JTV-69s Replacement 5-way Switch?

Started by Jonahstepro, January 19, 2021, 03:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonahstepro

I purchased a JTV-69s and the 5-way switch was damaged during shipment.  The seller offered to pay for the replacement switch and install instead of having me return the guitar, but so far I'm having trouble finding the replacement switch.  I've seen some links on FullCompass but none seem to be laid out like the one I have currently in the guitar.  Can anyone help?

sandra

Hi,
Does anyone know if a Fender Stratocaster 5 way selector will replace the one in my 69S OK as despite sprayning mine with switch cleaner it still will not switch the bridge pickup on, it's OK in the other postions and it doesn't alter any of the sounds when switching from position 1 to 2 when using the piezo pickup for the guitar modelling but the othe positions are OK.

Thanks Sandra

gumbo

Quote from: sandra on January 15, 2022, 06:51:51 PM
Hi,
Does anyone know if a Fender Stratocaster 5 way selector will replace the one in my 69S OK as despite sprayning mine with switch cleaner it still will not switch the bridge pickup on, it's OK in the other postions and it doesn't alter any of the sounds when switching from position 1 to 2 when using the piezo pickup for the guitar modelling but the othe positions are OK.

Thanks Sandra

Have you first opened things up to establish whether it's something as simple as a bad (external) solder joint, etc. ?

...just saying...

HTH

Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

admin

It's similar to the switch for JTV-89  it's mounted to a sub pcb board

Contact Line-6 to order

https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/285235-line-6-50-04-0085-ui-pcb-for-jtv-89

sandra

Thanks for the quick replies guys  :)

Hi Peter,
I haven't done yet as I have a Fishman Triple Play pickup mounted on the pickguard and I don't want to have to remove and replace it too many times, so if it had been the same as a Fender Strat switch then I would have just bought one before removing the pickguard in case it was a faulty switch and not just a wire off, or a badly soldered connection.

Thanks for that information Admin, I guess that I will have to remove the pickguard and check for a loose wire or something, although as it seems to have failed without the switch being moved it seems like it may be an electronic fault and not a mechanical one.

admin

Here is genuine assembly for JTV-69

Each sub assembly breaks apart
$95

https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/240928-line-6-50-02-0321-jtv69-ui-pcb

sandra

Thanks, I was just coming back to post the same link as I found it on the same site a few minutes ago.

I wonder why it is almost twice the price  ???

sandra

It seems that Fullcompass do not allow online orders from outside the US and I am in the UK, so I contacted Line 6 directly.

They replied quite quickly telling me to contact sontec.co.uk for any spares.

I used their online enquiry form and listed the part number for the full kit from Fullcompass and got this reply:

QuoteI am sorry to say that the part that you have identified is no longer available to order from Yamaha. However the 5 way switch pcb assy is available but not currently in stock in Europe.

The total price for the 5 way switch pcb assy including vat, UK packing and carriage would be £27.91.

So it is a lot cheaper for me, if it is just a faulty switch or a fault on the switch circuit board but quite often electronics tend to blow several components at the same time when one fails so I don't know how I will go on if otherds have failed. Also there is no knowing of how long I will have to wait for them to restock the switch. Fortunately the other positions are all working OK so I can still use the guitar but not the magnetic bridge pickup or the settings that use position 1 for the modelling.