)

I don't expect SY-1000 FW1.07 until Christmas

Not sure which year

Antonuzzo

Quote from: Brak(E)man on September 16, 2021, 02:06:48 AM

...no thanks.  ::)

Those are serious omissions – stereo & headphone outputs and no USB audio in particular. but hey, it wouldn't be Boss / Roland if they didn't hamstring an innovative product from the get-go, would it?

gumtown

An SY-1 with a display and midi,
just the missing piece of the SY- family to fully [must find an appropriate word here] the SY train.

Be a great box for those who want to upgrade next step from and SY-1.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Shingles

Designed to go on a regular guitarists regular pedalboard, in line with their regular guitar pedals.
Nik
--------------------------------
Tonelab, VG99, Axon AX100, EDP, Repeater
Godin, PRS, Crafter and Roland guitars
Center Point Stereo Spacestation V3

pasha811

Apart from the bold omissions I think this could be a very good seller for Boss. Just like has been said if this has been designed to be a pedal in the 200 series, it's designed to be on your floorboard together with other stuff. if someone wants more complex software interaction and tweaking possibly a SY 300 should be the sweet spot and if hexa guitar, inolved SY1000 it's going to be your final bus stop. I'm a little concerned about the price but if I look at the SY 300 and I SY 1000 it makes sense. I could use it beside my GP 10 for additional dramatic synthetizer stuff even if I do not expect this box to be real polyphonic. Thanks to OP for posting!  8)
It's the new mojo of reuse especially in a chip crunch economy... the same guts transplanted everywhere with some tweaks to make it different.
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

Kevin M

Quote from: Shingles on September 16, 2021, 05:09:49 AM
Designed to go on a regular guitarists regular pedalboard, in line with their regular guitar pedals.

That's the way I see it as well.  The ability to sync tempo to midi is a nice addition to this compared to the SY1. 

thebrushwithin

The lack of stereo is easily overcome, as usually it's the effects after the synth that gives the stereo sound. For instance, a Kemper user could run this in the effects loop, and return it into the KPA's awesome stereo effects. There is a large demand for adding synth flavors, for a lot of guitarists that won't consider adding hex. What I'm absolutely dying to have is a guitar simulator in a 200, or 500 format, that uses 13 pin to give every VG guitar sound from the past. It doesn't need any amp or effects inside, that preferably would  be done with the amp and effect simulator of your choice.

chrish

Quote from: admin on September 16, 2021, 01:39:10 AM
No stereo out

No Aux Input

No headphone

No USB Audio I/O

No Guitar to MIDi-no MIDI Note on/Off messages sent or received

No Boss Tone Studio

if you want the stereo and headphones out you'll have to buy the matching Boss IR-200. ;)

thebrushwithin

Once again, with this gear introduction, who would buy a GS1?
Their marketing strategy escapes me.

admin

Quote from: thebrushwithin on September 16, 2021, 09:45:19 AM
Once again, with this gear introduction, who would buy a GS1?
Their marketing strategy escapes me.

Because many will consider them different products
And local Boss Dealer is happy to have a GS-1 demo guitar  that never sells, to showcase the $299 SY-200

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SY200--boss-sy-200-guitar-synthesizer-pedal

Its a page from General Motors , the Corvette brings them into the dealer. As they drive home in the new  Corvair.

scribble58

I thought I would post the link for the official BOSS SY-200 page. Not a lot of details but it looks like a more advanced version of the SY-1

Thomas McRocklin explains it more in depth here

EVH Wolfgang
Yamaha PAC402 Tele
Yamaha RGX2
Line 6 POD GO
Fishman TriplePlay (Windows Laptop)
Jam Origin MIDI GUITAR 2
NI Rig Kontrol 3 for Audio Interface/patch Switching
Boss Katana 100 v1 - GA-FC

admin

Quote from:  scribble58 on September 16, 2021, 10:30:06 AM
I thought I would post the link for the official BOSS SY-200 page. Not a lot of details but it looks like a more advanced version of the SY-1

Thomas McRocklin explains it more in depth here

Look at top of page of 1st post here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31167.0

arkieboy

I'd guess this is going to sell by the bucketload.  And since they have the DSP/knob platform shared between different products, its going to be a good money maker too. 

I suspect the missing features noted previously in this thread won't matter to a lot of the target audience!

Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

chrish

Quote from: arkieboy on September 16, 2021, 12:36:41 PM

I suspect the missing features noted previously in this thread won't matter to a lot of the target audience!

If it had a  stereoheadphones out jack then with its battery pack, would make a good "vacation" synth

mchad

I don't mind it. Got midi. Got midi clock. Variations is a cool feature too. Can see it on a pedalboard with a high end modeler and effects and flying it in to the chain via an expression pedal. Like a blend type scenario. Some guitar synth tones are just not nice to listen to straight up.

Next on the list for Boss. A 500 series pedal format with GK13 input. Alt tunings, guitar modeling, Vio guitar, more synth tones etc etc

JiveTurkey

Quote from: mchad on September 16, 2021, 02:41:13 PM
I don't mind it. Got midi. Got midi clock. Variations is a cool feature too. Can see it on a pedalboard with a high end modeler and effects and flying it in to the chain via an expression pedal. Like a blend type scenario. Some guitar synth tones are just not nice to listen to straight up.

Next on the list for Boss. A 500 series pedal format with GK13 input. Alt tunings, guitar modeling, Vio guitar, more synth tones etc etc
THIS IS THE WAY

pasha811

Haven't you noticed as I did that all demos of this technology have mixed guitar and synth? It very rare to hear a pure synth tone. There is more on this forum with SY 300 and 1000 than in every Boss SY200 demo.
I think this might be rated to psico acoustics. If you have the guitar in the signal you perceive attack and note and synth is usually an halo around it so that it seems more polyphonic than actually is. What's your take? Don't want to say that Boss Bess age is deceiving but simply curious why they show guitar and synth more than pure synth tones. Is this a trend?  ???
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/