Boss DR-5 (Still using it after 20 years)

Started by Yadrichik Chaya, June 11, 2021, 01:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yadrichik Chaya

The DR-5 Dr. Rhythm Section is an innovative new concept in rhythm composers. Designed like a guitar fretboard, it features a programmable backing band including bass, drums and keyboards.

• 256 16-bit percussion/instrument sounds, 64 drum kits (48 Preset + 16 User)
• 400 patterns (200 Preset + 200 User); 20 songs
• External Pitch function for triggering the internal sounds from a guitar monophonically
• 4-track Composer, MIDI In/Out for interfacing to external devices
• Guitar In with built-in Tuner and Amp Simulator

https://www.boss.info/se/products/dr-5/

To me this one of the best pieces of music gear ever made, not even sure if people know about it?

It was aimed at guitarists and released in 1993. I've had it for over 20 years. I had it with me when living in Australia, even when I lived in a pagoda with buddhist monks in Cambodia the DR-5 was there...  ;D

It is portable (runs on batteries), Does monophonic pitch to midi, has a superb sequencer. I love it. I've made, without exaggerating, thousands of ideas for songs on the DR-5 (with sysex dump you can save everything, erase the memory and start with new ideas and later reload what you saved). Everything from really funky stuff, classical, Fusion, really jazzy stuff and "music" that is not even a genre... ;P

The satisfaction of working with it and being limited to one track of drums and three tracks with the cheesiest General Midi sounds ever and then later using these ideas with VSTIs and hearing the various patterns now with sampled strings, pianos, clavinets, harps, synths or whatever else is something very special to me! :)

I you ever see one, buy it without hesitation.

chrish

LOOK...here's one for sale and all proceeds go to support Vguitarforum.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=30411.0

Agree with you about the cheesy General midi sounds. Those internal Sounds can be triggered by the guitar input  in mono.

And with battery power its ready for the road or the streets.

admin

Quote from: Yadrichik Chaya on June 11, 2021, 01:51:09 PM

The DR-5 Dr. Rhythm Section is an innovative new concept in rhythm composers. Designed like a guitar fretboard, it features a programmable backing band including bass, drums and keyboards.

• 256 16-bit percussion/instrument sounds, 64 drum kits (48 Preset + 16 User)
• 400 patterns (200 Preset + 200 User); 20 songs
• External Pitch function for triggering the internal sounds from a guitar monophonically
• 4-track Composer, MIDI In/Out for interfacing to external devices
• Guitar In with built-in Tuner and Amp Simulator

https://www.boss.info/se/products/dr-5/

To me this one of the best pieces of music gear ever made, not even sure if people know about it?

It was aimed at guitarists and released in 1993. I've had it for over 20 years. I had it with me when living in Australia, even when I lived in a pagoda with buddhist monks in Cambodia the DR-5 was there...  ;D

It is portable (runs on batteries), Does monophonic pitch to midi, has a superb sequencer. I love it. I've made, without exaggerating, thousands of ideas for songs on the DR-5 (with sysex dump you can save everything, erase the memory and start with new ideas and later reload what you saved). Everything from really funky stuff, classical, Fusion, really jazzy stuff and "music" that is not even a genre... ;P

The satisfaction of working with it and being limited to one track of drums and three tracks with the cheesiest General Midi sounds ever and then later using these ideas with VSTIs and hearing the various patterns now with sampled strings, pianos, clavinets, harps, synths or whatever else is something very special to me! :)

I you ever see one, buy it without hesitation.

I had one since 1994, then decided to sell on Ebay back in 2004, with an opening bid of $100 and was surprised it sold for $300 ( about what I paid as new)
turns out this is very popular with hip hop producers because the pitch to MIDI ,and "old school" Roland Drum sounds

even has use as a rudimentary MIDI Tone module for my old Casio MIDI Guitar