Noise, hum, and buzz problems

Started by SidLuscious, February 04, 2021, 10:58:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidLuscious

I picked up a new GT-1000CORE to replace a Line6 PodXT and an Adrenalinn III. It seems like the GT is bringing up a lot more noise from my guitars -- anything with compression or even moderate amounts of gain gets added buzz, hum, and typical nasty noise. This was not nearly this big of an issue with my previous units.

I have tried:

• 6 different guitars (single coil, humbuckers, and tapped pickups)
    different cables (from the guitar to the unit, from the unit to the audio interface)
    moving the unit (this helped somewhat)
    line isolator (from the unit to the audio interface, using it from the guitar changes impedance, tone, signal level)
    Turning off lights, dimmers, appliances, etc.

If I roll the guitar volume down, the noise stops. If I plug a keyboard into the unit instead of a guitar, there is no noise.

The conclusion I have come to is that the guitars are picking up a lot of EMI. Wondering if people have any suggestions other than shielding the guitars and getting really aggressive with noise suppressors and gates. (And let's just skip the jokey posts about putting me or the guitars in a Faraday cage).

Brent Flash

Welcome to the group SidLuscioous!  :)

gumtown

Wondering about grounding issues, like,  if the keyboard is plugged in the noise stops, s is the keyboard grounded through it's power lead to the mains outlet?
What do you have the GT plugged into for the output side of things?

Here is something to check...
What if you plug the keyboard into another GT socket, like loop return, so it provides a ground for GT via the plug shield,
and have your guitar plugged into the GT input, does this help with the noise issue?
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

jwoertz

I had this same problem. I reduced the overall patch volume to 50 percent and only keep the master volume knob at 1/2 (12 o'clock) now. IA also turned on the noise filters after each amp. Sounds perfect now!

Mats Orbation

I have the same problems. Tried to use the "earth screw" at the back and connect it to the room raditator below the window (they are earthed). No diff. It seems that the inside clocks an general high frequency filters of these are a tad weaker. The huge GT-1000 fares the same problem. I find one culprit, that is different from all others, is that the instrument inputs are Hi-Z at 2 mOhm on the Core. Mostly, instrument inputs are 1 mOhm only, as in most amps. I used to have a Lehle Sunday Driver box that is used to have different impedans and that one you could jack up to 4 mOhm input. Heard absolutely no "betterment" in sound, but added background hiss was exacerbated to quite a degree. I think - among others - that's why soundcard manufacturers like RME keeps their "high instrument outputs" at 700 K only to not induce more hum. They are still adamant about this, and I tell you there's a veil on all treble responses of any guitar that is stuck in there. Save for those with active EMG pickups and the like.