Variax 700 acoustic bridge saddles

Started by tauzero, February 18, 2021, 03:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tauzero

I've just bought a Variax 700 Acoustic, got it home, tried it out, and the B and D strings are silent (and the A string is deteriorating). The advice in the Line 6 forums is to dribble a bit of isopropyl alcohol in. I will be trying that, but I wondered how to get to the saddles in order to give them a better clean. I'm a bit reluctant to just undo things at random, so any guidance would be welcome.

admin

Quote from: tauzero on February 18, 2021, 03:57:34 PM
I've just bought a Variax 700 Acoustic, got it home, tried it out, and the B and D strings are silent (and the A string is deteriorating). The advice in the Line 6 forums is to dribble a bit of isopropyl alcohol in. I will be trying that, but I wondered how to get to the saddles in order to give them a better clean. I'm a bit reluctant to just undo things at random, so any guidance would be welcome.

dead strings on a Variax (any model) is common and typically occurs when prior owner was sweating near the  bridge and moisture became trapped under the piezo saddles

these employ a conductive rubber saddle holder for the signal ground and string ground earthing connection, and trapped moisture under the piezo saddle kills the piezo saddle operating

often remove strings and gently lift the offending saddles and blow hot air under the saddle restores operation 
Replacement Piezo saddles are sold one each here

these fit Variax Acoustic 700 too

https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/114557-line-6-11-11-0001-piezo-pickup-for-variax-300-500-700

more info on  Variax Acoustic 700
https://guitarchitecture.org/2010/04/19/variax-ac700-reviewworkbench-overview/

check string levels in Variax Workbench app

tauzero

Thanks, I shall have a go at this at the weekend. I do actually have a spare set of saddles somewhere (I've also got a 300, a JTV59, and a 705 bass, and I thought they might be of use).